- Jerry O'Connell
Jerry O'Connell, 2008
Born Jeremiah O'Connell
February 17, 1974
New York City, United States
Occupation Actor, screenwriter, producer, director Years active 1986–present Spouse Rebecca Romijn
(m. 2007–present; 2 children)
Jeremiah "Jerry" O'Connell (born February 17, 1974) is an American actor, best known for his roles in the TV series Sliders, Andrew Clements in My Secret Identity, Vern Tessio in the film Stand by Me, Charlie Carbone in Kangaroo Jack, and Detective Woody Hoyt on the drama Crossing Jordan. He starred as Pete Kaczmarek in the CBS TV series The Defenders until its cancellation in 2011. He also had a starring role in the hugely successful horror film Scream 2 as Derek.
O'Connell was born in New York City, the son of Linda (née Witkowski), a Polish art teacher, and Michael O'Connell, an advertising agency art director. His maternal grandfather, Charles S. Witkowski, was the mayor of Jersey City, New Jersey. O'Connell is of Irish descent on his father's side and Polish ancestry on his mother's. O'Connell was raised in Manhattan with his younger brother, Charlie O'Connell, also an actor. O'Connell began his acting career at a young age. As a child, he did commercial work for Duncan Hines cookies. Shortly after at the age of eleven, he landed his first feature film role as the character Vern Tessio in Rob Reiner's Stand by Me. As a teenager, he starred in the Canadian TV series My Secret Identity from 1988–91, and attended Manhattan's Professional Children's School.
O'Connell attended New York University (NYU) from 1991 to 1994, majoring in film. While there, he studied screen writing and competed on the NYU fencing team, serving a stint as captain of the sabre squad.
O'Connell starred in the Canadian science fiction sitcom My Secret Identity from 1988 to 1991 as the teen hero who develops superhuman traits. During a summer break from NYU, Jerry starred in the feature film Calendar Girl alongside Jason Priestley and Gabriel Olds. He also appeared in the short-lived ABC sitcom, Camp Wilder with Jay Mohr and Hilary Swank in 1992. In his Junior year, O'Connell auditioned for the TV pilot Sliders (also filmed in Canada). He was offered the role of Quinn Mallory in the series, which ran for three seasons on Fox and two seasons on the Sci-Fi Channel. He served as producer during his fourth and final season, and is credited with writing and directing several episodes.
O'Connell has since gone on to star in such movies as Jerry Maguire, Body Shots, Mission to Mars, Tomcats, Scream 2, and Kangaroo Jack. O'Connell has also tried his hand at screenwriting and sold his first screenplay, for First Daughter, to New Regency in 1999. The film was released in 2004 by 20th Century Fox-based Davis Entertainment. O'Connell served as executive producer on the film, which starred Katie Holmes and Michael Keaton.
O'Connell starred as Detective Woody Hoyt on the NBC crime drama Crossing Jordan (2001) until its cancellation in May of 2007, and was engaged to actress Rebecca Romijn. He starred opposite her in the Ugly Betty episode "Derailed". O'Connell has also starred as Hoyt in several episodes of Las Vegas. In 2004, he wore a diaper on Last Call with Carson Daly, during a mock commercial skit for the GoodNites bedwetting product. The National Enquirer caught him filming the skit and printed a photo of him in his diaper.
In 2005, O'Connell guest-starred in one episode of the animated series Justice League Unlimited. In the episode, titled "Clash", he played Captain Marvel. He reprised the role of Captain Marvel in the "DC Universe Animated Original Movies" short film, Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam along side George Newbern who reprised the role of Superman, having done the voice for the animated series.
His younger brother Charlie O'Connell, an alumnus of NYU who was most recently seen as The Bachelor, is also an actor who has appeared with Jerry in several productions, usually playing the brother of Jerry's character, such as in Sliders and Crossing Jordan.
In early 2008, O'Connell acted in a widely circulated Internet video parody of the leaked Tom Cruise video on Scientology. He also co-wrote and appeared in a video parody called "Young Hillary Clinton," satirizing Hillary Clinton's 2008 primary campaign. On February 2, 2008, O'Connell hosted VH1's Pepsi Smash Super Bowl Bash, which aired the night before Super Bowl XLII and featured musical guests Maroon 5 and Mary J. Blige. On April 28, 2008, O'Connell appeared as a guest star on ABC's Samantha Who?.
Jerry appeared in Eastwick on ABC, alongside his wife who starred in the series. Jerry played a good man hiding a horrible secret. His character was a single father, a widower, with a young son who is a part of this secret. Kat was drawn to him, and she was put in danger as a result.
O'Connell co-starred with David Tennant in the pilot for legal drama Rex Is Not Your Lawyer which NBC has placed under consideration for the fall season, though earlier reports suggested a spring 2010 airing. This has led to premature rumors of the show's demise, as instigated by Michael Ausiello.
O'Connell is currently appearing at the Golden Theatre in the new Broadway play "Seminar", by Theresa Rebeck. The play stars Alan Rickman, and also features Lily Rabe, Hamish Linklater and Hettienne Park. It is directed by Sam Gold and opened on November 20, 2011.
After weeks of officially stating that the couple were "trying" to get pregnant, a publicist for the pair confirmed that Romijn was pregnant with twin girls. When talking about having children, O'Connell said "I am excited I am having girls. I know guys are supposed to say, 'I want a boy. I want to play baseball,' but I think I'm going to be good raising girls...I can't wait. They're going to be tough chicks. They're only having sex when I'm dead. If they don't date boys at all and just want them to be infatuated with their father, that's what I'm really going for."  O'Connell and Romijn welcomed their twin girls, Dolly Rebecca Rose and Charlie Tamara Tulip, on December 28, 2008.
Year Film Role Notes 1986 Stand by Me Vern Tessio 1988 Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach Kid at beach Uncredited 1993 Calendar Girl Scott Foreman 1996 Joe's Apartment Joe Jerry Maguire Frank Cushman 1997 Scream 2 Derek 1998 Can't Hardly Wait Trip McNeely Uncredited 1999 Body Shots Michael Penorisi 2000 Clayton Mission to Mars Phil Ohlmyer 2001 Tomcats Michael Delaney 2002 The New Guy Highland Party Twin Buying the Cow David Collins 2003 Kangaroo Jack Charlie Carbone 2004 Fat Slags Sean Cooley 2005 Yours, Mine and Ours Max/Mac 2006 The Alibi Businessman Man About Town David Lilly Room 6 Lucas Dylan 2008 The Parody Video Tom Cruise Wants You to See Tom Cruise Short film 2009 Baby on Board Curtis Obsessed Ben 2010 Piranha 3-D Derrick Jones Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam Captain Marvel Short film 2012 Cat Tale Biscuit voice; Filming
Year Title Role Notes 1987 The Room Upstairs Carl 1 episode 1988 The Equalizer Bobby Episode: "The Child Broker" Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss Ralph Parker TV movie 1988–91 My Secret Identity Andrew Clements Starring Role 1989 Charles in Charge David Landon Episode: "The Organization Man" 1990 TGIF Brody Unknown episodes 1992 Camp Wilder Brody Wilder Episode: "See Spot Go" 1995 The Ranger, the Cook and a Hole in the Sky Mac TV movie Blue River Lawrence Sellars 1995–99 Sliders Quinn Mallory Cast member 1999 The '60s Brian Herlihy TV movie 2001 Night Visions Andy Episode: "Rest Stop" 2002 Going to California Pete Rossock Episode: "Searching For Eddie Van Halen" Rome Fire Ryan Wheeler TV movie 2002-7 Crossing Jordan Detective Woody Hoyt Cast member 2003 MADtv Ted Levin Episode: 8.12 2004 Without a Trace Joe Gibson Episode: "Hawks and Handsaws" The Screaming Cocktail Hour Singer TV series 2004-6 Las Vegas Detective Woody Hoyt 5 episode 2005 Justice League Unlimited Captain Marvel Episode: "Clash" 2007 On the Lot Jerry 'The Move' Episode "6 Cut to 5 & 5 Directors Compete" Ugly Betty Joel Episode: "Derailed" The Batman Nightwing 2 episodes: "The Metal Face of Comedy", "Artifacts" 2007-8 Carpoolers Laird Cast member 2008 Samantha Who? Craig Episode: "The Gallery Show" Do Not Disturb Neal 6 episodes 2009 Midnight Bayou Declan Fitzpatrick TV movie Eastwick Colin Friesen Episode: "Magic Snow and Creepy Gene" 2010-11 The Defenders Pete Kaczmarek 2011 G.I. Joe: Renegades Barbecue Episode: "Fire Fight" NTSF:SD:SUV:: Mental Man Episode: "Up Periscope, Down With San Diego"
- Sliders (1997) TV series – "Stoker"
- Sliders (1999) TV series – "Slidecage", "Lipschitz Live," "Data World", "Roads Taken"
- ^ Jerry O'Connell Biography (1974–)
- ^ Sara Hammel (2007-07-27). "Rebecca Romijn's Marital Advice: Do It Backwards". People.
- ^ Mollie Lobl (2007-11-29). "He Might Be on Television, but Don’t Be Intimidated—He Also Went to NYU". Columbia Spectator. http://www.columbiaspectator.com/node/27795.
- ^ "THAT ALL DEPENDS ...". People. 2004-11-08. http://www.people.com/people/gallery/0,,750117_8,00.html. Retrieved 2008-01-27.
- ^ "In-Depend-Ence". Jerry O'Connell Fansite. 2004-11-27. http://www.jerryoconnellfansite.com/news/diapers.jpg. Retrieved 2008-01-27.
- ^ "Photos from Last Call with Carson Daly". Jerry O'Connell Fansite. 2004-11-29. http://www.jerryoconnellfansite.com/news/news_11-04.htm. Retrieved 2008-01-27.
- ^ Jerry Connell Parody of Tom Cruise Scientology Video
- ^  Campaign satire: 'Young Hillary Clinton' explains HRC campaign to us as if we were 10 years old]
- ^ Breaking News – Mary J Blige, Maroon 5 Touch Down in Glendale, Arizona to Perform at 'The VH1 Pepsi Smash Super Bowl Bash' Premiering on Saturday, February 2 at 9 PM* | TheFutonCritic.com
- ^ Live Review: Pepsi Smash Super Bowl Bash with Mary J. Blige, Maroon 5 >> LiveDaily
- ^ http://www.fox.com/programming/shows/new/donotdisturb.htm
- ^ http://www.popeater.com/television/article/do-not-disturb-cancelled-already/189075
- ^ Natalie Abrams. "Death, Jerry O'Connell Come to Eastwick". TVGuide.com. http://www.tvguide.com/News/Eastwick-Death-OConnell-1011280.aspx.
- ^ "Jerry O'Connell Goes Wild on the Set of Piranha". DreadCentral. http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/35453/jerry-oconnell-goes-wild-set-piranha.
- ^ "Hot Chicks in Bikinis Going 'Wild, Wild' with Jerry O'Connell on the Set of 'Piranha'!". BloodyDisgusting. http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/18794.
- ^ "Jerry O'Connell to co-star in NBC pilot". The Hollywood Reporter. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i6b990557a161eea8e1e6f43744c5a0a8.
- ^ Michael Ausiello. "Exclusive: 'Rex Is Not Your Lawyer' DOA at NBC?". Entertainment Weekly. http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/01/24/nbc-delays-rex-is-not-your-lawyer.
- ^ Ulrica Wihlborg (2007-07-15). "Rebecca Romijn Weds Jerry O'Connell". People. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20046336,00.html.
- ^ Mayor Charles Witkowski of Jersey City pictures from history photos on webshots
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Polish ancestry Politicians
- ^ http://www.celebrity-babies.com/2008/08/jerry-oconnel-1.html
- ^ Marisa Laudadio. "Rebecca Romijn Welcomes Twin Girls". People. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20245814,00.html.
- ^ "Jerry O'Connell Enrolls in Law School". US magazine. August 13, 2009. http://www.usmagazine.com/celebritynews/news/jerry-oconnell-enrolls-in-law-school-2009138.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.