- Vesicovaginal fistula
Name = PAGENAME
DiseasesDB = 13837
ICD10 = ICD10|N|82|0|n|80
ICD9 = ICD9|619.0
eMedicineSubj = med
eMedicineTopic = 3321
MeshID = D014719
Vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) is a subtype of female urogenital
VVF is an abnormal fistulous tract extending between the bladder and the
vaginathat allows the continuous involuntary discharge of urineinto the vaginal vault.
In addition to the medical
sequelaefrom these fistulas, they often have a profound effect on the patient's emotional well-being.
It is often caused by childbirth (in which case it is known as an
obstetric fistula), when a prolonged labor presses the unborn child tightly against the pelvis, cutting off blood flow to the vesicovaginal wall. The affected tissue may necrotize, leaving a hole.
Vaginal fistulas can also result from violent rape. This injury has become common in some war zones, where rape is used as a weapon against civilian populations. As a result, some health centers in countries such as the Democratic Republic of Congo have begun to specialize in the surgical repair of vaginal fistulas.
It can also be associated with
hysterectomy.cite journal |author=Kochakarn W, Pummangura W |title=A new dimension in vesicovaginal fistula management: an 8-year experience at Ramathibodi hospital |journal=Asian J Surg |volume=30 |issue=4 |pages=267–71 |year=2007 |month=October |pmid=17962130 |doi= |url=http://ajws.elsevier.com/ajws_pubmed/pubmed_switch.asp?journal_issn=1015-9584&art_pub_year=2007&%20art_pub_month=10&art_pub_vol=30&art_sp=267]
Double dye test
* [http://www.fightfistula.org One By One] - a nonprofit organization working to eliminate obstetric fistula.
* [http://www.forwarduk.org.uk FORWARD] - a charity that works to eliminate [http://www.forwarduk.org.uk/key-issues/fistula VVF/fistula ] and gender-based discriminatory practices such as [http://www.forwarduk.org.uk/key-issues/fgm FGM] and [http://www.forwarduk.org.uk/key-issues/child-marriage child marriage] which can cause VVF
* [http://www.fistulafoundation.org Fistula Foundation] - supporting the work of the Hamlin Fistula Hospitals in Ethiopia.
* [http://www.hmc.psu.edu/healthinfo/uz/vesicovaginalfistula.htm PSU]
* [http://www.womenshealthsection.com/content/urog/urogvvf002.php3 Women's Health and Education Center]
* [http://www.urotoday.com/browse_categories/urologic_trauma_and_reconstruction/fistula.html Urinary Fistula]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.