- List of minor Mobile Suit Gundam SEED spacecraft
This is a list of fictional spacecraft from the Japanese science fiction franchise Mobile Suit Gundam SEED.
- 1 Earth Alliance
- 1.1 Agamemnon-class carrier
- 1.2 Drake-class escort ship
- 1.3 Girty Lue-class battleship
- 1.4 Nelson-class battleship
- 2 ZAFT
- 2.1 Laurasia-class frigate
- 2.2 Nazca-class destroyer
- 3 Orb Union
- 4 Other
- 5 See also
- 6 References
The Agamemnon-class carrier is a large, wedge-shaped carrier that can carry up to twelve mobile armors or mobile suits and deploy them rapidly using the linear catapults on either edge of the ship. The Agamemnon class is the largest warship in the Earth Alliance and OMNI Enforcer until the development of the Archangel-class assault ship. Some ships of the class are also operated by Three Ships Alliance. Their role in Cosmic Era universe is similar to the real world aircraft carrier. They are also known as the 300-meter class warship.
Design and construction
The wedge-shaped Agamemnon class carrier originally designed as mobile armor carrier for Earth Alliance's space fleet, primarily to carry TS-MA2 Moebius. Later, after development of mobile suits by Earth Alliance, she also carried GAT-01 Strike Daggers.
For deploying mobile armor, she is equipped with two linear catapults on either edge of the ship. These catapults were also used by GAT-01 Strike Dagger when they were available. She also has extensive bridge facilities for service as a flagship. However, she is only fitted with two large twin-barrel beam gun as offensive weapons.
In CE 73, the Agamemnon fleet has been heavily modified, with the formerly sleek wedge widened across the beam and split into a fork arrangement to accommodate the new thickened and lengthened superstructure amidships for stand-up launch facilities for the GAT-02L2 Dagger L and GAT-04 Windam mobile suits.
With the new arrangement, the former deck-edge linear catapults have been eliminated and all mobile weapons launch from the centerline catapult instead. While this allows the Mobile Suits which launch from the carrier to equip Striker Packs, Mobile Suits can only be launched one at a time, which halves the ships deploying speed.
The Agamemnon class was the largest in OMNI Enforcer until the development of the Archangel-class assault ship. Although her two twin-barrel beam gun is relatively powerful, she lacks other armaments.
The wedge-shaped Agamemnon class carriers usually served as flagships for the space fleets of the Earth Alliance. The Agamemnon class carrier was also used to deploy nuclear-equipped TS-MA2 Moebius mobile armors, which attacked ZAFT's Boaz fortress, and later PLANT itself, with nuclear missiles.
Agamemnon The Agamemnon is the lead ship of the Agamemnon class. She and the Menelaos are named for Greek mythological heroes.
Menelaos The Menelaos is the flagship of the Earth Alliance's 8th Fleet, which was under the command of Rear Admiral Lewis Halberton. She was destroyed at Battle of Orbit along with the rest of the 8th fleet.
Roosevelt The Roosevelt, named for U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt, was the flagship of a squadron of TS-MA2 Moebius mobile armors carrying nuclear missiles on February 14, C.E. 70. One of the squadron used nuclear weapons to destroy the Junius 7 Colony, starting the Bloody Valentine War.
Washington, Doolittle and Oda Nobunaga The ships Washington (named for U.S. President George Washington), Doolittle (named for General Doolittle and Oda Nobunaga (named for the 16th century Japanese warlord) were part of the five ship battlegroup composed of the Dominion and four Agamemnons that launched the Moebius nuclear squadrons at the Second Battle of Jachin Due. The Doolittle was the flagship of Admiral William Sutherland, a member of Blue Cosmos. All four Agamemnon ships met their end at the hands of Yzak Joule in his GAT-X102 Duel "Assault Shroud", Kira Yamato in his ZGMF-X10A Freedom Gundam, and Dearka Elsman in his GAT-X103 Buster Gundam.
Ortigia The Ortigia was an Agamemnon-class carrier under the command of Captain Meriol Pristis, a member of the Eurasian Federation's "Special Operatives X". After Pristis went rogue with Canard Pars, the crew forged their own mercenary group, retaining the name "X", with the Ortigia as their flagship. At some point after Mercenary Unit X split from the Earth Alliance, the Ortigia was modified with a large blade-like spar on its bow, which contained an enlarged version of the lightwave shield generators used by Pars' Hyperion and Dreadnought H mobile suits.
Agamemnon-class carrier specification
Ships of the class: Agamemnon, Menelaos, Ortigia, Washington, Doolittle, Roosevelt, Oda Nobunaga
Length : 300 meters
Propulsion : unknown
Armament: Dual high-energy beam cannon x2
Linear catapults: 2 (CE 71), 1 (CE 73 Refit)
- (C.E. 71): TS-MA2 Moebius or GAT-01 Strike Dagger x12
- (C.E. 73 refit) : GAT-02L2 Dagger L or GAT-04 Windam x12
Drake-class escort ship
The Drake-class escort ship is a light space warship designed primarily for combat against fighters and mobile suits. The ships of the class are manufactured and mainly operated by Earth Alliance. Some ships of the class are also operated by the Three Ships Alliance. The Drake-class ships also known as 130-meter class warships; they are functionally equivalent to the contemporary destroyer.
Design and Construction
Late in the war, the Drake-class ships are used to deliver nuclear arms and GAT-01 Strike Dagger mobile suits, the latter going into combat lashed to the ships' hulls.
Two years after the first war the Drake-class ships are still in service, but like the other Alliance ships have undergone some modifications. Two linear catapults have been added between the missile pods, allowing them to carry and launch mobile suits into battle. Unlike the Nelson-class battleships, where the mobile suits simply float into the catapult for launch, the Drake class have an arm that places the suit on the catapult for launch. However, due to the restricted space the suits cannot be equipped with any mission packs.
In CE 74, some Drake-class vessels were further upgraded with a large positron reflector shield, which was mounted on a spar attached to the bow.
- Earth Alliance Service . The Drake class escort ship usually employed to escort Nelson class battleship or Agamemnon class carrier. In some battles, they are used to deliver nuclear arms.
- Bernard and the Law are members of the advance force which comes to meet the Archangel.
- Seleukos, Antigonos, Xerxes, and Belgrano are members of the Earth Alliance's 8th Fleet, which was under the command of Rear Admiral Lewis Halberton. They were destroyed at Battle of Orbit.
- Three Ships Alliance Service . At least five Drake class escort ships had been seen serving Three Ships Alliance at The Battle of Messiah. It is presumed that those ships came from defecting Earth Alliance officers.
Drake-class escort ship specification
Ships of the class: Drake, Bernard, Law, Antigonos, Xerxes, Seleukos, Belgrano
Length : 130 meters
Armament: "Igelstellung" 75 mm Vulcan cannon x2, VLS x4, 10-cell missile launcher x4, triple-tube torpedo launcher x2, (C.E. 74 refit) positron reflector shield x1
Linear catapults: 2 (CE 73 Refit)
- (C.E. 71): TS-MA2 Moebius or GAT-01 Strike Dagger x3
- (C.E. 73 refit) : GAT-02L2 Dagger L x4
- The Drake class is named for 16th-century English naval hero Vice Admiral Sir Francis Drake.
- The Bernard and the Law are named for Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery. See the Montgomery, a Nelson-class battleship of the same fleet mentioned further down.
- The Antigonos is named for the Hellenistic king in the 4th century BC. He was one of the generals of Alexander the Great, and in 333 BC he was appointed governor of Phrygia.
- The Xerxes is named for the two Persian kings of the Achaemenid dynasty: Xerxes I, reigned 485–465 BC and Xerxes II, reigned 424 BC.
- The Seleukos is named for Seleucus I Nicator, who was part of the military aristocracy that contributed to the rise of Macedonian power under Philip II and Alexander the Great.
- The Belgrano is named for Manuel Belgrano, an Argentine politician and military leader. The ARA General Belgrano light cruiser (formerly USS Phoenix), sunk during the Falkland War, is also named after him.
Girty Lue-class battleship
Girty Lue-class Battleship First appearance Gundam SEED Destiny Episode 2 Affiliation Phantom Pain Launched Around October C.E. 73 General characteristics Fighters
(Girty Lue)(Nana Buluku)
GAT-02L2 Dagger L x6
GAT-01A2R Slaughter Dagger x8
GAT-X103AP Verde Buster
GAT-X105E Strike Noir
Armaments "Gottfried Mk. 71" 225cm dual high-energy beam cannon x6
"Igelstellung" multi-barrel CIWS x10
"Corinthos" vertical missile launcher x38
rocket anchor x1
anti-beam depth charge launchers
Propulsion unknown, Detachable gas jet thruster x2 Length 380 meters
Girty Lue-class Battleship are stealth warships both manufactured and operated by Earth Alliance. This ship class has features reminiscent of the Earth Alliance's earlier Archangel-class assault ships.
This ship class, similar to the Archangel class, are functionally equivalent to the modern real world aircraft carrier as their main usage being to launch and recover mobile suits and mobile armors. Also similar to Archangel class design, these ships of the class are also a very heavily armed battleship. However, as these ships incorporate stealth design, they are primarily deployed to ambush.
Design and construction
While the Girty Lue class has some features clearly reminiscent of Archangel class assault ships, unlike Archangel, the Girty Lue class ships is designed with stealth concepts in mind. It also bears no markings of any kind, so the Earth Alliance can deny its existence if necessary.
They are equipped with Mirage Colloid cloaking system. This system, illegal under the terms of the Treaty of Junius, can prevent detection of the ship. This illegal status may lead to another reason to deny their existence.
Additionally, the Girty Lue can also mount a pair of external thrusters to prevent detection by thermal sensors. These thrusters function by expelling inert gas from their nozzles. While this method is much slower than conventional thrusters, it makes the ship virtually undetectable while cloaked. These thrusters and their accompanying gas tanks can be jettisoned when the propellant is expended.
Unlike the Archangel and comparable ZAFT's Minerva, the Girty Lue is incapable of atmospheric flight, so after the Armory One attack, Neo Roanoke and his Phantom Pain detachment disembark.
The Girty Lue is the Earth Alliance flagship of Neo Roanoke's 81st Independent Mobile Battalion, also known as Logos' private army "Phantom Pain". The ship was deployed in late CE 73 to launch a sneak attack on the ZAFT base, Armory One, in which three prototype Gundam mobile suits were stolen and several ZAFT warships destroyed or disabled. ZAFT's new battleship Minerva launched in pursuit of the Girty Lue, but ultimately the Earth Alliance vessel escaped and delivered its stolen mobile suits to Earth. During the battle the Girty Lue detached the wings of the battleship, hitting the Minerva head on.
The Girty Lue is later seen stationed on the Daedalus lunar base as an escape vessel for Logos/Blue Cosmos leader Lord Djibril, who commanded the attack on PLANT from this base. When the Minerva attacked the base, Djibril tried to escape in the Girty Lue but as soon as the ship reached the surface it was detected by Rey Za Burrel who used the DRAGOON system of his ZGMF-X666S Legend to destroy the ship, killing Djibril in the process.
The Nana Buluku is featured in ONA Gundam SEED C.E. 73 Stargazer. She was deployed by "Phantom Pain" to attack the DSSD space station in an attempt to capture the GSX-401FW Stargazer for its AI so they can copy it for use in unmanned combat mobile suits. The Nana Buluku is destroyed when a DSSD space station detonates its propellant tanks using the GSX-401FW Stargazer's propulsion laser.
Other ships of the class
At least one more ship of the Girty Lue-class was built in Cosmic Era universe. The ship, the name of which remains unknown, is used by Matisse Aducarf and made its appearance near the end of the manga Gundam SEED Destiny Astray. It is self-detonated at the end of the manga by Matias Aducarf, Matisse's brother, killing both.
Girty Lue-class Battleship Infos
Ships of the class: Girty Lue, Nana Buluku,unknown name
Auxiliary Equipment: Mirage Colloid
Linear catapults: 4
- Nana Buluku is named from the Fon deity.
Nelson-class battleship is the standard spacegoing warship of the Earth Alliance's OMNI Enforcer in Cosmic Era universe. The ships of the class are manufactured and mainly operated by Earth Alliance. This ship class is the backbone of the Earth Alliance's space fleets. Some ships of the class are also operated by Three Ships Alliance during The Battle of Messiah. They also known as 250-meter class warship.
Design and construction
Nelson-class Battleship is heavily armed with three twin and one single main beam gun turret, as well as eight twin secondary machine gun turrets. The ship's crew is housed in an armored centrifuge in the midships section, which is evacuated and shut down during combat operations. The Nelson-class battleship also carries a number of mobile armors, but predates linear catapults and so does not have a catapult to launch its mobile armours.
In CE 73, the Nelson-class has been upgraded with the addition of two linear catapults, making them effective (though small) mobile suit carriers. Because it was impractical to expand these ships' cramped hangar bays, facilities are included to handle and launch mobile suits from a prone position (much like the launchers used by the Principality of Zeon in Universal Century universe of the original Gundam.)
This ship class is heavily armed and equipped with an internal storage bay for its complement of mobile armours, is the backbone of the Earth Alliance's space fleets. Because this ship does not have a catapult, the standard operating procedure for Nelson-class ships is to launch mobile armours at the first sign of trouble and then to advance with them into battle.
The updated version of the Nelson-class battleship capable of carrying mobile suits, and has been equipped with a pair of linear catapults to launch them into battle. Together with its already high firepower and defensive strength, the ability to carry mobile suits makes the Nelson class an exceptionally well-balanced warship.
- Montgomery is the flagship of the advance force which comes to meet the Archangel.
- Cassandros, Ptolemaios, and Paris are members of the Earth Alliance's 8th Fleet, which was under the command of Rear Admiral Lewis Halberton. They are destroyed at Battle of Orbit.
Nelson-class Battleship Specification
Ships of the class: Nelson, Montgomery, Cassandros, Paris, Ptolemaois
Length : 250 meters
Armament:twin secondary beam cannon x3, main beam cannon x1, twin gun turret x8, torpedo launcher x6, 8-cell VLS x1
Linear catapults: 2 (CE 73 Refit)
- (C.E. 71): TS-MA2 Moebius x4 or GAT-01 Strike Dagger x4
- (C.E. 73 refit): GAT-02L2 Dagger L x4 or GAT-04 Windam x4
- The Nelson-class is named for 18th century British naval hero Vice Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson.
- The Montgomery is possibly named for the British Army officer Bernard Law Montgomery, 1st Viscount Montgomery of Alamein.
- The Cassandros is named for the Macedonian king who succeeded Alexander the Great.
- The Paris is possibly named for Paris, son of Priam, king of Troy, who is most well known for his abduction of, or elopement with, Helen, queen of Sparta, this being one of the immediate causes of the Trojan war.
- The Ptolemaois is named for Ptolemaois, the commander of Egyptian Satrap after Alexander's death and founder of the Ptolemaic Dynasty.
The Laurasia-class frigate is ZAFT's primary heavy fire support spaceship during the Mobile Suit Gundam SEED's episodes of Bloody Valentine War . Its hull code designated as FFM, resembling the real world hull code for modern United States Navy frigate. Later, in Gundam SEED Destiny, the newer Nazca class destroyer replaced this class as the backbone of ZAFT's space forces.
Laurasia-class frigate is more heavily armed than most Earth Alliance battleships. It has carrying capacity for up to six mobile suits. The egg-shaped pod on the underside of the ship contained its mobile suit hangar and catapult, and could be detached for use as an atmospheric re-entry capsule.
The Gamow under captain Zellman , was assigned to the Le Creuset team and escorted the flagship, Nazca class destroyer Vesalius and later becomes the mothership of the captured Duel, Buster, and Blitz. Gamow is destroyed in the TV series episode 13 of Gundam Seed, where the Battle of Orbit occurred with the Earth Alliance's 8th Fleet. There, the critically damaged Gamow managed to destroy the 8th Fleet flagship Agamemnon class carrier Menelaos in a suicide ramming attack.
Other Laurasia-class Frigate
- Several hundred Laurasia-class vessels appear in episodes 48-50 of Gundam Seed, the Second Battle of Jachin Due. .
- In Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Astray OVA promo clips, one Laurasia-class Frigate is at least known to serve under the Serpent Tail flag.
- As Laurasia-class frigate is ZAFT's primary heavy fire support spaceship during the Mobile Suit Gundam SEED and the process to replace them with newer Nazca class destroyer was incomplete in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny, this ship class almost always appear in most series, adaptations, and spinoffs of Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED Destiny.
Laurasia-class Frigate Specification
Ship of the class: Laurasia, Gamow, Tsuigara, Zeigler, Amzen, Galvani
Length : Approx 200 meters
Armament: 937 mm dual high energy beam cannon x2, 450 mm dual railgun, 450 mm railgun x2, 125 mm dual cannon , 58 mm CIWS x6, 450 mm VLS x4
Linear catapults: 1
Complementary units: Mobile Suits x6
- The Laurasia class is named for one of the two supercontinents which was formed after the breakup of Pangaea.
- The Gamow is named for George Gamow, an astrophysicist and early advocate of the Big Bang theory.
- The Zeigler is named for Karl Ziegler, a German chemist who won the 1963 Nobel Prize in Chemistry with Giulio Natta of Italy for developing catalysts that aid in the manufacture of plastics with greater uniformity, hardness, strength, and resistance to heat that leads to modern plastics.
- The Galvani is named for Luigi Galvani, an Italian physician and physicist who first covered bioelectricity.
The Nazca-class destroyer is a fast, well-armed space warship in the ZAFT forces. During the Mobile Suit Gundam SEED's episodes of Bloody Valentine War, this class is ZAFT's newest model of warship while on Gundam SEED Destiny they make up the main force of the ZAFT's space fleet  replacing Laurasia-class frigates. The class's role and shape parallel those of the Musai-class cruiser from the original Mobile Suit Gundam.
Design and Construction
At episodes of Mobile Suit Gundam SEED in C.E. 71, this class is ZAFT's newest model of warship. Designed as high-speed destroyer and armed with powerful beam cannons, its central deck can house six mobile suits, and is equipped with a linear catapult for high-speed takeoffs. 
It is heavily armed and has room in its hangar for up to six mobile suits. The Nazca-class destroyer was superior in firepower to the Earth Alliance's Nelson-class battleship, carried the flag capabilities of an Earth Alliance's Agamemnon-class carrier, and was even faster than an Archangel-class assault ship.
During episodes of Gundam SEED (C.E. 71), these fast and heavily armed warships were used mainly by elite units such as the Le Creuset team, however in Gundam SEED Destiny (C.E. 73) they make up the main force of the ZAFT's space fleet.
The Nazca-class high-speed destroyer under captain Ades, which served as the flagship of Rau Le Creuset's task force. After several battles with the Archangel, Vesalius was destroyed late in episode 46 of Gundam SEED by the Three Ships Alliance .
Voltaire and Rousseau
In C.E. 73 on TV Series Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny, Voltaire is a Nazca-class high-speed destroyer, served as the flagship of Yzak Joule. Accompanied by its sister ship Rousseau, the Voltaire formed Yzak Joule's team. In episode 5 on TV Series Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny, Yzak Joule's team is dispatched in an attempt to break up the remnants of Junius Seven before they can fall on Earth .
Other ships of the class
- In episodes 2 and 3 of Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny, Neo Roanoke and the Earth Alliance battleship Girty Lue annihilate several Nazca-class destroyers during Phantom Pain's attack on Armory One.
- In Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny episode 9 , Nazca-class destroyer Marie Curie, refitted with the experimental Neutron Stampeder, was instrumental in thwarting a nuclear attack by Earth Alliance forces.
- In episode 39 of Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny, three Nazca-class destroyers (Holst, Caernarfon and one unknown name) participated in a failed attempt to chase Eternal. They and majority of their mobile suit companions are heavily damaged by Kira Yamato in his ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom .
- In the manga, the Amzen, Rembrandt, Gansback and Bonstell were part of a ZAFT expeditionary force that was wiped out by Rondo Ghina Sahaku with his MBF-P01 Gundam Astray Gold Frame, upgraded to the MBF-P01-Re<AMATU> Astray Gold Frame Amatu.
Nazca-class Destroyer Specification
Ship of the class: Nazca, Vesalius, Heusinger, Helderton, Voltaire,Rousseau, Holst, Caernarfon, Amzen, Rembrandt, Gansback, Bonstell, Marie Curie
Length : 255 meters
Armament: 120 cm high-energy beam cannon x2, 66 mm dual railgun x 2, 58 mm CIWS x10, 450 mm VLS x5
Linear catapults: 1
Complementary units: Mobile Suits x6
- CE 71: ZGMF-1017 GINN, ZGMF-515 CGUE, or ZGMF-600 GuAIZ x6
- CE 73: ZGMF-1017 GINN, ZGMF-515 CGUE, ZGMF-600 GuAIZ, ZGMF-601R GuAIZ R, ZGMF-1000 ZAKU Warrior, ZGMF-1001 ZAKU Phantom or ZGMF-2000 GOUF Ignited x6
- The name of the class is named for the Nazca culture of ancient Peru.
- The Vesalius is named for the 16th century physician Andreas Vesalius, who wrote the first complete textbook on human anatomy.
- The Heusinger is possibly named for Edmund Heusinger von Waldegg, who invented the steam engine valve gear independently in 1849.
- The Voltaire and the Rousseau take their names from the 18th century French philosophers François-Marie Arouet and Jean-Jacques Rousseau.
- The Holst is named for Gustav Holst, an English composer whose best-known work is his orchestral suite The Planets.
- The Caernarfon is named for Caernarfon Castle in Wales.
- The Marie Curie is named after the French scientist Marie Curie, who discovered radiation.
- The Rembrandt takes its name from Rembrandt, one of the greatest painters and printmakers in European art history and the most important in Dutch history.
w:ja:イズモ級 The Izumo-class battleships are powerful warships of the Orb Union. Elements of their design were also used in the construction of the Earth Alliance's Archangel class assault ships, including their extremely powerful armament of "Lohengrin" positron blaster cannons and "Gottfried Mk. 71" dual beam cannons. One feature that remained unique to the Izumo class battleships, however, was their modular design; this allowed them to jettison the forward and rear modules (which contain most of the weaponry) and replace them with a separate forward module for atmospheric reentry and launching back into space, where the weapon modules would then be recovered. It was the largest ship until the Archangel class.
Design and Construction
The Izumo class was developed by the Orb Union as a heavily-armed space battleship. Armed with large beam cannons, she was also among the first spaceships equipped with positron cannons; furthermore, she also has large hangar facilities inside.
At least four Izumo class ships were built: Izumo, Kusanagi, Susanoo, and Tsukumiya. Izumo was used by the Sahaku family, while the Kusanagi was commanded by Cagalli Yula Athha and Ledonir Kisaka and became part of the Clyne Faction. It is possible that the other two Izumo class battleships were in the possession of the other noble families of Orb or were commissioned under the Athha name.
Components of the Izumo class' design were adapted to the design of the Earth Alliance's Archangel class assault ships. Among the adopted design elements are the Lohengrin positron blaster cannons (the Archangel accommodates two of these weapons, down from the Izumo's four) and Gottfried Mk. 71 dual beam cannons. The Izumo class ships still retained their unique modular configuration, however.
The Izumo class battleships were designed as modular battleships. This special design feature allows them to jettison the forward and rear modules (which contain most of the weaponry) and replace them with a separate forward module for atmospheric reentry and launching back into space, where the weapon modules would then be recovered.
At the time of their launch, Izumo class battleships were among the largest warships in the Cosmic Era universe, armed with two large-bore "Gottfried Mk. 71" beam cannons in forward, 16 75 mm "Igelstellung" CIWS turrets, and packs of missile launchers; however, their most powerful weapons were their quadruple Lohengrin positron cannons. This heavy defensive and offensive armament, combined with laminated armor, rendered the typical Izumo class ship immune to all but the most determined assaults (at least in theory).
In addition, the Izumo class battleships had a large mobile suit hangar with room for more than 12 or 13 mobile suits, such as Orb's MBF-M1 Astray units. While they could not launch as quickly as suits carried by Archangel class assault ships or Agamemmnon class carriers, this large MS complement made the Izumo class ships among the most powerful vessels of their time. At the same time, the hangar makes them difficult to be classified as pure battleships, as they are a hybrid of battleship and aircraft carrier design.
At least two Izumo class ships were constructed in time for the First Bloody Valentine War: the Izumo and Kusanagi. The former was used by the Sahaku family, while the latter was commanded by Cagalli Yula Athha and Ledonir Kisaka and became part of the Clyne Faction. It is unknown whether the other noble families of Orb also possess Izumo class battleships, but it seems likely that they do.
The Kusanagi was commanded by Cagalli Yula Athha and Ledonir Kisaka and is best known as part of the Three Ship Alliance. Before the Archangel was officially commissioned as part of the Orb Union's Space Fleet, she was the Orb Union Space Fleet's official flagship.
Towards the end of the Second Bloody Valentine War, after Chairman Gilbert Durandal revealed the Destiny Plan, the Kusanagi staged an attack on the Requiem space cannon. She and two other Izumo class ships fired their Lohengrins at the Requiem, only to have their attacks blocked by multiple positron deflector shields deployed over the superweapon's mouth. The Kusanagi ultimately survived the end of the war.
Other Izumo-class battleships
In episode 48 of Gundam SEED Destiny, a pair of Izumo-class ships (the Susanoo and the Tsukumiya) departed from the lunar city Copernicus alongside the Archangel, Eternal, and Kusanagi to stop ZAFT forces, who had just fired the Requiem at the Earth Alliance's Arzachel lunar base. The three Izumo-class ships fired their Lohengrins at the Requiem, only to have their attacks blocked by multiple positron deflector shields deployed over the superweapon's mouth. However, none were lost when the Neo-Genesis fired in the final battle around the mobile space fortress Messiah, despite the fact that they were fired upon twice by the Neo-GENESIS superlaser installed in the space fortress.
The Earth Alliance Archangel-class assault ship, shares certain design features with the Izumo class. Specifically, the Archangel-class vessels utilize identical beam cannons, positron cannons, and CIWS turrets, and a slightly altered version of the Izumo class's bridge tower. Modular booster rockets designed for launching Izumo-class ships into space are also compatible with the Archangel class.
Izumo-class Battleship Specification
Ships of the class: Izumo, Kusanagi, Susanoo, Tsukumiya
Length : 290 meters
Armor: Laminated armor, unknown thickness
Armament: "Lohengrin" positron blaster cannon x4, "Gottfried Mk. 71" 225 cm dual high-energy beam cannon x2,"Igelstellung" 75 mm multi-barrel CIWS x16, Surface-to-ship missile launcher x ?, Surface-to-air missile launcher x ?
Linear catapults: 1
(Kusanagi): MBF-M1 Astray x11, MBF-M1A Astray x1, MBF-02 Strike Rouge x1 (C.E. 71), Murasame x12 or 13, or M1 Astrays x 12 or 13 (C.E. 74)
(Izumo): MBF-M1 Astray x ?, MBF-P01-Re<AMATU> Astray Gold Frame Amatu x1, GAT-X133 Sword Calamity x1
(Susanoo, Tsukumiya): Murasame x12 or 13, or M1 Astrays x 12 or 13 (C.E. 74)
- Izumo is named for a region of Japan where the storm god Susanowo supposedly descended to Earth when banished from heaven. For other uses, see Izumo.
- Kusanagi is the second name of the sword, the Ame-no-Murakumo, which Susanowo pulled from the tail of the slain Yamato no Orochi and presented to his sister, the sun goddess Amaterasu, as a reconciliation gift. Kusanagi is also the sword of the Japanese Imperial regalia. See Kusanagi.
- Susanoo refers to the Storm God Susanoo. The Tsukumiya is a possible reference to the Japanese Moon God, Tsukuyomi (brother of Amaterasu and Susanoo).
- Izumo and Kusanagi can also be traced to the surnames of the two main characters of a previous Sunrise-produced super robot anime also directed by SEED director Mitsuo Fukuda: Gear Fighter Dendoh.
The Silverwind is a civilian space shuttle. In early February C.E. 71, the Silverwind is sent out to the Debris Belt to investigate the ruins of Junius Seven, in preparation for a memorial marking the first anniversary of the Bloody Valentine tragedy. The leader of the delegation is Lacus Clyne, idol singer and daughter of ZAFT Supreme Council Chairman Siegel Clyne. While in the Debris Belt, the Silverwind comes under attack from an Earth Alliance battleship. The attack is orchestrated by an informant named Kenaf Luchini as a trap to lure in MBF-P02 Gundam Astray Red Frame pilot Lowe Guele. The Earth Alliance battleship, acting on misinformation from Kenaf, believes that the Silverwind is a ZAFT military vessel disguised as a civilian ship. During the battle, Lowe spots the damaged civilian space shuttle and protects it long enough to allow Lacus to launch in a life pod. Later on, Lacus' life pod is found by GAT-X105 Strike piloted by Kira Yamato, while he is out on a supply mission for the Archangel.
The Tsiolkovsky is a space exploration ship designed by George Glenn, the first known coordinator, for use in the manned exploration of Jupiter. In Cosmic Era 15, Glenn left Earth as Tsiolkovsky's captain. As he departed, he broadcast a message that revealed his genetically engineered nature. He also included in the message detailed instructions on how to replicate his enhancements, and coined the term "Coordinator" to describe genetically modified humans. In C.E. 22, the Tsiolkovsky arrived at Jupiter, and there Glenn made an astonishing discovery on the moon Europa: the fossilized skeleton of a "winged whale", proving the existence of extraterrestrial life. In C.E. 29, the Tsiolkovsky returned to Earth, and Glenn presented the fossil as "Evidence 01".
- The Tsiolkovsky is named after Russian rocket scientist Konstantin Tsiolkovsky.
- The ship is visually identical to the huge cargo ship Jupitris from Zeta Gundam, which was also designed for travel between Earth and Jupiter.
- Official English Site for Gundam. Profile of Laurasia-class Frigate Gamow
- Official English Site for Gundam. Profile of Agamemnon carrier
- Official English Site for Gundam. Profile of Modified Agamemnon carrier
- Official English Site for Gundam. Profile of Drake
- Official English Site for Gundam. Profile of Modified Drake
- Official English Site for Gundam. Profile of Girty Lue
- Official English Site for Gundam. Profile of Nelson
- Official English Site for Gundam. Profile of Modified Nelson
- MAHQ. Table of Contents for Gundam SEED Review
- MAHQ. Review of Gundam Seed Episode 13
- MAHQ. Review of Gundam Seed Episode 48
- MAHQ. Review of Gundam Seed Episode 49
- MAHQ. Review of Gundam Seed Episode 50
- MAHQ. Table of Contents for Gundam SEED Destiny Review
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Franchise Characters SEED characters Astray characters Technology Warships and spacecraft
- 1 Earth Alliance
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.