- Don't Look Behind You
Don't Look Behind You Author(s) Lois Duncan Country United States Language English Genre(s) Thriller Publisher Laurel Leaf Publication date August 1, 1990 Pages 192 ISBN 978-0440207290
Because of April's father's work in the Federal Investigation Bureau, a hitman in a black camaro is after her family so they have to be put under the Federal Witness Protection Program. April and her family have to try to elude the killer with little success when she drives out to try and live with her gramdmother again.
Multiple real places are a key part to the novel. The rural areas in the novel are the outskirts of eastern Virginia and to the south of Washington D.C.. The cities in the novel are Richmond, Petersburg and Williamsburg in Virginia; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Durham, North Carolina and Grove City and St. Augustine in Florida. Other places in the novel are the Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport and Disney World.
The novel won the Tennessee Volunteer State Book Award in 1991 and 1993, the Iowa High School Book Master List in 1992, the Virginia Young Readers Program Award in 1992, the Indiana Young Hoosier Award in 1992, and the Texas Lone Star Reading List in 1991. The novel was nominated for the Washington Evergreen Young Adult Book Award in 1992, the Colorado Blue Spruce Young Adult Book Award in 1991 and 1992, and the Illinois Rebecca Caudill Young Readers Award in 1995.
In an interview with Lois Duncan, the interviewer said that the book was challenged for its immorality, graphic references, and sexual references. Lois Duncan thinks that it may have been a mix-up because there is only one part of the novel where it gets close to a sex scene.
Differences between the novel and the film
- In the novel, April is the central character; she narrates the story from her own POV. In the film, April's dad is the main character.
- In the novel, April's father is named George Bramwell Corrigan, Senior. In the film, his name is Jeff Corrigan.
- In the novel, April's sweetheart is named Steve. In the movie, his name is Stef.
- In the novel, April and Steve part and she dates another boy whose name is not given. In the movie, April and Stef are reunited
- In the novel, April's mom is a writer of books for children and teens. In the movie, she works at a company.
- None of the FBI Agents from the novel - Max Barber, Tom Geist, Jim Peterson - are mentioned in the film.
- In the novel, the hitman is named Mike Vamp. This name was changed for the film.
Connection with daughter Kaitlyn
The book is based on Lois Duncan's daughter Kaitlyn's personality. Kaitlyn was shot to death shortly after the book was published while riding home from her friend's house. Lois Duncan believes that Don't Look Behind You was a premonition of her daughter's death. Like the main character of the novel, Kaitlyn was chased by a hired gunman that resembled the killer that was on the cover of a paperback version.
- ^ Ellen Snodgrass, Mary (2003). Literary treks: characters on the move. Libraries Unlimited. pp. 33–36. ISBN 978-1563089534. http://books.google.com/books?id=odH155JrjpUC&pg=PA33&dq=Don%27t+Look+Behind+You+lois+duncan&hl=en&ei=q-T1S_bGKIbkNbO_pIQI&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=Don%27t%20Look%20Behind%20You%20lois%20duncan&f=false.
- ^ "Don't Look Behind You". Random House. http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780440207290&view=awardsR. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- ^ Stone, Rosetta. "Interview with Lois Duncan". X-Rated Children's Book Newsletter. http://www.absolutewrite.com/specialty_writing/lois_duncan.htm. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- ^ "Don't Look Behind You 1999". Reelz Channel. http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie/205795/dont-look-behind-you. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- ^ a b Ellen Snodgrass, Mary (2003). Literary treks: characters on the move. Libraries Unlimited. pp. 34. ISBN 978-1563089534. http://books.google.com/books?id=odH155JrjpUC&pg=PA33&dq=Don%27t+Look+Behind+You+lois+duncan&hl=en&ei=q-T1S_bGKIbkNbO_pIQI&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=Don%27t%20Look%20Behind%20You%20lois%20duncan&f=false.
The Family Channel1996–1998 Fox Family1998–2003National Lampoon's Men in White · Addams Family Reunion · Michael Jordan: An American Hero · Don't Look Behind You · Au Pair · Britannic · Ice Angel · Time Share · Au Pair II · When Good Ghouls Go Bad · Three Days · The Ghosts of Christmas Eve · Special Delivery · Like Father, Like Santa · Three Days ABC Family2003–2005The One · Beautiful Girl · This Time Around · Lucky 7 · See Jane Date · Picking Up & Dropping Off · I Want to Marry Ryan Banks · Celeste in the City · Brave New Girl · Love Rules · Crimes of Fashion · Pop Rocks · Searching for David's Heart · Snow · She Gets What She Wants · School of Life · I Do, They Don't · Kart Racer · Everything You Want · Romy and Michele: In the Beginning · Pizza My Heart · Campus Confidential · Rent Control · Alchemy · Shadows in the Sun · Chasing Christmas · Christmas in Boston2006–2008If Only · The Cutting Edge: Going for the Gold · Hello Sister, Goodbye Life · The Karate Dog · Best Man, Worst Friend · Fallen · Relative Chaos · The Initiation of Sarah · Santa Baby · Love Wrecked · The Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning · Big Liar on Campus · Nature of the Beast · Christmas Caper · Holiday in Handcuffs · Snowglobe · The Cutting Edge 3: Chasing the Dream · Princess · The Circuit · Picture This · Samurai Girl · Snow 2: Brain Freeze · Christmas Do-Over · Christmas in Wonderland2009–2011Au Pair 3: Adventure in Paradise · My Fake Fiance · Labor Pains · Santa Baby 2: Christmas Maybe · The Dog Who Saved Christmas · The Cutting Edge: Fire & Ice · Beauty & the Briefcase · Revenge of the Bridesmaids · The Dog Who Saved Christmas Vacation · Christmas Cupid · Mean Girls 2 · My Future Boyfriend · Cyberbully · Teen Spirit
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.