- Day & Night (2010 film)
Day & Night
Directed by Teddy Newton Produced by Kevin Reher Written by Teddy Newton Music by Michael Giacchino Studio Pixar Distributed by Walt Disney Pictures Release date(s) June 18, 2010(with Toy Story 3) Running time 5:57 Country United States Language English
Day & Night is a Pixar animated short film directed by Teddy Newton. It has been packaged to be shown in theaters before Disney·Pixar's feature film Toy Story 3, and has been released to purchase on iTunes in the United States.
Day & Night follows two characters, Day and Night. Inside Day is a day scene with a sun in the center, and inside Night is a night scene with a moon in the center. Whatever goes on inside of Day or Night expresses normal events that typically occur within a day or night, respectively, and these events often correspond with actions or emotions that the characters Day or Night express. For example, when Day is happy he will have a rainbow inside him, and when Night is happy he will have fireworks inside him.
Day and Night meet and at first are uneasy about each other. They become jealous of each other due to the events occurring in their insides, and end up fighting at one point in the short. Eventually they see the positives in each other and learn to like each other. At the end of the film the things they saw in each other they see in themselves, as Day becomes night, and Night becomes day.
The short uses a novel effect of combining 2D and 3D animation, being Pixar's second short film to be partially animated in 2D (Your Friend the Rat was the first). The outlines of both characters are hand drawn and animated in 2-D, while the scenes inside their silhouettes are rendered in 3D.
The voice used in this film is from Dr. Wayne Dyer and was taken from a lecture he gave in the 1970s. The director of the film incorporated the ideas taken from Dyer's lecture in order to show that the unknown can be mysterious and beautiful, and doesn't at all have to be something to fear. The themes of the lecture date back to similar speech by Albert Einstein, who said, "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious". Pixar honored Dyer by providing him with a private screening of the film.
“ Fear of the unknown. They are afraid of new ideas. They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based on … if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar. You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe are the most mysterious. ”
Day & Night was nominated for the Best Animated Short Film at the 83rd Annual Academy Awards. It won the award for Best Short Film at the 38th Annie Awards. The Visual Effects Society also gave Day & Night an award for the Outstanding Achievement in an Animated Short.
- ^ Sciretta, Peter (March 11, 2010). "First Look: Pixar's Day & Night". /Film. http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/03/11/first-look-pixars-day-night/. Retrieved March 15, 2010.
- ^ a b "Exclusive: First Look at Pixar Short Day & Night!". ComingSoon.net. March 12, 2010. http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=64181. Retrieved March 15, 2010.
- ^ Goldberg, Matt (June 22, 2010). "New Pixar Short Film Day & Night Now Available on iTunes". collider.com. http://www.collider.com/2010/06/22/day-night-pixart-short-film-available-itunes/. Retrieved June 27, 2010.
- ^ Beck, Jerry; Amidi, Amid (March 12, 2010). "Day & Night by Teddy Newton". CartoonBrew.com. http://www.cartoonbrew.com/shorts/day-night-by-teddy-newton.html. Retrieved March 15, 2010.
- ^ Shank, Don (March 12, 2010). "Day & Night". shank pile. http://donshank.blogspot.com/2010/03/day-night.html. Retrieved March 15, 2010.
- ^ "Day & Night: The Quote". Pixar Talk. June 26, 2010. http://www.pixartalk.com/2010/06/day-night-the-quote/. Retrieved September 30, 2011.
- ^ Erbland, Kate (July 8th, 2010). "Fun facts about Pixar’s new short, DAY & NIGHT". Gordon And The Whale. http://gordonandthewhale.com/fun-facts-about-pixars-new-short-day-night/. Retrieved September 30, 2011.
- ^ Dyer, Wayne W. (May 10, 2010). "Birthday Blessings". Heal Your Life. http://www.healyourlife.com/blogs/wayne-dyer-blog/birthday-blessings. Retrieved September 30, 2011.
- ^ Scott, Mike (June 18, 2010). "Day & Night, Pixar's new animated short, is long on artistry". NOLA.com. http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2010/06/pixars_new_animated_short_is_l.html. Retrieved January 26, 2011.
- ^ "Day & Night Production Information". Big Cartoon DataBase. April 13, 2010. http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon_information/117074-Day_and_Night.html. Retrieved July 19, 2010.
- ^ "Nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/83/nominees.html. Retrieved January 26, 2011.
- ^ 38th Annual Annie Nominations - Winners noted in gold color
- ^ 9th Annual VES Awards
Pixar Animation Studios short films
Pixar Animation Studios Feature films ShortsOriginalFeature-relatedShort series
- Toy Story Treats (1996)
- Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales (2008–present)
- Toy Story Toons (2011–present)
- Toy Story (1995–present)
- Cars (2006–present)
- The Adventures of André and Wally B. (1984)
- John Carter (2012)
- 1906 (TBA)
- Tiny Toy Stories (1996)
- Pixar Short Films Collection – Volume 1 (2007)
- The Pixar Story (2007)
Products People See also Toy Story Films Characters Video games Shorts AttractionsBuzz Lightyear · Toy Story Midway Mania! · Toy Story Playland · Toy Story: The Musical · Woody's Roundup Village Other media John Lasseter DirectedFeature filmsShort films ProducedFeature filmsSpirited Away (2001) · Monsters, Inc. (2001) · Finding Nemo (2003) · Howl's Moving Castle (2004) · The Incredibles (2004) · Tales from Earthsea (2006) · Meet the Robinsons (2007) · Ratatouille (2007) · WALL-E (2008) · Bolt (2008) · Tinker Bell (2008) · Up (2009) · Ponyo (2009) · Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure (2009) · The Princess and the Frog (2009) · Toy Story 3 (2010) · Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue (2010) · Tangled (2010) · Cars 2 (2011) · Winnie the Pooh (2011) · Tinker Bell and the Pixie Hollow Games (2011) · Brave (2012) · Wreck-It Ralph (2012) · Tinker Bell: Secret of the Wings (2012) · Monsters University (2013)Short filmsLuxo Jr. (1986) · Geri's Game (1997) · For the Birds (2000) · Mike's New Car (2002) · Jack-Jack Attack (2005) · One Man Band (2006) · Lifted (2006) · Your Friend the Rat (2007) · How to Hook Up Your Home Theater (2007) · Presto (2008) · Glago's Guest (2008) · BURN-E (2008) · Super Rhino (2008) · Partly Cloudy (2009) · Dug's Special Mission (2009) · Day & Night (2010) · Hawaiian Vacation (2011) · The Ballad of Nessie (2011)Television Other Studios
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.