- Christopher Columbus: The Discovery
Christopher Columbus: The Discovery
Theatrical release poster
Directed by John Glen Produced by Alexander Salkind
Screenplay by John Briley
Story by Mario Puzo Starring Marlon Brando
Benicio del Toro
Music by Cliff Eidelman Cinematography Alec Mills Editing by Matthew Glen Distributed by Warner Bros. Release date(s) August 21, 1992 Running time 120 min. Language English Budget $45,000,000 Box office Domestic:
Christopher Columbus: The Discovery, a 1992 film directed by James Bond alumnus John Glen, was the last project developed by the father and son production team of Alexander and Ilya Salkind. It follows the events leading up to and including the voyage of Columbus to the New World in 1492. Its behind-the-scenes history involved an elaborate series of financial mishandlings which later brought about an emotional falling-out between both Alexander and Ilya; indeed, as a frustrated Alexander would later lament, in an interview with the Los Angeles Times, "I know, after this, that I'll never make movies again." Timothy Dalton and Isabella Rossellini, originally set to star in the picture, backed out when director George Pan Cosmatos was replaced by John Glen shortly before shooting began. Dalton later filed a suit against the producers for breach of contract and fraud.
- Georges Corraface as Christopher Columbus. He replaced Timothy Dalton, who was originally set to play the title role.
- Marlon Brando received top billing for his supporting part as Tomás de Torquemada
- Tom Selleck as King Ferdinand V
- Rachel Ward as Queen Isabella I. She replaced Isabella Rosselini, who was originally set to play the female lead.
- Robert Davi as Martín Pinzón
- Catherine Zeta-Jones as Beatriz Enriquez de Arana
- Benicio del Toro as Alvaro Harana
It won one Golden Raspberry Award Worst Supporting Actor - Tom Selleck, and nominated for another five, including; Worst Picture, Worst Supporting Actor - Marlon Brando, Worst New Star - Georges Corraface, Worst Screenplay - Mario Puzo and Worst Director - John Glen.
- 1492: Conquest of Paradise, another film about Columbus released in 1992
- Carry On Columbus - A comedy-film about Columbus released in 1992
- ^ "Columbus: A Filmmaker's Odyssey". Orlando Sentinel. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1992-08-29/lifestyle/9208280862_1_christopher-columbus-salkind-ridley-scott. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- ^ "EPIC `1492' FILM CAPTURES ENERGY OF EXPLORER'S TIMES BEDEVILED VISIONARY Series: DISCOVERING COLUMBUS: 1492 -- Second of Three Parts.". Morning Call. http://articles.mcall.com/1992-10-09/features/2893351_1_christopher-columbus-columbus-day-columbus-legend. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- ^ "A Family Feud in Wake of 'Columbus' : Movies: Ilya Salkind has sued Alexander, his father and producing partner, for breach of contract, fraud and racketeering.". The Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1993-11-24/entertainment/ca-60385_1_alexander-salkind. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- ^ Timothy Dalton - Biography
- ^ DALTON'S DISCOVERY | Timothy Dalton | Pop Culture News | News | Entertainment Weekly
- ^ "Christopher Columbus Sails Right Past Bankruptcy". The Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1992-05-06/business/fi-1325_1_christopher-columbus. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- ^ "Can Two Columbus Projects Stay Afloat?". The Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1991-05-15/entertainment/ca-1889_1_ridley-scott-movie. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- ^ "Columbus: Adrift at Sea With No Paddle". The Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1992-08-24/entertainment/ca-5381_1_christopher-columbus. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- ^ "Review/Film; It's Goodbye, Columbus, As Torquemada Waves". The New York Times. http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9E0CE7D71F3BF931A1575BC0A964958260. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- ^ "Weekend Box Office `Unforgiven' at Top for Third Week". The Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1992-08-25/entertainment/ca-6052_1_weekend-box-office. Retrieved 2010-12-01.
- ^ "Revenues Of Summer Movies Never Quite Fired Up Box Office". Sun Sentinel. http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1992-09-04/features/9201190510_1_batman-returns-star-vehicles-star-james-woods. Retrieved 2010-12-01.
- Christopher Columbus: The Discovery at the Internet Movie Database
- Christopher Columbus: The Discovery at AllRovi
Films directed by John Glen 1980s 1990sCheckered Flag (1990) · Aces: Iron Eagle III (1992) · Christopher Columbus: The Discovery (1992) 2000sThe Point Men (2001)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.