- Doron Zeilberger
Zeilberger has made numerous important contributions to combinatorics, hypergeometric identities, and q-series. Zeilberger gave the first proof of the alternating sign matrix conjecture, noteworthy not only for its mathematical content, but also for the fact that Zeilberger recruited nearly a hundred volunteer checkers to "pre-referee" the paper. Together with Herbert Wilf, Zeilberger was awarded the American Mathematical Society's Leroy P. Steele Prize for Seminal Contributions to Research in 1998 for their development of WZ theory, which has revolutionized the field of hypergeometric summation. In 2004, Zeilberger was awarded the Euler Medal; the citation refers to him as "a champion of using computers and algorithms to do mathematics quickly and efficiently." In 2011, together with Manuel Kauers and Christoph Koutschan, Zeilberger proved the George Andrews and David P. Robbins .
Zeilberger considers himself an ultrafinitist. He is also known for crediting his computer "Shalosh B. Ekhad" as a co-author ("Shalosh" and "Ekhad" mean "Three" and "One" in Hebrew respectively, referring to the AT&T 3B1 model), and for his provocative opinions, some of which are:
- "The Shocking State of Contemporary "Mathematics", and the Meta-Shocking Fact that Very Few People Are Shocked"
- "People who believe that applied math is bad math are bad mathematicians"
- "Guess what? Programming is even more fun than proving, and, more importantly it gives as much, if not more, insight and understanding"
- "Frank Quinn's rigor is not as rigorous as he thinks"
- "Still like that old-time blackboard talk".
- MacMahon Master theorem
- ^ Rutgers Focus, 15 December 2000
- ^ Koutschana, C., Kauers, M., and Zeilberger, D., Proof of George Andrews’s and David Robbins’s q-TSPP conjecture, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 108 (2011), 2196–2199.
- ^ An Enquiry Concerning Human (and Computer!) (Mathematical) Understanding
- Gallian, Joe; Michael Pearson (May/June 2007). "An Interview with Doron Zeilberger" (PDF). FOCUS (Washington, DC: Mathematical Association of America) 27 (5): 14–17. ISSN 0731-2040. http://www.maa.org/pubs/mayjune07web.pdf. Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- Doron Zeilberger's homepage
- Biography from ScienceWorld
- Weisstein, Eric W., "Zeilberger's Algorithm" from MathWorld.
- Weisstein, Eric W., "Wilf-Zeilberger Pair" from MathWorld.
- Weisstein, Eric W., "Alternating Sign Matrix Conjecture" from MathWorld.
- Weisstein, Eric W., "Refined Alternating Sign Matrix Conjecture" from MathWorld.
- Weisstein, Eric W., "Zeilberger-Bressoud Theorem" from MathWorld.
- Doron Zeilberger at the Mathematics Genealogy Project.
- From A = B to Z = 60, a conference in honor of Doron Zeilberger's 60th birthday, May 27 and 28, 2010
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.