- Hamlet (2000 film)
name = Hamlet
caption = Theatrical release poster
imdb_rating = 6.1/10
Andrew Fierberg Amy Hobby
Ethan Hawke Kyle MacLachlan Bill Murray Diane Venora Liev Schreiber Julia Stiles Sam Shepard Steve Zahn
John de Borman
May 12, 2000
runtime = 112 min.
language = English
imdb_id = 0171359
"Hamlet", also referred to as "Hamlet 2000", is an American
filmby Michael Almereyda, released in 2000, set in contemporary New York City, and the 7th film based on the Shakespeare's play of the same name. Ethan Hawkeplays Hamlet as a film student, Julia Stilesco-stars as Ophelia, Laertes by Liev Schreiber, Uncle Claudius is played by Kyle MacLachlan, and Poloniusby Bill Murray.
In this version of "Hamlet," Claudius becomes King and CEO of "Denmark Corporation", having taken over the firm by killing his brother, Hamlet's father.
Romeo + Juliet, the film keeps the Shakespearean dialogue but presents a modern setting, with technology such as video cameras, Polaroid cameras, and surveillance bugs. For example, the ghostof Hamlet's murdered father first appears on closed-circuit TV.
* Elsinore Castle, the seat of power of
Denmark's crown in the play, is re-imagined as Hotel Elsinore, the headquarters of Denmark Corporation.
* The Mousetrap Play takes the form of a video montage, made by Hamlet himself.
* The character of Marcellus, one of the soldiers, is re-imagined as Marcella, Horatio's girlfriend.
* The Captain in
Fortinbras' army is replaced by a flight attendantin Hamlet's flight to England.
* Instead of carrying around actual flowers, Ophelia (in her madness), carries polaroid photographs of various flowers. In the film, Ophelia is an amateur photographer.
* Fortinbras's conquests are not military, but corporate takeovers with the aid of his "armies" of lawyers.
* Laertes doesn't organize a revolution. He merely confronts Claudius.
* As opposed to drowning in a brook, Ophelia is found to have drowned in a fountain in front of the Hotel Elsinore.
* The Ghost of King Hamlet appears in Horatio's apartment, sitting in his bedroom as Marcella sleeps, before Hamlet and Horatio enter it.
*The first intervention of Osric is re-imagined as a fax machine in Hamlet and Horatio's apartment, delivering Laertes's message right before the duel. However, Osric does appear during the duel between Hamlet and Laertes.
* Laertes doesn't kill Hamlet with a poisoned rapier. Instead he shoots Hamlet with a pistol, then is shot himself. Hamlet then uses the same pistol to shoot Claudius.
Romeo + Juliet
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.