— Town —
Location on Map is approximate
Coordinates: 04°08′00″N 32°18′00″E / 4.1333333°N 32.3°ECoordinates: 04°08′00″N 32°18′00″E / 4.1333333°N 32.3°E Country South Sudan State Eastern Equatoria State County Magwi County Population (2010 Estimate) - Total 3,000
Magwi or Magwe is a town in South Sudan
The town is located in Magwi County, Eastern Equatoria State in southern South Sudan, near the border with the Republic of Uganda. Magwi, where the county headquarters are located, lies approximately 82 kilometres (51 mi), northeast of Nimule, the largest town in the county. This location lies approximately 140 kilometres (87 mi), by road, southeast of Juba, the capital and largest city in the country. The coordinates of the town of Magwi are:4° 08' 0.00"N, 32° 18' 0.00"E (Latitude:4.1300; Longitude:32.300).
Magwi is the headquarters of Magwi Paam, in which it lies. It is also the administrative capital of Magwi County. On 22 June 2011, construction began on the building that will house Magwi County Headquarters. The town is also home to the Rural Youth's Voices Project, a community-based youth radio station and music production studio. The station lets people in the community exchange information, opinions, and experience. Magwi Central Primary School, located in Magwi town, has eighteen (18) paid teachers and six (6) volunteers. The student body in 2010 was 1,157 boys and 847 girls. One hundred forty-nine (149) of the children were orphans. As of 2010 the school had no buildings but conducted classes under trees.
According to the Statistical Yearbook of South Sudan 2010, the population of Magwi is 41,778.
Points of interest
The following points of interest are found in the town of Magwi:
- The offices of Magwi Town Council
- The headquarters of Magwi Payam
- The headquarters of Magwi County Administration
- Magwi Airport - A civilian airport to the southeast of Magwi's central business district
- Magwi Central Primary School - A public, mixed, non-residential, elementary school with nearly 2,000 students in 2010.
- ^ Estimated Road Distance Between Nimule And Juba With Map
- ^ Map Showing Juba And Magwe With Distance Marker
- ^ Magwi County Headquarters Construction Underway
- ^ "Youth Radio Magwi Project – FM 92.5". ViewChange. http://www.viewchange.org/videos/youth-radio-magwi-project-fm-925. Retrieved 2011-07-09.
- ^ "Magwi Central Primary School". Drop In The Bucket. 06/23/2010. http://www.dropinthebucket.org/wells/magwi-central-primary-school. Retrieved 2011-07-09.
CountiesTorit · Lafon · Magwi · Ikotos · Budi · Kapoeta North · Kapoeta South · Kapoeta East Principal towns AirportsTorit · Kapoeta · Nimule RiversKangen River · Kidepo River · Kinyeti River · Koss River · Lotilla River · Narus MountainsBoya Hills · Didinga Hills · Imatong Mountains · Kinyeti · Lafit Mountains CommunitiesCategories:
- Populated places in South Sudan
- Eastern Equatoria
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.