- Fisheries science
Fisheries science is the academic discipline of managing and understanding
fisheries. It is a multidisciplinary science, which draws on the disciplines of oceanography, marine biology, marine conservation, ecology, population dynamics, economicsand managementto attempt to provide an integrated picture of fisheries. In some cases new disciplines have emerged, as in the case of bioeconomics.
Fisheries science is typically taught in a
universitysetting, and can be the focus of an undergraduate, master's or Ph.D. program. Some universities offer fully integrated programs in fisheries science.
Ludwig von Bertalanffy, an Austrian-born biologist and a founder of general systems theory
Gotthilf Hempel, a German marine biologist and oceanographer, and co-founder of the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research
Walther Herwig, a Prussianlawyer and promoter of high seasfishing and research
Johan Hjort, a Norwegian fisheries biologist, marine zoologist, and oceanographer
Bruno Hofer, a German fishery scientist, credited with being the founder of fish pathology
Leo Margolis, a Canadian parasitologistand head of the Pacific Biological Station in Nanaimo, British Columbia
R. J. McKay, an Australian-born biologist and a specialist in translocated freshwater fishes
Ransom A. Myers, a Canadianmarine biologist and conservationist.
Daniel Pauly, a French-born biologist, known for his work studying human impacts on global fisheries
Bill Ricker, a Canadianfisheries biologist, known for the Ricker model, credited with being one of the founders of fisheries science
Ed Ricketts, an American marine biologist, ecologist, and philosopher
Harald Rosenthal, a German hydrobiologist known for his work in fish farmingand ecology
Georg Sars, a Norwegian marine biologist credited with the discovery of a number of new species and known for his analysis of codfisheries
Tore Schweder, a Norwegian statisticianwhose work includes the assessment of marine resources
* [http://www.5thwfc2008.com/introduction.html World Council of Fisheries Societies]
* [http://www.fisheries.org/afs/index.html American Fisheries Society]
* [http://www.fsbi.org.uk/ The Fisheries Society of the British Isles]
* [http://www.miyagi.kopas.co.jp/JSFS/e-main.shtml The Japanese Society of Fisheries Science]
* [http://www.asfb.org.au/ The Australian Society for Fish Biology]
Some journals about fisheries are
* [http://fishbull.noaa.gov/fcontent.htm "Fishery Bulletin"]
* [http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1054-6006&site=1 "Fisheries Oceanography"]
* [http://journalseek.net/cgi-bin/journalseek/journalsearch.cgi?field=issn&query=0015-296X "Journal of the Fisheries Research Board"]
* [http://pubs.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/rp-ps/journalDetail.jsp?jcode=cjfas&lang=eng "Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences"]
* [http://afs.allenpress.com/perlserv/?request=get-archive "Transactions of the American Fisheries Society"]
* [http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0969-997X&site=1 "Fisheries Management and Ecology"]
* [http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1467-2960&site=1 "Fish and Fisheries"]
* [http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1112 "Journal of Fish Biology"]
* [http://journal.nafo.int/ "Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science"]
* [http://fisheries.ege.edu.tr/journal_of_fisheries.html "Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences"]
* [http://www.bentham.org/open/tofishsj/index.htm "The Open Fish Science Journal"]
* [http://www.ajol.info/journal_index.php?jid=4 "African Journal of Tropical Hydrobiology and Fisheries"] :* [http://www.lib.noaa.gov/china/archi/journal.htm "Chinese Fisheries Journal Listings"] :* [http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/general/lib/sefjrnls.html "General Fisheries Journal Listings]
There are many other regional journals.
International Council for the Exploration of the Sea
* Hart, Paul J B and Reynolds, John D (2002) Handbook of Fish Biology and Fisheries, Chapter 1, [http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=LVnWf6IEhcgC&pg=PA1&dq=FAO+%22Recreational+fishing%22&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=0_0&sig=rMjrBa7pwNAemA23TZNmA3mE8FU "The human dimensions of fisheries science."] Blackwell Publishing. ISBN 063206482X
* Pauly, D and Palomares, M L D (eds) (2002) [http://www.seaaroundus.org/report/prodsystems.pdf#page=7 "Production Systems in Fishery Management"] Fisheries Centre Research Reports 10(8).
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.