- Numb (film)
Directed by Harris Goldberg Produced by Kirk Shaw Written by Harris Goldberg Starring Matthew Perry
Music by Ryan Shore Cinematography Eric Steelberg Editing by Jeff Wishengrad Distributed by Image Entertainment Release date(s) April 18, 2008 Running time 93 minutes Country United States Language English
Numb is a 2007 American drama film written and directed by Harris Goldberg. According to an interview with Goldberg on a bonus feature of the DVD release, he was inspired to write the screenplay by his own experience battling depersonalization disorder and clinical depression.
When modestly successful screenwriter Hudson Milbank descends into a strange mood in which he feels detached from the world around him and unable to connect with his surroundings, either physically or emotionally, he attributes it to a night of excessive cannabis use. His writing partner Tom is disturbed by the sudden change in Hudson's demeanor and urges him to seek psychiatric help.
Dr. Townsend diagnoses his condition as depersonalization disorder and prescribes various medications, and when nothing seems to help Hudson consults Dr. Richmond, who also sees drugs as the solution.
Hudson meets Sara, a beautiful young woman who finds him attractive and appealing and decides to introduce him to as many positive and compelling experiences as possible. Also trying to help him is yet another psychiatrist, Dr. Blaine, who initially resists his advances but ultimately has an affair with him before revealing she has serious issues of her own that require professional attention.
- Matthew Perry as Hudson Milbank
- Lynn Collins as Sara
- Kevin Pollak as Tom
- Mary Steenburgen as Dr. Blaine
- Helen Shaver as Audrey Milbank
- William B. Davis as Peter Milbank
- Brian George as Dr. Richmond
- Bob Gunton as Dr. Townsend
- Keegan Connor Tracy as Mt. Sinai Nurse
- Ryan Shore – "Numb" 1:48
- Ryan Shore – "Sara" 2:25
- Ryan Shore – "Childhood" 1:24
- Ryan Shore – "Anti-Psychotic" 2:15
- Ryan Shore – "Cafe" 0:50
- Ryan Shore – "Chasing Sara" 2:36
- Ryan Shore – "Hospital Testing" 0:55
- Ryan Shore – "Winding the Watch" 1:49
- Ryan Shore – "Dad" 0:58
- Ryan Shore – "Jail" 1:55
Soundtrack from titles:
- The Dandy Warhols – "Cool Scene"
- Ivy – "Edge Of The Ocean (Duotone mix)"
- Ryan Shore – "Libman"
- The Dandy Warhols – "Get Off"
- Ivy – "Thinking About You"
- Iron & Wine – "Naked As We Came"
- Ryan Shore – "Sally's Gift"
- Elliott Smith – "Say Yes"
- Iron & Wine – "Each Coming Night"
- The Doves – "Caught By The River"
- Blondie – "Rapture"
- The Dandy Warhols – "Bohemian Like You"
- The Dandy Warhols – "Godless"
- Elliott Smith – "Wouldn't Mama Be Proud"
- Ryan Shore – "Numb"
The film premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival and was shown at several other festivals, including Marché du Film, the Austin Film Festival, the Palm Springs International Film Festival, and the Sedona International Film Festival before going into limited theatrical release in Canada on April 18, 2008. The DVD was released in the US on May 13.
Harris Goldberg won the Gen Art Chicago Audience Award at the Gen Art Film Festival, and Ryan Shore was honored for Outstanding Achievement in Film Music at the Park City International Music Festival.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.