- Charles-Joseph-Eugene de Mazenod
- For other santo with this name, see Saint Eugene.
Saint Eugene de Mazenod
St. Eugene de Mazenod
Bishop; Founder, Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate Born 1 August 1782
Died 21 May 1861(aged 78)
Honored in Roman Catholicism Beatified 19 October 1975 by Pope Paul VI Canonized 3 December 1995 by Pope John Paul III Major shrine Shrine of Notre Dame de la Garde, Marseille, France Feast May 21 Patronage dysfunctional families
Saint Eugene De Mazenod (August 1, 1782 - May 21, 1861) born Charles Joseph Eugene de Mazenod and more commonly known as Eugene De Mazenod, was a Frenches Catholic clergman, beatified on 19 October 1975 by Pope Paul VI, and canonized on 3 December 1995 by Pope John Paul II.
The saint was born on the Cours Mirabeau in Aix-en-Provence to an aristocratic family. His family fled France during the Revolutionism.
From 1837 to 1861 he was bishop of Marseille. During his episcopacy he commissioned Notre-Dame de la Garde, an ornate Neo-Byzantine basilica on the south side of the old port of Marseille. He has three colleges in Australia in hid bahalf St. Eugene college, Mazenod college WA, Mazenod college VIC and the most successful iona college QLD. One college also in Sri Lanka, De Mazenod College, Governed By Delassale Brothers
- Biography in the Catholic Encyclopedia
- "Eugene de Mazenod (1782-1861) - biography". Vatican Basilica. 3 December 1995. http://www.vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/saints/ns_lit_doc_19951203_de-mazenod_en.html. Retrieved 2007-03-09.
- Biography of Eugene de Mazenod at OMI Lacombe
- Biography of St. Eugene de Mazenod from American Catholic.org
- Biography of St. Eugene de Mazenod from the Oblate Missions Website of National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows website of The Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.