Amma has several meanings:
As a name:
* In Ghana, girls who are born on a Saturday are named Amma (sometimes spelt Ama), meaning "Saturday born".
motherin Tamil, Konkani, Telugu language,Kannada , Sinhalese, Bengali, Malayalam, Korean, and some Sino-Tibetan languages
* Amma means grandmother in the
*It is also used to address elderly women as a sign of respect.
Several individuals are known as Amma:
* Steve Bokolas
Bangaru Adigalar(born March 3rd, 1941), a Spiritual Guru from Melmaruvathur, Tamil Nadu, India.
Mata Amritanandamayi(born 1953), an Indian spiritual leader; she is also known as "the hugging saint"
* Sri Karunamayi (born 1958), an Indian spiritual leader, affectionately called "Amma" by her devotees.
Anasuyadevi(1923–1985), an Indian spiritual leader, known as Amma, Jillellamudi
Jayalalithaa Jayaram(born 1948), a Tamil Nadu politician
Amma may also refer to:
* Amma, the supreme creator according to the
Dogon peopleof Mali (see also Fonio)
* Amma, the ancestress of the thralls or serfs in Norse mythology (see
* Amma, an ancient Chinese phrase for "push-pull", usually referring to massage or Asian Bodywork Therapy.
As a title, Amma usually means
motherin East Asian countries. As an acronym Amma or AMMA may mean:
American Medical Marijuana Association
American Medical Massage Association
Association of Malayalam Movie Artists
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.