- Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports
Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports Studio album by Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports Released May 3, 1981 Recorded Grog Kill Studios, Willow, New York, November 1979 Length 36:15 Label Harvest Records (UK), Columbia Records (US) Producer Nick Mason and Carla Bley Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Tentative Reviews 
Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason fronted the group who made the one-off self-titled album Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports in May 1981 in the UK and US, this being Mason's first major work outside of Pink Floyd. However, the album is considered by many a Carla Bley album in all but name, since she wrote all the songs and co-produced it. It is sung by Robert Wyatt, except for the opening song. The album was recorded in November 1979 but its release was delayed for almost two years.I made 'Fictitious Sports' more as an exercise. There's more longevity in 'Profiles'... it's strong enough to be accepted as a 'proper' record.Originally, I had arranged to go to America and make an album using all sorts of material, but then Carla sent me a cassette with some of her ideas. It was very different from what she had done before and absolutely in line with what I like. So I thought it would be much better to do that than to struggle desperately to find things that work together.
All songs written by Carla Bley.
- "Can't Get My Motor to Start" – 3:39
- "I Was Wrong" – 4:12
- "Siam" – 4:48
- "Hot River" – 5:16
- "Boo To You Too" – 3:26
- "Do Ya?" – 4:36
- "Wervin"' – 3:58
- "I'm a Mineralist" – 6:16
- Nick Mason – drums, percussion, co-producer, recording engineer
- Carla Bley – keyboards, songwriter, co-producer
- Chris Spedding – guitars
- Steve Swallow – bass guitar
- Michael Mantler – trumpet, recording engineer
- Robert Wyatt – vocals
- Karen Kraft – vocals on "Can't Get My Motor to Start"
- Gary Windo – tenor/bass clarinet, flute, additional vocals
- Gary Valente – trombones, additional vocals
- Howard Johnson – tuba
- Terry Adams – piano on "Boo to You Too", harmonica and clavinet on "Can't Get My Motor to Start"
- Carlos Ward – additional vocals
- D. Sharpe – additional vocals
- Vincent Chancey – additional vocals
- Earl McIntyre – additional vocals
- James Guthrie – mixing engineer
- Hipgnosis – cover design
- ^ Vernon Fitch. "Pink Floyd Archives - Nick Mason LP Discography". The Pink Floyd Archives. http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DUKLPNM.htm. Retrieved August 1, 2011.
- ^ Allmusic review
- ^ Tentative Reviews review
- ^ Fictitious Sports at Allmusic
- ^ Fictitious Sports: Credits at Allmusic
- ^ a b "The Amazing Pudding Reference Guide on Pink Floyd songs and records". http://www.pinkfloydfan.net/t1424-amazing-pudding-reference-guide-pink.html.
Solo albumsFictitious Sports (1981) Collaborations
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.