- MLS SuperDraft
The MLS SuperDraft is an annual event, taking place in January of each year, in which the Major League Soccer teams select players who have graduated from college or otherwise been signed by the league. The SuperDraft was first instituted in 2000, as a combination of the MLS College Draft, in which players having graduated from college were selected, and the MLS Supplemental Draft, in which all other players were chosen. The draft is divided into three rounds in which each club has a selection, the order of which is determined by a combination of the teams' playoff and regular season positions, with the last placed team (or expansion teams) getting the first pick.
The MLS SuperDraft was created by merging the original Supplemental Draft with the now-defunct College Draft. Originally created to ensue strict parity in the league, the draft was designed to merit weaker clubs for their shortcomings. The first draft was held in 2000, and since then has become the flagship draft of the league. Recently, the draft has been considered to be secondary to youth academies.
Rules of Draft Selection
The draft process for the SuperDraft closely resembles the NFL Draft. Below was the process for the 2011 MLS SuperDraft:
- Any expansion club automatically gets the first pick; should there be two expansion teams, a coin toss determines who picks first; the other team will pick second in the expansion draft.
- The winners of the MLS Cup are given the last selection, and the losers the penultimate selection.
- Teams that made the MLS Cup Playoffs are then ordered by which round of the playoffs they are eliminated.
- Teams that did not make the playoffs are ordered by their regular-season record.
- Remaining ties are broken by the goal differential, goals scored, goals conceded, and then the flip of a coin.
Status Draft picks Expansion clubs 1-2 Non-playoff clubs 3-10 Eliminated in quarterfinals 11-14 Eliminated in semifinals 15-16 MLS Cup finalist 17 MLS Cup winner 18
List of SuperDrafts
- 2000 MLS SuperDraft
- 2001 MLS SuperDraft
- 2002 MLS SuperDraft
- 2003 MLS SuperDraft
- 2004 MLS SuperDraft
- 2005 MLS SuperDraft
- 2006 MLS SuperDraft
- 2007 MLS SuperDraft
- 2008 MLS SuperDraft
- 2009 MLS SuperDraft
- 2010 MLS SuperDraft
- 2011 MLS SuperDraft
- 2012 MLS SuperDraft
- ^ Walter, Tyler (8 January 2011). "MLS SuperDraft: Why the Rise of Youth Academies Causes the Draft To Be Obsolete". Bleacher Report. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/566827-mls-superdraft-why-the-rise-of-youth-academies-causing-the-draft-to-be-obsolete. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- ^ McCarthy, Kyle (13 December 2010). "Monday MLS Breakdown: Academy Programs Increasingly Influence SuperDraft Pool". Goal.com USA. http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2010/12/13/2259080/monday-mls-breakdown-academy-programs-increasingly-influence. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- ^ "Let's abandon the MLS draft". ESPN.com. 14 January 2011. http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/blog/_/name/bradley_jeff/id/6021544. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
Major League Soccer Eastern Conference Western Conference League articlesMLS Cup (Playoffs) · Supporters' Shield · All-Star Game · Records and statistics · CONCACAF Champions League · U.S. Open Cup · Canadian Championship · Rivalry cups · Current players · Foreign players · Capped players · Designated Player Rule · Coaches · Drafts · Transfers · MLS Players Union · Attendance · Stadiums · Reserve Division · USSF · CSA Seasons Major League Soccer drafts MLS Inaugural Draft (1996) MLS College Drafts (1996–1999) MLS Supplemental Drafts (1996–present) MLS SuperDrafts (2000–present) MLS Contraction Drafts (2002) MLS Expansion Drafts (1997–present) MLS Re-Entry Drafts (2010–present)
2010 · 2011
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.