D'elles Studio album by Céline Dion Released May 18, 2007
(see release history)
Recorded December 2006 - February 2007 Genre Pop Length CD 47:52, DVD 24:00 Label Sony Music, Columbia Producer Erick Benzi, David Gategno, Tino Izzo, Jacques Veneruso, Thierry Blanchard, Patrick Hampartzoumian Céline Dion chronology On ne change pas
Let's Talk About Love / Falling into You / A New Day Has Come
Singles from D'elles
D'elles (French for About Them or From Them) is the title of Céline Dion's French-language album, released between May 18 and June 1, 2007 in certain European countries, on May 22, 2007 in Canada, and February 27, 2008 in Japan. It is her 23rd French album and 34th if counting all longplays. Unlike Dion's previous French studio albums, D'elles was not released in the United States, Australia, or New Zealand.
D'elles is a concept album that celebrates womanhood. The title is a spin-off of Dion's 1995 album D'eux. Both can be translated as About Them or From Them, with D'elles being specifically the feminine version.
The lyrics were written by ten prominent female writers from Quebec (Jovette Alice Bernier, Janette Bertrand, Denise Bombardier, Marie Laberge, Lise Payette) and France (Nina Bouraoui, Françoise Dorin, Nathalie Nechtschein, Christine Orban, George Sand). Jean-Jacques Goldman made a lyrics selection. Music was composed by David Gategno, who worked with Dion for the first time, and by Jacques Veneruso, Erick Benzi and Gildas Arzel, who worked with her before. One of the tracks was also composed by Marc Dupré and Jean-François Breau. Dupré recorded a duet with Dion in 2005, called "Tout près du bonheur." Tracks were produced by Gategno, Veneruso, Benzi, Tino Izzo, Patrick Hampartzoumian and Thierry Blanchard.
Seven out of thirteen songs planned for the album were recorded on December 20-21, 2006 at the Piccolo Studios, Montreal. The second version of "A cause," called "On s'est aimé à cause" was recorded in New York, in early February 2007. Other tracks were recorded in Las Vegas.
The song "La diva" includes fragment of "Si, mi chiamano Mìmì" from the opera La bohème performed by Maria Callas in 1956. The song is to pay tribute to Maria Callas, for her dedication to Opera. At the end of the song, Celine Dion sang "Si, mi chiamano Mìmì" with Maria.
D'elles was released in three formats: standard CD; double digipack (includes CD, "making of" DVD titled Céline parle d'elle(s), a booklet of Dion photos, and a booklet including song lyrics and Dion's personal notes about each song); and collector's edition (includes CD, "making of" DVD titled Céline parle d'elle(s), a mini-booklet of Dion photos and her personal notes about each song, a mini-booklet with song lyrics, and 4 postcards).
"Et s'il n'en restait qu'une (je serais celle-là)" was the first and only single from this album released on a CD. The song became a hit entering the French Singles Chart at number 1. Sony BMG released other songs as radio singles only: "Immensité" (France, Belgium, Quebec), "Le temps qui compte" (Poland), "On s'est aimé à cause" (Quebec), and "A cause" (France).
On September 26, 2008 D'elles was released as a 2CD set with D'eux in France, Switzerland and Belgium.
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic 
The album met with positive reviews. Allmusic said that "this is Dion's most ambitious project in a long time, if not ever — really, the only rival is that musically adventurous 1 fille & 4 types, and if D'elles is a bit too careful musically, it nevertheless is unified as an album and shows some serious artistic ambition."
During the first taping for TF1, Dion sang live several songs with French singers: "Stayin' Alive" with Vitaa, Shy'm and Amel Bent, "Hymne a l'amour" with Maurane and Johnny Hallyday, "Blueberry Hill" with Johnny Hallyday, "The Show Must Go On" with Christophe Maé and David Hallyday, "My Heart Will Go On" with Lââm and Amel Bent, "Caroline" with MC Solaar and Nolween Leroy, "Être à la hauteur" with Merwan Rim and Christophe Maé, "Caruso" with Florent Pagny and then she sang three songs from D'elles: "Et s'il n'en restait qu'une (je serais celle-là)," "A cause" and "Immensité."
During the second taping for TVA, Dion sang many new songs: "Et s'il n'en restait qu'une (je serais celle-là)," "Immensité," "Je cherche l'ombre," "Berceuse," "La diva," "Le temps qui compte" and "On s'est aimé à cause." They also showed the recording sessions for "Femme comme chacune," "Lettre de George Sand à Alfred de Musset," "Si J’étais quelqu’un" and few footages taken from the Live in Las Vegas - A New Day... DVD.
The TVA special, telecast on May 21, 2007, was the most-watched television program in Quebec, with 1,508,000 viewers. The TF1 special on June 9, 2007 was also one of France's most-watched shows, with 4,987,440 viewers.
During her visit in France in November 2007, Dion performed "Immensité" in few TV shows. Later, "Et s'il n'en restait qu'une (je serais celle-là)" became a part of the Francophone set list of the Taking Chances Tour.
D'elles shot to the top of the Canadian albums chart, selling 72,200 copies (including 69,285 in Quebec) in its first week, making it the biggest debut of the year, according to data compiled by Nielsen SoundScan. It marked Dion's tenth number 1 album in the SoundScan era, and her eighth to debut at the top position. D'elles spent two weeks at number 1 and it was eventually certified 2x platinum in Canada.
In Belgium, D'elles has sold 15,000 copies in just few days after the release, and it was certified gold. It reached the top of the albums chart for three weeks in Belgium Wallonia. In Switzerland, the album peaked at number 3 and was awarded gold. It was also certified gold in Russia.
On the European Top 100 Albums, D'elles reached number 10. It charted also in many non-Francophone countries, peaking at number 10 in Cypriot, number 17 in Estonia, number 18 in Belgium Flandres, number 26 in Poland, number 27 in Greece, number 35 in Italy, number 50 in the Netherlands, number 52 in Germany, and number 64 in Hungary.
No. Title Writer(s) Length 1. "Et s'il n'en restait qu'une (je serais celle-là)" Françoise Dorin, David Gategno 3:32 2. "Immensité" Nina Bouraoui, Jacques Veneruso 3:34 3. "A cause" Dorin, Veneruso 3:14 4. "Je cherche l'ombre" Lise Payette, Veneruso 3:12 5. "Les paradis" Bouraoui, Gildas Arzel 3:56 6. "La diva" Denise Bombardier, Erick Benzi 4:23 7. "Femme comme chacune" Jovette Alice Bernier, Benzi 3:39 8. "Si j’étais quelqu’un" Nathalie Nechtschein, Benzi 3:57 9. "Je ne suis pas celle" Christine Orban, Gategno 4:12 10. "Le temps qui compte" Marie Laberge, Veneruso 2:54 11. "Lettre de George Sand à Alfred de Musset" George Sand, Benzi 4:31 12. "On s'est aimé à cause" Dorin, Marc Dupré, Jean-François Breau 4:04 13. "Berceuse" Janette Bertrand, Gategno 2:39 Limited edition bonus DVD No. Title Length 1. "Céline parle d'elle(s)"
Charts and certifications
Belgian Flanders Albums Chart 18 Belgian Wallonia Albums Chart 1 Canadian Albums Chart 1 Cypriot Albums Chart 10 Dutch Albums Chart 50 Estonian Albums Chart 17 European Albums Chart 10 French Albums Chart 1 German Albums Chart 52 Greek Albums Chart 27 Hungarian Albums Chart 64 Italian Albums Chart 35 Polish Albums Chart 26 Swiss Albums Chart 3
Country Certifications Belgium Gold Canada 2x Platinum France Platinum Russia Gold Switzerland Gold
- Michel Aimé – Guitar
- Carla Antoun – Violoncello
- Gildas Arzel – Guitar, Arranger, Basse
- Scott Barnes – Make-Up
- Christophe Battaglia – Engineer
- Eric Benzi – Synthesizer, Piano, Arranger, Programming, Engineer, Choeurs, Realization
- Thierry Blanchard – Clavier, Realization, Sound Recording, *Synthesizer Programming
- Hubert Bougis – Orchestration
- Cécile Brillard – Alto
- Nathalie Carlucci – Alto
- Herve Cavelier – Violone
- Caroline Collombel-Damas – Violone
- Laurent Coppola – Drums
- Chistopher Deschamps – Drums
- Delphine Elbe – Choeurs
- Daniela Federici – Photography
- Sandrine François – Choeurs
- David Gategno – Arranger, Programming, Clavier, Introduction, Realization
- Humberto Gatica – Engineer, Mixing
- Emmanuel Guerrero – Piano, String Arrangements
- Cyril Guignier – Alto
- Patrick Hampartzoumian – Arranger, Programming, Realization, Sound Recording
- Jean Marc Haroutounian – Basse
- Florence Hennequin – Cello
- Annie Horth – Stylist
- Tino Izzo – Guitar, Percussion, Piano, Arranger, Programming, Clavier, Engineer, Realization, Basse
- Adam Klemens – Direction
- Cenda Kotzmann – Assistant
- Francis Lalonde – Assistant
- Caroline Lasfargues – Violone
- Gwenaëlle LeCorre – Illustrations
- Vincent Lépée – Assistant
- Claire Lisiecki – Violone
- Didier Lizé – Engineer
- Gildas Lointier – Arranger, Engineer, Assistant
- Vito Luprano – Executive Producer
- Vlado Meller – Mastering
- Vanessa Menneret – Alto
- Simon Mercure – Assistant
- Nicolas Yvan Mingot – Guitar
- Serge Normant – Hair Stylist
- Orchestre Philharmonique de Prague – Realization
- Paris Pop Orchestra – Strings
- Petr Pycha – Contractor
- Stanislas Renoult – Arranger, String Arrangements, Direction, Dirigida
- Zizou Sadki – Basse
- Constance Schacher – Alto
- Mario Telaro – Drums
- Jacques Veneruso – Guitar, Arranger, Choeurs, Realization
- Florence Veniant – Violone
- Laurent Vernerey – Basse
Region Date Label Format Catalog Europe May 18, 2007 Sony Music, Columbia CD 88697047962 CD/DVD 88697069102 CD/DVD/Postcards 88697073002 Canada May 22, 2007 CD 88697047962 CD/DVD 88697069102 Japan February 27, 2008 Sony Music Japan, Epic CD EICP-952 Europe September 26, 2008 Sony Music, Columbia 2CD (with D'eux) 88697333882
- ^ D'elles
- ^ 2008 Juno Awards Nominees
- ^ D'eux / D'elles
- ^ Allmusic Review
- ^ D'elles review
- ^ "Céline Dion écrase la concurrence". Canadian Online Explorer. http://www.canoe.com/divertissement/musique/nouvelles/2007/05/31/4222630-jdm.html. Retrieved 2007-05-31.
- ^ "Dion has biggest debut of '07". Canadian Online Explorer. http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/D/Dion_Celine/2007/05/30/4220344-ca.html. Retrieved 2007-05-30.
- ^ a b "Gold & platinum certification, June 2007". Canadian Recording Industry Association. http://www.cria.ca/gold/0607_g.php. Retrieved 2007-07-01.
- ^ "Disques : Nouveau plus-bas historique pour les ventes de singles". Ozap.com. http://www.ozap.com/actu/disques-bas-historique-ventes-singles/117112. Retrieved 2007-05-30.
- ^ a b "Certifications albums platine - année 2007". Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. http://www.disqueenfrance.com/fr/page-259165.xml?year=2007&type=12. Retrieved 2007-06-21.
- ^ "Carton plein pour Céline". dhnet.be. http://www.dhnet.be/culture/musique/article/173375/carton-plein-pour-celine.html. Retrieved 2007-05-22.
- ^ a b "Les disques d'or/de platine - 2007". Ultratop. http://www.ultratop.be/fr/certifications.asp?year=2007. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- ^ a b "Edelmetall 2007". Swiss Music Charts. http://www.hitparade.ch/awards.asp?year=2007. Retrieved 2007-12-31.
- ^ a b "Главная / Золотой и платиновый альбом в России / International 2007". NFPP. http://2m-online.ru/gold_n_platinum/detail.php?COUNTRY=5077. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- ^ "International superstar Celine Dion dominates the charts with a number 1 debut". newswire.ca. http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/May2007/30/c6939.html. Retrieved 2007-05-30.
- ^ Bombardier, Denise (2009). L'énigmatique Céline Dion. XO Editions. ISBN 2-8456-3413-7.
- ^ Belgian Flandres Albums Chart
- ^ Belgian Wallonia Albums Chart
- ^ Canadian Albums Chart
- ^ Cypriot Albums Chart
- ^ Dutch Albums Chart
- ^ Estonian Albums Chart
- ^ European Albums Chart
- ^ French Albums Chart
- ^ German Albums Chart
- ^ Greek Albums Chart
- ^ Hungarian Albums Chart
- ^ Italian Albums Chart
- ^ Polish Albums Chart
- ^ Swiss Albums Chart
Celine Dion Studio albumsFrenchEnglish Live albums CompilationsFrenchDu soleil au cœur · Les plus grands succès de Céline Dion · Les oiseaux du bonheur · Les chansons en or · The Best of Celine Dion · Les premières années · Gold Vol. 1 · Gold Vol. 2 · C'est pour vivre · The Collection 1982–1988 · The Early Singles · Les indispensables · Les plus belles chansons d'amour · On ne change pasEnglishAll the Way... A Decade of Song · The Collector's Series, Volume One · Let's Talk About Love / Falling into You / A New Day Has Come · Complete Best · Ultimate Box · My Love: Essential Collection Videography Concert tours Residency shows Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.