- Khancoban, New South Wales
Infobox Australian Place | type = town
name = Khancoban
state = nsw
lga = Tumbarumba Shire
postcode = 2642
pop = 281
maxtemp = 20.5
mintemp = 7.1
rainfall = 973.1
county = Selwyn
stategov = Albury
fedgov = Eden-Monaro
dist1 = 567
dist2 = 453
dist3 = 151
dist4 = 20
location4= Corryong, Vic.
Khancoban is a small town in Tumbarumba Shire,
New South Wales, Australia. The town is located 567 kilometres from the state capital, Sydneyand 13 kilometres from the state border with Victoria, in the foothills of the Snowy Mountains, near the upper reaches of the Murray River. At the 2006 census, Khancoban had a population of 281.Census 2006 AUS
name=Khancoban (L) (Urban Centre/Locality)
The town is a popular launching place for tourists exploring the Snowy Mountains area including
Kosciuszko National Park. Khancoban is linked to Jindabyne and Cooma by the Alpine Way, a scenic route that takes travellers past the ski resort of Thredbo. The closest regional centre is Corryong, 20 kilometres to the west in Victoria.
Khancoban was constructed to house workers involved in the
Snowy Mountains Scheme, Australia's largest engineering project, designed to provide hydro-electricpower and water for irrigationto vast areas of the nation. The town is still mainly populated by workers employed by Snowy Hydro Limitedworking in places such as Murray 1 and Murray 2 Power Stations.
* [http://www.tumbashire.nsw.gov.au/ Tumbarumba Shire Council] - Official Site
* [http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/parks.nsf/parkContent/N0018?OpenDocument&ParkKey=N0018&Type=Xo Koscuiszko National Park] - NPWS site
* [http://www.snowymountains.com.au/Khancoban.html Snowy Mountains Tourist Site]
* [http://www.snowyhydro.com.au/ Snowy Hydro Limited] - Official Site
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.