- USS Chosin (CG-65)
Career (US) Name: USS Chosin Namesake: Battle of Chosin Reservoir Ordered: 8 January 1986 Builder: Ingalls Shipbuilding Laid down: 2 July 1988 Launched: 1 September 1989 Commissioned: 12 January 1991 Homeport: Pearl Harbor, Hawaii Motto: Invictus Status: in active service, as of 2011[update] Badge: General characteristics Class and type: Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser Displacement: Approx. 9,600 long tons (9,800 t) full load Length: 567 feet (173 m) Beam: 55 feet (16.8 meters) Draft: 34 feet (10.2 meters) Propulsion:
4 × General Electric LM2500 gas turbine engines, 80,000 shaft horsepower (60,000 kW)2 × rudders
2 × controllable-reversible pitch propellers
Speed: 32.5 knots (60 km/h) Complement: 33 officers, 27 Chief Petty Officers, and approx. 340 enlisted Sensors and
- AN/SQS-53B/C/D active sonar
- AN/SQR-19 TACTAS passive sonar
- AN/SQQ-28 light airborne multi-purpose system
Armament: 2 × 61 cell Mk 41 vertical launch systems
122 × Mix of RIM-66M-5 Standard SM-2MR Block IIIB, RIM-156A SM-2ER Block IV, RIM-161 SM-3, RIM-162A ESSM, RIM-174A Standard ERAM, BGM-109 Tomahawk, or RUM-139A VL-ASROC
8 × RGM-84 Harpoon missiles
2 × Mk 45 Mod 2 5 in / 54 cal lightweight gun
2 × 25 mm Mk 38 gun
2–4 × .50 cal (12.7 mm) gun
2 × Phalanx CIWS Block 1B
2 × Mk 32 12.75 in (324 mm) triple torpedo tubes for lightweight torpedoes
Aircraft carried: 2 × Sikorsky SH-60B or MH-60R Seahawk LAMPS III helicopters.
USS Chosin (CG-65) is a Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser serving in the United States Navy. She is named in honor of the Battle of Chosin Reservoir of the Korean War. Commissioned in 1991, she is currently serving in the Pacific Fleet, based in Pearl Harbor. She has participated in Operation Southern Watch, Operation Enduring Freedom, and Operation Iraqi Freedom . She is the first ship of this name.
- In April 2008, Chosin failed its Board of Inspection and Survey (InSurv) examination and was judged "unfit for sustained combat operations."
- In Spring of 2008, Chosin had received replacement gun barrels for both of its 5” guns.
- On November 6, 2009 Chosin assumed the role as flagship for the counter-piracy task force Combined Task Force 151.
- On November 17, 2009 Chosin rescued three stranded Yemeni fishermen in the Gulf of Aden. According to the fishermen, they were left stranded in the water after 12 suspected Somali pirates hijacked their vessel. The fishermen also said that the pirates gave them an ultimatum to either jump overboard with only a wooden plank as a flotation device or be killed. Chosin medical personnel treated the fishermen and gave them food and water. Once the fishermen were deemed to be medically stable, Chosin transferred the fishermen to a Yemen Navy vessel..
USS Chosin (CG-65) conducts plane guard duty for the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71).
USS Chosin (CG 65) and the Russian Navy Udaloy class destroyer Marshal Shaposhnikov (DDGHM 543) sail in formation during a joint Russian-U.S. Navy exercise.
- ^ Chosin's About Page. Accessed 06 October 2008.
- ^ U.S. Navy Finds Glaring Flaws in 2 Surface Ships, Defense News, 20 April 2008. Accessed 27 April 2008.
- ^ Navy Board of Inspection and Survey Report - USS Chosin. navytimes.com. Accessed 27 April 2008.
- ^ Eisman, Dale, "Lawmakers Seek Openness After Navy Closes Reports", Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, May 4, 2009.
- ^ , Dragon Digest, July 2008. Accessed 06 October 2008.
Mark-26 twin-arm missile launcher ships: Mark-41 vertical launching system ships:List of cruisers of the United States Navy
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.