- USS Vicksburg (CG-69)
USS "Vicksburg" (CG-69) is a "Ticonderoga"-class
guided missile cruiserserving in the United States Navy. She is named for the land Battle of Vicksburgfought during the American Civil War.
"Vicksburg" was built by
Ingalls Shipbuilding, at Pascagoula, Mississippi. Her keel was laid down on May 30 1990and she was launched on September 7 1991. "Vicksburg" is sponsored by Tricia Lott, wife of United States Senator, Trent Lott. On October 12 1991, Mrs. Lott christened CG-69 as "Vicksburg". She was commissioned on November 14 1992. [ National Park Service, [http://www.nps.gov/pub_aff/maritime/navships.htm "United States Navy Ships Named After National Parks or Associated with National Park Sites"] , Accessed March 9 2006.]
With her guided missiles and rapid-fire cannons, "Vicksburg" is capable of facing threats in the air, on the sea, ashore, and underneath the sea. She is also capable of carrying two SH-60 Sea Hawk Light Airborne Multi-Purpose System (LAMPS III) helicopters.
The previous "Vicksburg" was a
light cruiserduring and after World War II. CG-69's crest has two stars on the streamer in the eagle's beak representing the two battle stars awarded to her predecessor.
16 February 2007, "Vicksburg" was awarded the 2006 Battle "E" award. [http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=27895]
Aegis combat system
* [http://www.vicksburg.navy.mil/ Official web site]
* [http://www.navysite.de/cg/cg69.html "USS Vicksburg" webpage]
* [http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/systems/cec.htm Cooperative Engagement Capability] (CEC)
* [http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/navy/cg-69.htm Globalsecurity.org - CG 69 Vicksburg]
* [http://www.hullnumber.com/CG-69 CG-69 Personnel Roster at HullNumber.com]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.