- Tonight I'm Yours
Tonight I'm Yours Studio album by Rod Stewart Released 6 November 1981 Genre Soft rock, pop, New Wave Label Warner Bros. Producer Jim Cregan, Rod Stewart Rod Stewart chronology Foolish Behaviour
Tonight I'm Yours
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Rolling Stone 
Tonight I'm Yours is a 1981 album by Rod Stewart. It features hints of Classic Rock, Pop and New Wave. The album had two hit singles with, title track "Tonight I'm Yours (Don't Hurt Me)" (#1 on charts), "Young Turks" (#5 on the US charts charts) and "How Long?" (# 2 on charts).
Tonight I'm Yours saw Rod Stewart further adopting current musical trends after some disco-influenced songs on Blondes Have More Fun and Foolish Behaviour by adding elements of Synthpop and New Wave to a couple of songs (the title track, and "Young Turks"), while mostly keeping to his Rock traditions elsewhere. The album included three covers, "Tear It Up", "How Long?", and "Just Like a Woman".
The song "Never Give Up on a Dream" was dedicated to Canadian athleteTerry Fox, who ran 3,339 miles with one prosthetic leg in the Marathon of Hope to raise money for cancer research. Fox succumbed to cancer in 1981, the year the album was released. It also played during the audition process of the seventh season of American Idol, in 2008 .
The album was mostly well-received, receiving 4 stars alike from both Allmusic and Rolling Stone. On Allmusic, Stewart has not yet surpassed the 4-star rating that the album received with any of his subsequent releases.The album has sold more 10 million in worldwide.
- "Tonight I'm Yours (Don't Hurt Me)" 4:09 (Stewart, Jim Cregan, Kevin Savigar)
- "How Long?" 4:12 (Paul Carrack)
- "Tora, Tora, Tora (Out With The Boys)" 4:29 (Stewart)
- "Tear It Up" 2:29 (Dorsey Burnette, Johnny Burnette)
- "Only a Boy" 4:09 (Stewart, Jim Cregan, Kevin Savigar)
- "Just Like a Woman" 3:55 (Bob Dylan)
- "Jealous" 4:30 (Stewart, Carmine Appice, Jay Davis, Danny Johnson)
- "Sonny" 4:01 (Stewart, Cregan, Savigar, Bernie Taupin)
- "Young Turks" 4:56 (Stewart, Appice, Duane Hitchings, Savigar)
- "Never Give Up on a Dream" 4:20 (Stewart, Cregan, Taupin)
The album reached #11 on the "Pop Album Charts" in the USA, eventually going platinum. The song "Young Turks" was the biggest hit from the album, reaching #5 on the "Pop Singles" chart. "Young Turks", and four further singles, "How Long?", "Jealous", "Tonight I'm Yours (Don't Hurt Me)", and "Tora, Tora, Tora (Out With The Boys)", all peaked within the Top 50 of the "Pop Singles" and "Mainstream Rock" charts.
- Rod Stewart - vocals
- Jim Cregan - guitar, background vocals
- Jeff Baxter, Robin LeMesurier, Danny Johnson - guitar
- Byron Berline - fiddle
- Jimmy "Z" Zavala - harmonica, saxophone
- Kevin Savigar, Duane Hitchings - keyboards
- Jay Davis - bass
- Carmine Appice - drums, background vocals
- Tony Brock - percussion, background vocals
- Paulinho da Costa - percussion
- Tommy Vig - tubular bells
- Linda Lewis, The Penetcostal Community Choir, Penny Jones - background vocals
- Karat Faye- Engineer
Studio albumsAn Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down (1969) · Gasoline Alley (1970) · Every Picture Tells a Story (1971) · Never a Dull Moment (1972) · Smiler (1974) · Atlantic Crossing (1975) · A Night on the Town (1976) · Foot Loose & Fancy Free (1977) · Blondes Have More Fun (1978) · Foolish Behaviour (1980) · Tonight I'm Yours (1981) · Body Wishes (1983) · Camouflage (1984) · Every Beat of My Heart (1986) · Out of Order (1988) · Vagabond Heart (1991) · A Spanner in the Works (1995) · When We Were the New Boys (1998) · Human (2001) · It Had to Be You: the Great American Songbook (2002) · As Time Goes By: The Great American Songbook, Volume II (2003) · Stardust: The Great American Songbook, Volume III (2004) · Thanks for the Memory: The Great American Songbook, Volume IV (2004) · Still the Same... Great Rock Classics of Our Time (2006) · Soulbook (2009) · Fly Me to the Moon...The Great American Songbook Volume V (2010) Live albums CompilationsSing It Again Rod (1973) · The Best of Rod Stewart (1976) · Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 (1979) · Storyteller - The Complete Anthology: 1964–1990 (1989) · The Best of Rod Stewart (1989) · Downtown Train - Selections from the Storyteller Anthology (1990) · If We Fall in Love Tonight (1996) · The Story So Far - The Very Best of Rod Stewart (2001) Concert toursFoot Loose & Fancy Free Tour (1977) · Worth Leavin' Home For Tour (1981-1982) · Soulbook Tour (2010) Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.