Mosaik is a German comic book. First published in December 1955, it is the longest-running German (and European) monthly comic book and the only one originating in East Germany that still exists. Mosaik also appeared in other countries and other languages. In its English-language edition it was published under the title Mosaic.
Mosaik was created by illustrator and caricaturist Hannes Hegen. From 1955 to 1975, the protagonists of Mosaik were Dig, Dag and Digedag, known together as the Digedags. They were replaced in 1976 by Abrax, Brabax and Califax, known together as the Abrafaxe, who are still the main characters today.
More than 200 million issues have been sold from 1955 until today. At the height of its popularity, prior to German reunification, Mosaik had a print run of almost a million copies per month. After reunification, the print run has varied from more than 100,000 in the early 1990s to about 80,000 in 2007.
The East German publisher Verlag Neues Leben, in East Berlin, had wanted to counter Western comics and magazines with a magazine of their own when Hannes Hegen approached them with his ideas for Mosaik and the Digedags. Reaching an agreement with Neues Leben, Hegen created the first issue of Mosaik for publishing in December 1955. Mosaik was published quarterly until July 1957, when it switched to a monthly schedule that has continued uninterrupted to this day. To support the schedule, the publisher hired additional artists, colorists and writers to support Hegen - a team which became known as the Mosaik-Kollektiv (Mosaik Collective). Only Hegen was credited on the cover, however.
In 1975, Hegen left the publisher over a disagreement and took the rights to the Digedags characters with him. The Mosaik-Kollektiv, not wanting to end publication of Mosaik, together created new characters to replace the Digedags. The final versions of the Abrafaxe were created by writer Lothar Dräger and artist Lona Rietschel. During the half-year period of creating the new characters and stories, reprints of old Digedags stories were run in Mosaik, until the new characters premiered in January 1976.
The English editions of Mosaik have mostly appeared mostly under the name Mosaic. Of Hannes Hegen's Mosaik, issue 105, Die Seeräuberburg, was issued in a limited run in 1965 in English as The Pirates Castle. According to a former staff member at the publishing house, this was intended as a promotional issue for the United States market. An agreement had been reached to publish the comic books in the US; however, because of the US policy of economic embargo policy against Eastern European states in the Cold War, the contract could not be fulfilled.
Ten anthology volumes of Hegen's Mosaik were published in English for the international market under the name Mosaic Comic Books:
- The Digedags in America
- The Digedags on the Mississippi
- The Digedags and the Indians
- The Digedags in the Rocky Mountains
- The Digedags in New Orleans
- The Digedags on the Missouri
- The Digedags and the Golden Treasure
- The Digedags in Panama
- The Digedags and the Pirate Island
- The Digedags in New York
In the mid-1980s, 42 Mosaic books were published in English in the GDR for India. There is also a promotional flyer for these issues, which states that the Mosaic with the Abrafaxe is published in English and Arabic in addition to German, advertises for subscriptions, and includes an order form.
English Number German Number English Title German Title 1 9/84 Pursuit Of Robbers Den Räubern Auf Den Fersen 2 10/84 As Prisoners Of Amazonians Als Gefangene Der Amazonen 3 11/84 Alexandra And Roxane Roxane Und Alexander 4 12/84 The Temple Of Vishnu Der Tempel Des Wischnu 5 1/85 Devta's Doot Der Götterbote 6 2/85 Deported Abgeschoben 7 3/85 Marriage Proposal Die Brautwerbung 8 4/85 In The Diamond Mine In Der Diamantenmine 9 5/85 Escaped Into The Desert Ausbruch In Die Wüste 10 6/85 The Ship Of Nearchos Das Schiff Des Nearchos 11 7/85 On The Salt Lake Auf Dem Salzsee 12 8/85 Trick And Counter Trick List Und Gegenlist 13 9/85 In Great Danger In Großer Gefahr 14 10/85 Monastery In The Mountains Das Kloster In Den Bergen 15 11/85 The Fulfilment Of Prophesy Die Erfüllte Weissagung 16 12/85 King Alexandra König Alexander 17 1/86 Mysterious Hermit Der Rätselhafte Einsiedler 18 2/86 In The Empire Of Yeti Im Reich Des Yeti 19 3/86 Abducted And Wanted Entführt Und Gesucht 20 4/86 The Mystery Of Brahman Das Geheimnis Des Brahmanen 21 5/86 On The Ganges Auf Dem Ganges 22 6/86 A Juggling Trick Ein Gauklertrick 23 7/86 Tiger Hunt In Jungle Tigerjagd Im Dschungel 24 8/86 In A Predicament In Schwieriger Lage 25 9/86 Chamatkarak Der Wundertäter 26 10/86 Kings Of The Poor Der König Der Armen 27 11/86 In The Bay Of Bengal Am Bengalischen Meer 28 12/86 Last Miracle Das Letzte Wunder 29 1/87 A New Puzzle Ein Neues Rätsel 30 2/87 The Disappeared Treasure Der Verschwundene Staatsschatz 31 3/87 Unexpected Rescue Unerwartete Rettung 32 4/87 New From Roxania Neues Aus Roxanien 33 5/87 Cheats Among Themselves Gauner Unter Sich 34 6/87 Golden Pillar Die Goldene Säule 35 7/87 Buried Hopes Verschüttete Hoffnungen 36 8/87 Missing In Jungle Im Dschungel Verschollen 37 9/87 Master Of Animal Der Herr Der Tiere 38 10/87 The Last Chance Die Letzte Chance 39 11/87 The Siege Die Belagerung 43 12/85 A Happy End Ein Glückliches Ende 41 1/89 Orang Laut Die Orang Laut 42 2/88 A Crazy Invention Eine Tolle Erfindung
Other known foreign-language publications
Reissues of Mosaik magazines and books have appeared in many different countries, almost always in the respective national language.
- Mozaik comic magazine (1971)
- Belgium and Netherlands (Mosaik in Dutch language)
- Mosaic book - Dig en Dag op Stap (1972 - 1978?)
- Mosaic anthology - Dig en Dag op Stap (1978)
- Een Stripboek - Dikkerdaks In America
- Een Stripboek - Dikkerdaks Aan Mississippi
- Mosaik books (2000–present)
- Mosaik Albums
- Mosaik Onepager
- Mozaik books 1- (2004–present, bimonthly)
- Newspaper Reprints Comic magazine of the Czechoslovak Communist Youth Organization Pionýr with Rytíř Runkl - Ritter Runkel (1968)
- Czech Republic
- Albums (2003–present)
- Congo - Abrafaxové v Africe
- Small detectives
- Mateřídouška (Onepager - from # 9 / 2005)
- Mosaiikki - Mosaik comic magazine (1962-1967)
- Mosaiikki (1980 - 7 Books)
- Hollywood Pursuit 2 (1998)
- Mosaic books and Mosaik comic magazine (2001–present)
- Mozaik comic magazine 1971 - 1976 Digedags, 1976–1990 and 2001–present Abrafaxe
- Digedagék Amerikában (1987)
- Detektív Palánták: Forró nyomon a három manó (2001)
- Na még egyszer Robin! (2002)
- Kongó (2003)
- Vitorlát fel, Robin! (2006)
- Mozaik books of Abrafaxe and Digedags (2006–present): reprints of previously published books in anthologies
- Mosaic - 1-42 in English (1986)
- Abrafaxe issues
- Mosaik Abrafaxe - 1-6 (2001–2002)
- Albums – Among black flag (2002) - The Abrafaxe - Harta karun
- Mosaic books - 1 - (2003–present)
- Mosaik- released in Arabic (1984)
- Mozaic comic magazine 1-3 (2005–2006)
- Abrafaxe issues
- Bacaxizlar 1 - (2001/ # 1-8)
- Mosaik comic magazine - 1-8 (2005–present)
- Matthias Friske. Die Geschichte des MOSAIK von Hannes Hegen: eine Comic-Legende in der DDR. Berlin: Lukas, 2008. ISBN 9783867320344. (German)
- Mark Lehmstedt: Die geheime Geschichte der Digedags. Die Publikations- und Zensurgeschichte des Mosaik von Hannes Hegen, Leipzig 2010, Lehmstedt Verlag, ISBN 978-3-937146-99-7.(German)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.