- Mael Mórdha
Mael Mórdha, 2008
Background information Origin Dublin, Ireland Genres Doom metal, Celtic metal Years active 1998–present Labels Grau Records
Members Roibéard Ó Bogail
Mael Mórdha (pronounced /ˈmeɪl ˈmɔərə/, Irish: [ˈmˠeːlʲ ˈmˠoːɾɣa]) is a doom metal band from Dublin, Ireland. Its name can also be written in traditional Irish typography, as Mael Mórḋa. The band's music melds doom metal with Irish folk music to create what has been referred to as "Gaelic doom metal".
Mael Mórdha was formed in January 1998 by Roibéard Ó Bogail (formerly the vocalist of the band Dreamsfear). On the strength of the band’s last two EPs, Caoineadh na nGael and Cluain Tarbh, the band was signed to Dutch label Karmageddon Media which released the band’s first album, Cluain Tarbh on 12 September 2005. An alternative recording of the album title track was released on a limited edition 7 inch vinyl split with their fellow Irishmen Primordial, through Sentinel Records in the winter of 2005.
Due to severe internal problems within Karmageddon and a lack of availability of the album, the band left the label and signed to Grau Records in Germany in February 2006. Gaeltacht Mael Mórdha is the band's first album to be released through Grau Records, on 19 March 2007. In 2008 their debut album was re-released by Grau Records with two additional tracks previously recorded on the band's first EP, The Path to Insanity.
The band has played the Abbeyleix Metalfest (Éire - 1999), Day Of Darkness (Éire - 2003, 2004, 2007), Bloodstock (England - 2006), Heathen Crusade II (Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA- 2007), Doom Shall Rise, (Göppingen, Germany - 2007) and Dutch Doom Days (Rotterdam, The Netherlands - 2007).
Mael Mórdha's third full-length album, entitled "Manannán", was released on 14 May 2010, by Grau Records.
- Roibéard Ó Bogail - vocals, piano, tin whistles
- Gerry Clince - guitars
- Anthony Lindsay - guitars
- Dave Murphy - bass
- Shane Cahill - drums
Year Album 2005 Cluain Tarbh 2007 Gealtacht Mael Mórdha 2010 Manannán
Year EP 1999 The Path to Insanity 2000 The Inferno Spreads 2003 Caoineadh na nGael 2004 Cluain Tarbh E.P. 2005 Primordial / Mael Mórdha
- ^ Grey, Earl. "Manannan review". Metal Ireland. http://www.metalireland.com/2010/06/20/mael-mordha-roi-manannan/. Retrieved 2010-06-23.
- ^ "blabbermouth.net - Mael Mórdha To Release 'Manannán' In May - Apr. 19, 2010". http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138788. Retrieved June 2010.
- ^ "Mael Mórdha performing on You're A Star". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGjVhvwDkp0.
- ^ Mael Mórdha To Release 'Manannán' In May blabbermouth.net. 2010-04-19. Retrieved on 2010-07-24.
- ^ Mael Mórdha: New Album Delayed Until Next Year blabbermouth.net. 2009-09-06. Retrieved on 2009-10-03.
- Mael Mórdha official website
- Mael Mórdha at MySpace
- Mael Mórdha's on Youtube
- Mael Mórdha at Grau Records
The Path to Insanity · The Inferno Spreads · Caoineadh na nGael · Cluain Tarbh E.P.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.