- Murder on the Orient Express (2001 film)
Murder on the Orient Express (2001 film) Written by Stephen Harrigan Directed by Carl Schenkel Starring Alfred Molina
Country of origin United States Language(s) English Production Producer(s) Marion Rosenberg Cinematography Rex Maidment Running time 100 minutes Distributor Ardustry Home Entertainment LLC
Murder on the Orient Express is a 2001 made-for-television movie, based on the 1934 novel Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie, featuring Hercule Poirot. This version is set in the present day and has a smaller cast than the novel. The original music score was composed by Christopher Franke.
Hercule Poirot is travelling on the Orient Express. While on the journey, Poirot meets a very close friend Bouc, who works for the Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits. The train is stopped when a landslide blocks the line on the second night out from Istanbul, and American millionaire Samuel Edward Ratchett is found stabbed to death the next morning.
Since no footprints are visible around the train and the doors to the other cars were locked, it seems that the murderer must still be among the passengers in Ratchett's car. Poirot and Bouc work together to solve the case. They are aided by Pierre Michel, the middle-aged French conductor of the car.
A key to the solution is Ratchett's revealed involvement in the Armstrong tragedy in America several years earlier, in which a baby was kidnapped and then murdered. (The fictitious Armstrong case was apparently inspired by the real-life kidnapping of Charles Lindbergh's baby son.)
- Alfred Molina .... Hercule Poirot
- Meredith Baxter .... Mrs. Caroline Hubbard
- Leslie Caron .... Sra. Alvarado
- Amira Casar .... Helena von Strauss
- Nicolas Chagrin .... Pierre Michel
- Tasha de Vasconcelos .... Vera Rossakoff
- David Hunt .... Bob Arbuthnot
- Adam James .... William MacQueen
- Dylan Smith .... Tony Foscarelli
- Peter Strauss .... Mr. Samuel Ratchett
- Fritz Wepper .... Wolfgang Bouc
- Kai Wiesinger .... Philip von Strauss
- Natasha Wightman .... Mary Debenham
- Murder on the Orient Express is a 1974 film with Albert Finney as Poirot.
- In December 2010 the series Agatha Christie's Poirot, featuring David Suchet as Poirot, aired their own adaptation of this story.
Films directed by Carl SchenkelGraf Dracula beißt jetzt in Oberbayern · Kalt wie Eis · Abwärts · Bay Cove · The Mighty Quinn · Silence Like Glass · The Edge · Silhouette · Knight Moves · Beyond Betrayal · Exquisite Tenderness · In the Lake of the Woods · Kalte Küsse · Tarzan and the Lost City · Missing Pieces · Feindliche Übernahme - althan.com · Murder on the Orient Express
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.