- Miss Texas Teen USA
Texas is one of the most successful states across all twenty-seven years of competition at Miss Teen USA. They have had fifteen semi-finalists, three more than any other state. Despite this, they have only won the crown on two occasions, in 1996 when Christie Lee Woods took the title (Woods later went on to star in The Amazing Race 5) and 15 years later in 2011 when Danielle Doty won. Despite the vast number of semi-finalists, they have not won any major awards, although Andria Mullins did win a Style award in 1997.
Texas's best performance came in the 1980s, where they placed in all but one year and were runners-up on five occasions. Despite this, they still placed second to New York in that decade in terms of number and value of placements . Despite being on top overall, Texas has never been the best state in any particular decade.
While a number of Texas teens have competed for the Miss Texas USA title, only four have won both pageants. The most successful of these was Nicole O'Brian, who placed 1st runner-up at Miss Teen USA and 2nd runner-up at Miss USA. O'Brien also competed alongside Woods on The Amazing Race 5. Woods was the first Miss Teen USA to not win a Miss title on her first attempt, and despite competing in a number of years never won the Miss Texas USA crown. Andria Mullins was another who tried unsuccessfully to win the Miss Texas USA title on a number of occasions (she has also competed unsuccessfully at Miss New York USA and Miss California USA).
- Winners: Christie Lee Woods (1996), Danielle Doty (2011)
- First runners-up: Becky Pestana (1986), Nicole O'Brian (2000)
- Third runners-up: Konae Wehle (1985), Kristi Wright (1989), Katherine Perello (2001)
- Fourth runners-up: Sheri Scholz (1983), Charlene Molinar (1984),
- Top 6: Becky Fisher (1990)
- Top 10: Libby Pelton (1988), Christie Cole (1998), Misty Giles (1999)
- Top 12: Kara Williams (1991)
- Top 15: Tye Felan (2003), Magen Ellis (2004)
- Style Award: Andria Mullins (1997)
- Swimsuit award: Nicole O'Brian (2000), Katherine Perello (2001)
- Miss Photogenic: Chelsea Morgensen (2010)
Year Name Hometown Age1 Placement at Miss Teen USA Special awards at Miss Teen USA Notes 2011 Danielle Doty Harlingen 18 Winner 2010 Chelsea Morgensen Laredo 15 Miss Photogenic 2009 Kelli Harral Fort Stockton 16 2008 Lauren Guzman Laredo 18 2007 Sommer Isdale Harker Heights 16 2006 Raevan Valadez Spicewood 18 2005 April Ford Texarkana 18 2004 Magen Ellis Whitehouse 17 Semi-finalist Later Miss Texas USA 2007, top 10 at Miss USA 2007 2003 Tye Felan Tomball 18 Semi-finalist 2002 Brittany Tiner Freeport 16 2001 Katherine Perello Lake Jackson 16 3rd runner-up Body Glove Swimsuit Award 2000 Nicole O'Brian Friendswood 17 1st runner-up Swimsuit Award Later Miss Texas USA 2003, 2nd runner up at Miss USA 2003, contestant on The Amazing Race 5 1999 Misty Giles Killeen 18 Semi-finalist Contestant on Survivor: Panama 1998 Christie Cole Houston 16 Semi-finalist 1997 Andria Mullins Waco 16 Style award Competed at nine Miss USA state pageants, contestant on The Starlet 1996 Christie Lee Woods Huntsville 18 Winner Contestant on The Amazing Race 5 1995 Mandy Jeffreys Midland 17 Appeared on The Bachelor 1994 Jaqueline Pena Corpus Christi 1993 Erin Burnett Plano 1992 Carissa Blair Columbus Later Miss Texas USA 1999 1991 Kara Williams Houston Semi-finalist Later Miss Texas USA 1996, semifinalist at Miss USA 96, finished 9th at Miss USA 96 1990 Becky Fisher Cypress Finalist 1989 Kristi Wright Del Rio 3rd runner-up 1988 Libby Pelton Austin Semi-finalist 1987 Richelle Kesling Spring 1986 Becky Pestana San Antonio 1st runner-up 1985 Konae Wehle Humble 3rd runner-up 1984 Charlene Molinar El Paso 18 4th runner-up 1983 Sheri Scholz El Paso 4th runner-up
1 Age at the time of the Miss Teen USA pageant
- ^ Obernauer, Matthew (2006-01-06). "Austin student learning her role as Miss Texas Teen USA ; Life as beauty queen? Sometimes, it's work". Austin American-Statesman. p. B1.
- ^ "A tiara fit for a teen". Houston Chronicle. 2001-11-27.
- ^ Warren, Mike (2000-12-06). "Lake Jackson's Perello takes home title of Miss Texas Teen USA". Houston Chronicle.
- ^ Tavakoli, Brenda (1998-11-30). "Killeen student wins Miss Texas Teen USA". Houston Chronicle.
- ^ Berger, Eric (1997-12-01). "Houston teen wins pageant". Houston Chronicle. p. 2A.
- ^ Associated Press (1987-11-30). "Around Texas & Southwest/Austin girl crowned Miss Texas Teen-USA". The Dallas Morning News. p. 18A.
Texas pageantry Miss Teen USA state pageants
Alabama · Alaska · Arizona · Arkansas · California · Colorado · Connecticut · Delaware · District of Columbia · Florida · Georgia · Hawaii · Idaho · Illinois · Indiana · Iowa · Kansas · Kentucky · Louisiana · Maine · Maryland · Massachusetts · Michigan · Minnesota · Mississippi · Missouri · Montana · Nebraska · Nevada · New Hampshire · New Jersey · New Mexico · New York · North Carolina · North Dakota · Ohio · Oklahoma · Oregon · Pennsylvania · Rhode Island · South Carolina · South Dakota · Tennessee · Texas · Utah · Vermont · Virginia · Washington · West Virginia · Wisconsin · Wyoming
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.