- Chile Chico
Chile Chico — Town and Commune — Coordinates (town): Coordinates: Country Chile Region Aisén Province General Carrera Government  - Type Municipality - Alcalde Luperciano Muñoz González (PPD) Area - Total 5,922.3 km2 (2,286.6 sq mi) Population (2002 Census) - Total 4,444 - Density 0.8/km2 (1.9/sq mi) - Urban 3,042 - Rural 1,402 Sex - Men 2,378 - Women 2,066 Time zone CLT  (UTC-4) - Summer (DST) CLST  (UTC-3) Area code(s) 56 + Website Municipality of Chile Chico
Chile Chico (Spanish for Little Chile) is a town in General Carrera Province, Aisén Region, Patagonia, Chile. It is located on the south shore of General Carrera Lake. Chile Chico, which has around 3,000 inhabitants, is the eponymous capital of the commune and capital of the General Carrera Province of the Aysén Region.
The town is 6 km (4 mi) west of the border with Argentina, and 8 km from the Argentine town of Los Antiguos, with which it is connected by a paved road. A car ferry connects the town with Puerto Ingeniero Ibáñez on the north shore of the lake.
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Chile Chico spans an area of 5,922.3 km2 (2,287 sq mi) and has 4,444 inhabitants (2,378 men and 2,066 women). Of these, 3,042 (68.5%) lived in urban areas and 1,402 (31.5%) in rural areas. The population grew by 18.3% (687 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses.
As a commune, Chile Chico is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2008-2012 alcalde is Luperciano Muñoz González (PPD).
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Chile Chico is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by René Alinco (PDC) and David Sandoval (UDI) as part of the 59th electoral district, which includes the entire Aisén Region. The commune is represented in the Senate by Antonio Horvath Kiss (RN) and Patricio Walker Prieto (PDC) as part of the 18th senatorial constituency (Aisén Region).
- ^ a b (Spanish) "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades". http://www.chilechico.cl. Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- ^ a b (Spanish) "Municipality of Chile Chico". http://www.chilechico.cl. Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- ^ a b c d (Spanish) "National Statistics Institute". http://www.ine.cl/canales/chile_estadistico/censos_poblacion_vivienda/censo_pobl_vivi.php. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- ^ "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. http://www.world-time-zones.org/zones/chile-time.htm. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- ^ "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. http://www.world-time-zones.org/zones/chile-summer-time.htm. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- (Spanish) Municipality of Chile Chico
< Communes and municipalities in Aisén Region > Aisén Province Capitán Prat Province Coyhaique Province General Carrera ProvinceChile Chico · Río Ibáñez
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.