- Nightwing (album)
Nightwing Studio album by Marduk Released August 4, 1998 Recorded October – November 1997 at The Abyss, Pärlby, Sweden Genre Black metal Length 47:23 Label Osmose Productions Producer Marduk Professional reviews Marduk chronology Here's No Peace
Panzer Division Marduk
Nightwing is the fifth studio album by Swedish black metal band Marduk. It was recorded and mixed at The Abyss between October and November 1997 and released in April 1998 by Osmose Productions. The theme of the album was blood, as the band's following studio albums Panzer Division Marduk would be war, and La Grande Danse Macabre would be death, forming a trilogy of "Blood, War and Death," Marduk's vision of what black metal is.
In 2008, Nightwing was re-released with a new mastering, an alternative cover artwork and a live DVD of a show in Rotterdam 1998.
On Nightwing, the theme is blood, divided in two parts: The first in the satanic ways customary of Marduk's lyrics, but the second part tells the history of Vlad 'Tepes' Drakul, the Impaler of Wallachia who fought against the Ottoman invasion on Europe, giving continuity to the history started on "Deme Quaden Thyrane", a track from their third studio album, Opus Nocturne, and continued with "Dracul Va Domni Din Nou In Transylvania" from Heaven Shall Burn... When We Are Gathered. "Deme Quaden Thyrane" appears also here, rearranged, with Legion's vocals and a little change in the lyrics at the end.
Chapter I - Dictionnaire Infernal No. Title Length 1. "Preludium" 2:09 2. "Bloodtide (XXX)" 6:43 3. "Of Hells Fire" 5:22 4. "Slay the Nazarene" 3:48 5. "Nightwing" 7:34 Chapter II - The Warlord of Wallachia No. Title Length 6. "Dreams of Blood and Iron" 6:19 7. "Dracole Wayda" 4:07 8. "Kaziklu Bey (The Lord Impaler)" 4:02 9. "Deme Quaden Thyrane" 5:06 10. "Anno Domini 1476" 2:13
Re-Issue Bonus DVD
Live in Rotterdam 1998
- Of Hells Fire
- Those Of The Unlight
- Slay The Nazarene
- The Black...
- Still Fucking Dead
- Sulphur Souls
- Dreams Of Blood And Iron
- Beyond The Grace Of God
- The chapter to which the title track belongs is uncertain, as "Nightwing" is completely absent from the track listing on the back cover of the album, despite being track 5 on the disc. Probably it is an interlude between the fast blast-beat, anti-Christian satanic massacre of the first chapter and the darker, slower, merciless cruelty of the second chapter.
- An anticipation to the chapter "Warlord of Wallachia" can be found at the end of the Dracul Va Domni Din Nou In Transylvania lyrics, the #7 track in Heaven Shall Burn... When We Are Gathered. The last verses are not sung, but they say "Greater stories are yet to be told".
- The introduction to the track "Slay The Nazarene" is a line from the 1973 film "The Wicker Man".
- Legion – vocals
- Morgan Steinmeyer Håkansson – guitar
- B. War – bass
- Fredrik Andersson – drums
- Peter Tägtgren – mixing
Mortuus · Morgan Håkansson · Magnus Andersson · Lars Broddesson
Andreas Axelsson · Legion · Kim Osara · Peter Tägtgren · Rikard Kalm · B. War · Joakim Göthberg · Fredrik Andersson · Emil Dragutinovic
Studio albums Demos and EPs Live albums Singles"Slay the Nazarene" · "Hearse" Compilations Home videosFuneral Marches and Warsongs · Blood Puke Salvation
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.