Genre Mecha Original video animation Heroic Super-Express Hikarian Directed by Hiroyuki Fukushima
Produced by Iori Suzuki Written by Hiroyuki Fukushima Music by Takumi Kusanagi Studio Artmic Released 1996 Episodes 3 TV anime Japan Hikarian Railroad Directed by Shuichi Kazuyuki Hirokawa
Produced by Tomy
Written by Toshiki Inoue
Music by Yuzo Hayashi Studio Tokyo Kids Co.,Ltd. Network TV Tokyo Original run April 2, 1997 – March 29, 2000 Episodes 156 TV anime Lightning Attack Express
Directed by Hideaki Ōba Produced by Tomy
Written by Toshiki Inoue Music by Yuzo Hayashi Studio Toho
Tokyo Kids Co.,Ltd.
Licensed by Enoki Films Network TV Tokyo Original run April 7, 2002 – March 30, 2003 Episodes 52
The first television series, Chō Tokkyū Hikarian (超特急ヒカリアン, lit. "Super Express Hikarian") is about a series of bullet trains that are turned into robots. The robots, along with two humans named Tetsuyuki Shinbashi (新橋 テツユキ Shinbashi Tetsuyuki) and Minayo Kanda (神田 ミナヨ Kanda Minayo), have to stop an alien invasion.
A second television series, Denkō Chō-Tokkyū Hikarian (電光超特急ヒカリアン, lit. "Ultra Lightning Express Hikarian"), was later created. The new series stars a new Hikarian, Lightning West, and a new human lead, Kenta Hijiribashi (聖橋 ケンタ Hijiribashi Kenta).
Enoki Films has licensed the series for an English release. The company has suggested name changes (e.g. Tetsuyuki becomes Terry and Minayo becomes Mina) but the series is not yet available in English, and Enoki may sublicense the series to another company who may decided to keep the original Japanese names, use Enoki's suggested English names, or use original English names.
The main characters in Hikarians are the Hikarians who fight against the Bratchet gang and their plan operation Darkness. All of the character, save for the Black Express, are base on real life train model. Interestingly, the series also depict them operate like one during time of peace.
- Nozomi： The most dynamic hero of the entire Hikarian members. He is full of fighting spirit. He uses a shield and sword.
- Tsubasa： He is very sharp and agile even in narrow places or on highlands.
- Max： The biggest Hikarian. He has strong muscles and uses a huge hammer.
- Hikari：The Captain of Hikarians. Always resourceful and calm.
- Windash: He is a test car called "Win 350." He possesses the power to see the future.
- E2 Jet: He flies at tremendous speed. He scrambles to rescue friends like fighter planes. He uses turbine lasers that pack a punch.
- Police-Win: Patrol Train of the Railroad Police. He uses a laser that helps him sticky situations.
- Fire N'ex: Fire Engine of the Railroad.
- Sniper Sonic: Defense Force of railroad. He has a big cannon.
- Dr. 300X: A test car. He is a very intelligent scientist and invents special cars.
- Nankai Rapi:t: A ninja Hikarian. He uses a ninja sword with a shuriken shield. His attacks are super fast and ninja style.
- Azusa: The rescue car of the railroad.
- West: A most advanced super express. He runs on rails at the highest speed in the world. The wing sensor on his back gives him the power to search the time tunnel. Main character of the second series. Can combine with Sky Garuda to form Lightning Garuda.
- Doctor Yellow: An engineer of Hikarian Headquarters. He assists Dr. 300X.
- E3 Racer
- E4 Power: Max's friend
- Yamabiko and K-kun
- Kodama: Oldest of the Hikarians.
- STAR21: Experimental engineer
- Buster Seven
- Eurostar Blue Euro
- Hitachi Brothers
- Odakyū Romancecar
- Rescue: American Hikarian Road Fire Engine.
- Hikarian X/Shadow X: Combines with Sphinx and Nazca to form God X.
- Tetsuyuki Shinbashi (Terry): A train maniac. He is a good friend of the Hikarians.
- Minayo Kanda (Mina): Terry's girlfriend.
- Black Express: The boss of the Blatcher Gang. He uses an electric maces and most times hides in black smoke.
- Dozilas: The henchmen of Black Express. They have a mild heart and likes to play with children.
- Wookary: A careless and daydreaming guy.
- Silver Express Mastermind of the Blatcher Gang.
- Smoke Jo: The gigantic locomotive made by the Blatchers. When it passes by, everything will turns totally black.
- Baron Euro
Chinese CGI Knockoff
In January 2011 it was announced Pat Lee would be working with Carloon Animation to create a CGI cartoon about trains called Train Hero (高铁侠).. In July, 2011, Chinese viewers of previews were shocked that it was a shot-for-shot knockoff of Hikarian.
- ^ http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-01-28/tv-tokyo-pat-lee-china-carloon-make-train-hero-show
- ^ http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-07-17/chinese-show-similarities-with-hikarian-anime-identified
- ^ http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjg1NDE1Mjgw.html
- Enoki Films's Hikarian page
- Toho Amusement Park Hikarian website
- Hikarian (anime) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia
- Hikarian Lightning Attack Express (anime) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.