- Asia Society
The Asia Society is the leading global and pan-Asian organization whose mission is to strengthen relationships and promote understanding among the people, leaders and institutions of
Asiaand the United States. It was founded in 1956 by John D. Rockefeller III, the third-generation member of the Rockefeller family.
The Society's New York headquarters exhibits the Rockefeller Collection of Asian Art which includes some of the most important masterpieces of Chinese,
Japanese, Indian, Korean, Tibetan, Nepalese, Cambodian and Indonesian art in existence.
The Society aims to prepare Asians and Americans for a shared future by increasing knowledge and enhancing dialog, encouraging creative expression, and generating new ideas across the fields of policy, business, education, arts and culture. It reaches audiences around the world through its headquarters in
New York City, along with a Center on US-China Relations, and regional centers in Houston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington, DC, Hong Kong, Manila, Melbourne, Mumbai, Seouland Shanghai.
nonprofitand nonpartisan educational organization, the Society provides a forum for building awareness of the more than thirty countries broadly defined as the Asia-Pacific region - the area from Japanto Iran, and from Central Asiato Australia, New Zealandand the Pacific Islands. It also has a fellows program which supports full-time resident fellows at the Society with the mission to shape public understanding of social and political developments in Asia. [ [http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/22/arts/design/22glob.html Asia Society Projects - New York Times, 2006] ]
Through art exhibitions and performances, films, lectures, seminars and conferences, publications and media assistance, and materials and programs for students and teachers, the Asia Society is a global educational organization dedicated to increasing the understanding of the culture, history, and contemporary affairs of Asia. It also co-sponsors the "US-Asia Update Roundtable Series" at New York's
Council on Foreign Relations. [ [http://220.127.116.11/search?q=cache:KIuYsWd322MJ:www.cfr.org/project/369/usasia_update_roundtable_series.html+%22david+rockefeller%22+%22asia+society%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=11 Council on Foreign Relations] ]
Exhibits change several times throughout the year. A recent example has been "An Enduring Legacy: The Mr. and Mrs. John D. Rockefeller 3rd Collection", featuring significant sculptures, paintings, ceramics, prints and bronzes from the Society's own holdings.
The Society maintains that international studies should be a new basic for all students in the world. In its efforts to bring this about, it has joined up with the
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundationto work with urban school districts to create small, international studies secondary schools.
American International Group(AIG) was the major sponsor of the Society's 50th anniversary in 2006. The Society is also supported by contributions from foundations, including both the family's Rockefeller Foundationand Rockefeller Brothers Fund, and major corporations (see below). Prominent individuals also support its activities, such as the former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan, Henry Kissinger, Rupert Murdoch[http://www.asiasociety.org/speeches/murdoch04.html] and Senator John D. Rockefeller IV(the founder's son), and his son Charles, who are both trustees of the Society.
Another supporter of the Society is the new UN Secretary-General, the South Korean Foreign Minister
Ban Ki-moon, who gave an address to the Society on September 25, 2006. [ [http://www.asiasociety.org/speeches/06ny_ban.html Address to the Asia Society by new UN Secretary-General] ] Mark Rockefeller(the youngest son of Nelson) and his wife Renee are vice chairmen of the Gala Committee of the Society. The Society's New York Museum is located at 725 Park Avenue (at 70th Street). The chairman of the executive committee is former US Ambassador and long-time associate of the Rockefeller family, Richard Holbrooke; its president is "Vishakha N. Desai", who also sits on the board of the Brookings Institution.
Gala Committee chairmen
Annual Dinner Gala Committee:
John D. Rockefeller IV
Lloyd Blankfein, Goldman, Sachs& Co.
**Sant S. Chatwal, "Hampshire Hotels & Resorts, LLC"
**Stephen H. Long,
**Martin J. Sullivan,
American International Group, Inc.
ome major corporate benefactors
American International Group
SonySome major sponsors:
JP Morgan ChaseSome major contributors:
Johnson & Johnson
John D. Rockefeller III
John D. Rockefeller IV
* [http://www.asiasociety.org The Asia Society Homepage]
* [http://www.asiasource.org/news/special_reports/unsg.cfm South Korean Ban Ki-moon set to become UN Secretary-General] Includes an interview conducted by the Asia Society's "AsiaSource" with the new UN Secretary-General, on September 26, 2006.
* [http://www.asiasociety.org/speeches/06ny_ban.html H.E. Mr. Ban Ki-moon Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Republic of Korea - Address to Asia Society in New York, September 25, 2006.] Includes praise for the Asia Society for its work in strengthening relations between the US and Asia.
* [http://www.asiasociety.org/speeches/06dc_Hu.html Address by President Hu Jintao, of the People’s Republic of China] His address to the Asia Society on visit to the US in April, 2006.
* [http://www.15minutesmagazine.com/archives/Issue_74/front_page.htm Asia Society: Society’s 50th Milestone Honors Rockefellers] Includes Jay Rockefeller and son Charles, Peggy Dulany, Richard Holbrooke, Henry Kissinger and Kofi Annan.
* [http://www.asiasociety.org/support/specialevents/anniversary_dinner/galaspeeches.html#HolbrookeAsia Society Gala 50TH Anniversary Dinner Speeches]
* [http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/05/arts/design/05asia.html?ex=1161489600&en=ded39f6a09ca719f&ei=5070 Art Collecting, the Rockefeller Way] May, 2006 "
New York Times" article on the Asia Society's 50th celebration.
* [http://www.asiasociety.org/about/aboutleo.html The symbol of the Asia Society is the leogryph.]
* [http://www.askasia.org Asia Society resources for teachers and students]
* [http://www.asiasocietymuseum.org Asia Society's art collection]
* [http://www.internationaled.org Asia Society's work in educational policy]
* [http://www.internationalstudiesschools.org Asia Society's schools network]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.