- Asom Sena
Asom Sena Formation December 8, 2005 Type Non-political Purpose/focus Social justice and reformation of the indigenous people of Assam Location Assam, India Region served Assam Official languages Assamese Parent organization AASU
Asom Sena (Assamese অসম সেনা, English the soldiers of Assam) is a vigilante wing of All Assam Students Union in Assam. It was formed in Barpeta on Dec 8, 2005 with the Shiv Sena as its role model for the cause of social justice and reformation of the indigenous people of and within the state Its chief organizer is Lakshman Das and convener is Niranjan Nath. The prime architect of the outfit is Samujjal Bhattacharya, a long time advisor to AASU.
According to Samujjal Bhattacharya, the prime architect of the outfit, "the Asom Sena will function as a front of the AASU and Asom Unnati Sabha. The deprivation of local youths in the matters of appointment in various departments of the governments both in New Delhi and Dipsur (Guwahati) will be a major issue to be taken up by Asom Sena. The volunteers of Asom Sena will never pursue violent activities and remain as a non-political group. Though it may adopt a radical stand in need on the issues of regional interests."
- Mutahidda Majlis-e-Amal (MMA), a minority organization has officially opposes the outfit. It fears that the outfit will terrorise the Bengali-speaking voters and harass the non-Assamese people living in the state.
- Vishwa Hindu Parishad has made a declaration that it would launch a similar outfit named Hindu Sena in the state.
- Banned outfit ULFA expresses its disappointment against the formation of Asom Sena stating that it would create rifts among different ethnic communities in the state. "Instead of forming Asom Sena, the AASU should try to unite the people of Assam," said Pradip Gogoi, arrested Vice-Chairman of ULFA.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i Thakuria, Nava (2005-12-26). "Assam’s media ignore a new sena". The Hoot. http://www.thehoot.org/web/home/searchdetail.php?sid=1881&bg=1. Retrieved 2009-09-28.
- ^ a b "Asom Sena to launch State-wide mass movement". The Hindustan Times. 2006-06-15. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1061327091.html. Retrieved 2009-09-28.
- ^ a b c Kashyap, Samudra Gupta (2006-12-25). "This New Year, Asom Sena to be on lookout for ‘indecent’ revelers". Indianexpress.com. http://www.indianexpress.com/news/this-new-year-asom-sena-to-be-on-lookout-fo/19326/. Retrieved 2009-09-28.
- ^ "Protest to pave path for AASU’s Asom Sena". Northeastvigil. 2005-12-03. http://oldcontent.northeastunlimited.com/10312.html. Retrieved 2009-09-28.
- ^ Chaki, Deborshi (2007-12-31). "Party pooper Asom Sena to moral police New Year revelers". http://ibnlive.in.com/news/party-pooper-asom-sena-to-moral-police-new-year-revelers/55315-3.html. Retrieved 2009-09-28.
- ^ "Ulfa opposes Asom Sena". Asia Africa Intelligence Wire. 2004-12-24. http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-18323444_ITM. Retrieved 2009-09-28.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.