- Old Girlfriends and Other Horrible Memories
Old Girlfriends and Other Horrible Memories Studio album by John Fahey Released 1992 Genre Folk Length 42:39 Label Varrick Producer Terry Robb, John Fahey John Fahey chronology God, Time and Causality
Old Girlfriends and Other Horrible Memories
The Return of the Repressed: The John Fahey Anthology
Old Girlfriends and Other Horrible Memories is an album by American fingerstyle guitarist and composer John Fahey, released in 1992. It also marked the end of an era for Fahey, who would soon be involved in a downward spiral in his personal life, health and career.
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  CMJ New Music (no rating) 
Allmusic critic Richard Meyer gave the album a 3 of 5 stars review, writing "All his trademark elements are here, eclectic song choices, dark and precise playing and a sense of fun." CMJ New Music wrote that "...the mood on Old Girlfriends is one that finds comfort in a certain melancholia and longing spirit rather than dwelling on darker hues. That Fahey can evoke all these emotions with just an acoustic guitar proves the power possible behind simplicity, how one instrument can captivate with only feeling, and in this case memories, providing the motivation."
All songs by John Fahey unless otherwise noted.
- "Twilight Time" (Buck Ram, Morty Nevins, Al Nevins) – 2:30
- "The Sea of Love" (Phillip Baptiste, George Khoury) – 2:04
- "In Darkest Night: The Objectification and Recurrent Sightings of Bizarre and Cathected Screen Memories (from below) Along the Sligo" – 4:00
- "Blueberry Hill" (Vincent Rose, Larry Stock, Al Lewis) – 2:40
- "A Rose and a Baby Ruth" (John D. Loudermilk) – 2:02
- "Claire" – 3:13
- "The Thing at the End of New Hampshire Avenue" – 3:29
- "Don't" – 3:13
- "View" – 4:13
- "Diane Kelley" – 7:40
- "Fear & Loathing at 4th & Butternut" – 3:29
- "Twilight on Prince Georges Avenue" – 4:06
- John Fahey – guitar
- Melody Fahey – ukulele
- John Fahey– producer
- Terry Robb – producer
- Joan Bone – engineer
- Glenn Jones – assistant engineer
- Randy Kling – mastering
- Scott Billington – design
- ^ a b Meyer, Richard. "Old Girlfriends and Other Horrible Memories > Review". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r96175. Retrieved March 22, 2010.
- ^ a b "Old Girlfriends and Other Horrible Memories > Review". CMJ New Music. November 2000. http://prod1.cmj.com/articles/display_article.php?id=15743.
Studio albumsBlind Joe Death · Death Chants, Breakdowns & Military Waltzes · The Dance of Death & Other Plantation Favorites · The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death · The Great San Bernardino Birthday Party & Other Excursions · Days Have Gone By · The Voice of the Turtle · Requia · The Yellow Princess · The New Possibility · America · Of Rivers and Religion · After the Ball · Fare Forward Voyagers (Soldier's Choice) · Old Fashioned Love · Christmas with John Fahey Vol. II · John Fahey Visits Washington D.C. · Yes! Jesus Loves Me · Railroad · Let Go · Popular Songs For Christmas and the New Year · Rain Forests, Oceans and Other Themes · I Remember Blind Joe Death · God, Time and Causality · Old Girlfriends and Other Horrible Memories · City of Refuge · Womblife · Hitomi · Red Cross 78s and EPsThe Fonotone Sessions · Double 78 · The Mill Pond Live albumsLive in Tasmania · Georgia Stomps, Atlanta Struts and Other Contemporary Dance Favorites · The Great Santa Barbara Oil Slick · On Air CollaborationsThe Epiphany of Glenn Jones · John Fahey Trio KBOO · John Fahey Trio, Vol. One CompilationsThe Early Sessions · The Essential John Fahey · Leo Kottke, John Fahey & Peter Lang · The Best of John Fahey 1959–1977 · The Return of the Repressed: The John Fahey Anthology · The Legend of Blind Joe Death · The Best of the Vanguard Years · The Best of John Fahey, Vol. 2: 1964–1983 · Sea Changes & Coelacanths: A Young Person's Guide to John Fahey · Vanguard Visionaries · Twilight on Prince Georges Avenue: Essential Recordings Tribute albumsA Tribute to John Fahey · I Am the Resurrection: A Tribute to John Fahey · Friends of Fahey Tribute · The Revenge of Blind Joe Death: The John Fahey Tribute Album · The Great Koonaklaster Speaks: A John Fahey Celebration Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.