- Transport Accident Investigation Commission
Transport Accident Investigation Commission Te Komihana Tirotiro Aitua Waka Agency overview Formed 1 September 1990 Jurisdiction New Zealand Agency executive Hon Bill Jeffries, Chief Commissioner Parent agency Ministry of Transport Website www.taic.org.nz
The Transport Accident Investigation Commission (TAIC) is a transport safety body of New Zealand. It has its headquarters on the 16th floor of the AXA Centre in Wellington.
It was established by Act of the Parliament of New Zealand on 1 September 1990. TAIC's legislation, functions and powers were modelled on and share some similarities with the National Transportation Safety Board (USA) and the Transportation Safety Board (Canada).
In May 2006, the Aviation Industry Association claimed too often the organisation did not find the true cause of accidents, after TAIC released the results of a second investigation into a fatal helicopter crash at Taumarunui in 2001. The Commission rejected the criticism, CEO Lois Hutchinson citing the results of a March 2003 audit by the International Civil Aviation Organization.
Ron Chippindale, who investigated the Mount Erebus Disaster, was Chief Inspector of Accidents from 1990 to 31 October 1998.
- ^ "Contact Us." Transport Accident Investigation Commission. Retrieved on 28 September 2010.
- ^ "Air crash investigators hit back". New Zealand Herald. 23 May 2006. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/transport-accident-investigation-commission/news/article.cfm?o_id=316&objectid=10383188. Retrieved 2008-10-22.
- ^ "Bulletin October 1998". TAIC. http://www.taic.org.nz/News/Bulletins/BulletinOctober1998/tabid/144/Default.aspx. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
New Zealand independent crown entities Part of the State sector organisations in New Zealand
Accounting Standards Review Board · Broadcasting Standards Authority · Children's Commissioner (New Zealand) · Commerce Commission · Drug Free Sport New Zealand · Electoral Commission · Financial Markets Authority (New Zealand) · Health and Disability Commissioner · Human Rights Commission · Independent Police Conduct Authority · Law Commission · Office of Film and Literature Classification (New Zealand) · Privacy Commissioner (New Zealand) · Takeovers Panel (New Zealand) · Transport Accident Investigation Commission
Aviation accident and incident investigation agencies Africa Asia Europe North America Oceania South AmericaCategories:
- Car safety
- Organizations investigating aviation accidents and incidents
- Rail accident investigators
- New Zealand independent crown entities
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.