Decon Founded 2002 Headquarters New York, NY, United States Key people Peter Bittenbender, CEO + Co-Founder
Jason Goldwatch, Co-Founder + ECD
Website [http://www.decon.co/ Decon
Decon is a New York based idea shop / production company / record label. Its in-house label represents hip-hop and contemporary R&B artists including Jay Electronica, Nneka, 88-Keys, RJD2, the Alchemist, Freddie Gibbs, Goapele, and Aceyalone.
Originally named Deconstruction Company, the company was founded in 2002 by Peter Bittenbender and Jason Goldwatch as a video production and creative shop. Decon's success with the award-winning hip-hop documentary One Big Trip, allowed the company to expand its services into the production, design, marketing, and the music industry.
Decon has worked with a variety of different clients in the music and brand space, including Nike, Red Bull, Activision, HBO, Universal Music Group, Def Jam, MTV, and Teva. In 2008, they produced a full-length feature, A Million in the Morning starring Vice Magazine's Gavin McInnes, for Netflix; worked on video production for the Sony Ericsson TV campaign; and contributed to the soundtracks for Take Two's 2K Sports franchise. They are also responsible Teva's 2009 "The Naturist" ad campaign. . Most recently, Decon has been partnering with top creative agencies such as Droga5, TBWA Chiat Day and Publicis to produce commercials and content for brands such as Puma, Nissan, Adidas and Malibu Rum.
Decon Records released Haiku D'Etat's Coup de Theatre with Project Blowed in 2004. Since then, it has released multiple records by Aceyalone, Dilated Peoples, Wax Tailor, and Evidence. In 2008, the label signed 88-Keys to release his concept album The Death of Adam, on which Kanye West served as executive producer. More recent releases have included Chali 2na's Fish Outta Water (2009) and Nneka's The Uncomfortable Truth EP (2009). and Jay Electronica's "Exhibit A" and "Exhibit C" singles. Decon is also responsible for licensing RJD2's "A Beautiful Mine" as the theme song of the AMC show Mad Men. In 2011, the label agreed to distribute Goapele's album Break of Dawn under license from her own company.
Decon has an in-house music video production studio. Jason Goldwatch, one of the two Co-Founders, has directed videos by Jay-Z, Ludacris, Hieroglyphics, and Evidence. Decon's video for "Stay Up! (Viagra"), the first single from The Death of Adam, was featured in an MTV special and premiered on March 16, 2009.
- The Alchemist
- Chali 2na
- Dilated Peoples
- Freddie Gibbs
- Gangrene (The Alchemist + Oh No)
- Haiku D'Etat
- Jay Electronica
- Jurassic 5
- Pusha T
- Rakaa Iriscience
- Roc Marciano
- ^ "Okayplayer True Notes Vol. 1" Rapster.com
- ^ "Jason Goldwatch - Film Clip/Movie Director" Oz Hip Hop September 23, 2007
- ^ "Brands Who Become Agencies: Decon Creative Group" PSFK March 25, 2010
- ^ "Netflix Queues Up Movie" Brandweek August 5, 2009
- ^ "Decon and Street Carnage Films Present: A Million in the Morning" Music Thread January 21, 2010
- ^ "Deconstructing Boundaries," Advertising Age October 23, 2008
- ^ "DCN360: Decon Records' Indie Approach to 360 Deals" Pro Hip Hop November 3, 2008
- ^ "Teva's 'The Naturist' Debuts," Adweek August 27, 2009
- ^ "Vice Co-Founder Stars in Teva's Online Ads" Wall Street Journal August 26, 2009
- ^ Decon Records Discography
- ^ "Peter Bittenbender: the head of the creative agency/label discusses opportunities for artists and brands" Billboard August 8, 2009
- ^ "Hello my name is Jason Goldwatch" Vapors Magazine February 14, 2008
- ^ "Evidence Interview" House of Hip Hop May 26, 2009
- ^ "Kanye West, 88-Keys Become Dirty Old Men For 'Stay Up (Viagra)' Video" MTV March 11, 2009
- ^ "DECON Gets Fresh, Gives Finger" Just An Online Minute... October 22, 2008
- ^ a b Decon Records Artist Page
- ^ "Jay Electronica" Red Bull Music Academy
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.