- Cheng Xu
Xu has made important contributions to the aerodynamic design and research as an engineer and educator. He is the leader of aerodynamic design in the turbomachinery. He performed advanced research and applied his research results to industry turbomachinery design. He developed a three-dimensional viscous optimization design procedure for industry turbomachinery aerodynamic and heat transfer design. He was instrumental in developing high efficiency and wide operating range compressors. He has published almost one hundred papers in peer-reviewed academic journals and refereed conferences. In 2006, Xu was awarded the 2006 Best Paper Award from ASME for his paper A study of Single Stage Centrifugal Compressor.
Xu attended the Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics and received a MS in Aerodynamics in 1992. He received a Ph.D in Mechanical and Production Engineering from the Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, in 1997 and a Ph.D in Turbomachinery from the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, in 2000.
Academic and Professional Journals
- Cheng Xu and W. W. H. Yeung, Discrete Vortex Method for Airfoil with Unsteady Separated Flow. AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Nov.-Dec. 1996.
- W. W. H. Yeung, Cheng Xu and W. Gu, Reduction of transient adverse effects of spoilers, AIAA Journal of Aircraft, May-June, 1997.
- W. W. H. Yeung and Cheng Xu, Separated Flows around Spoilers and Forward-Facing Flaps, AIAA Journal of Aircraft, January-Feb. Vol.35, 1998.
- Cheng Xu and W. W. H. Yeung, Numerical Study of Unsteady Flow around Airfoil with Spoiler, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol.65, No. 1.1998.
- Cheng Xu, W. W. H. Yeung and R. W. Guo, Inviscid and viscous simulation of spoiler performance, The Aeronautical Journal, Aug/Sept. 1998.
- Cheng Xu and W.W.H.Yeung, Aerodynamic characteristics of moving spoilers, AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 36, May/June, 1999.
- C. Xu, and Amano, R.S., Computational Analysis Of Pitch-Width Effects On The Secondary Flows Of Turbine Blades, Computational Mechanics, Vol. 34, No. 2, 2004, pp. 111-120.
- Xu, C., Amano, R.S., and Lee, E.K., Investigation of an Axial Fan-Blade Stress and Vibration Due to Pressure Field Measurement, JSME International Journal, Series B, Vol. 47, No. 1, 2004, pp. 75-90.
- Xu C, Amano, R.S. and Perez, R.A., Experimental Study on Unsteady Pressure Field Investigation of an Axial Fan: Inlet and Outlet Unsteady Pressure Field Measurement, International Journal of Rotating Machinery, Vol. 8, No. 6, 2002, pp. 375-383.
- Xu C and Amano, R.S., Experimental Study on Unsteady Pressure Field Investigation of an Axial Fan: Blade Unsteady Pressure Field Measurement, International Journal of Rotating Machinery, Vol. 8, No. 6, 2002, pp. 385-395.
- Xu C. and Amano, R.S., Flux-Splitting Finite Volume Method for Turbine Flow and Heat Transfer Analysis, Computational Mechanics, 2001, Vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 119-127.
- Xu, C. and Amano, R.S., A Hybrid Numerical Procedure for Cascade Flow Analysis, Numerical Heat Transfer, Part B, 2000, Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 141-164.
- Cheng Xu and R. S. Amano, An Implicit scheme for cascade flow and heat transfer analysis, ASME J. of Turbomachinery, April, 2000.
- Cheng Xu and Michael Muller, Development and Design of a Centrifugal Compressor Volute, 2005, International Journal of Rotating Machinery,2005, issue 3. Pages 190-196.
- Cheng Xu, Design experience and considerations for centrifugal compressor development, proc. IMech E, Vol.221 Part G: J. of Aerospace Eng. 2007. pp273–286.
- Chapter 6—Heat Transfer Predictions of Stator/Rotor Blades and Rotating Disk, Book Chapter in Heat Transfer in Gas Turbine Systems, 2002, pp. 227-261, ISBN 1-85312-666-7, ISSN: 1369-7331, WIT Press, UK.
- B. Sunden & M. Faghri, Heat transfer in gas turbines, 2001, WIP press.
- R.S.Amano and B. Sunden, Thermal Engineering Aspects in Power Systems, ISBN 978-1-84564-062-0 ISSN: 1369-7331WIT Press (2009)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.