- Victorian house
A Victorian house is a term generally used to describe a house built during the
Victorian era(1840-1904), a time of rapid industrialization in Europeand North Americawhich brought sprung new innovations in architecture and design.
Victorian house styles include
Second Empire, Queen Anne, Stick (and Eastlake Stick), Shingle-style, Richardsonian Romanesque, and others. [ [http://www.oldhouses.com/styleguide/victorian-houses.htm OldHouses.com] ]
Although the general public often incorrectly refers to a
Victorian erahouse as a Victorian "style" house, Victorian era refers to a time period and not to a style. Although architectural historians generally agree that there are about eight primary architectural styles prominent in the United Statesand Canadaduring the Victorian era, Victorian-era residential architecture in the United States and Canada was a procession of styles borrowed from every country and every era in history. Fact|date=August 2008
Victorian-era homes can be one, two, or three stories high, with the homes in Eastern US cities tending to be three stories and homes in Western US cities more typically two-story homes or one-story cottages. In some regions regions of the country, but is not representative of a typical Victorian era-home in all regions.
Multi-colored Victorian era houses in
San Franciscoare known as Painted Ladies.
List of house styles
Queen Anne Style architecture
* cite book
last = Larsen
first = Michael
authorlink = Michael Larsen
coauthors = Elizabeth Pomada, Photographs by Douglas Keister
title = Daughters of Painted Ladies: America's Resplendent Victorians
year = 1987
publisher = E. P. Dutton
location = New York
isbn = 0-525-48337-3
* [http://victoriansanfrancisco.com/ Victorian era architecture in San Francisco, California]
* [http://www.sfheritage.org/house.html#house/ The Haas-Lilienthal House, the only Victorian era house museum in San Francisco, California]
* [http://www.buffaloah.com/ Victorian era architecture and history in Buffalo, New York]
* [http://houseofantiquehardware.com/site/timeline/tl_victorian.html/ History and Style of Victorian Architecture and Hardware]
* [http://www.achome.co.uk/architecture/manchester/manchester.htm Manchester, a Victorian City]
* [http://historicalhamilton.com/ Photographs of Victorian Homes in Hamilton, Ontario Canada]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.