Solarroller is a BEAM
dragster photovore robotrun by solar panel that utlilizes sunlight. In competitions between solarrollers, each one must run one meterin the shortest timepossible. Components include pager motors, capacitors, resistors, transistors, and solar panels.
There are several different kinds of configurations of solarrollers, with bigger or smaller wheels, one or two motors. Configurations differences include:
* motor (number and output),
wheels (number and size), and
* frame designs
This robot type always moves forwards. The motor drives one or more wheels. A "
Solar Engine" circuit is used to feed the robot.Solarroller's speed is directly related to the amount of light robot registers on its optical sensor. Most are driven by an electronic " relaxation oscillator", in which a charge is accumulate in a capacitor while at rest and then suddenly released in the drive mechanism.
* "Simple Solaroller". Electronics Now, June, 1997.
* [http://library.solarbotics.net/apocrypha/pix/solaroller_circuits.gifSolarroller circuits] . Mark Tilden's hand-written notes (c. 1990), solarbotics.net.
* [http://library.solarbotics.net/apocrypha/pix/solaroller_mechanics.gifSolarroller mechanics] . Mark Tilden's hand-written notes (c. 1990), solarbotics.net.
* [http://www.solarbotics.net/bestiary/2420_solarroller_gal.html Solarbotics.net gallery of Solarrollers]
* [http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beam/messages/ BEAM robotics Yahoo! group]
* [http://www.beam-online.com/Robots/Galleria_other/solarollers.html Beam-Online sollarrolers gallery with several different configurations]
* [http://www.robotgames.net/RobotGames/Event_Rules/2002-BEAM-solaroller.htm 2003 BEAM SolarRoller Race] , robotgames.net
* [http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/index.php?title=Solar_roller Solarrollers on the BEAM Wiki]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.