- Nigel G. Stocks
Nigel G. Stocks
Born 6 September 1964
Bradford, West Yorkshire, UK
Residence UK Nationality British Fields Physicist Institutions University of Warwick Alma mater University of Lancaster Doctoral advisor Peter V. E. McClintock Notable students Mark D. McDonnell Known for SSR
Nigel Geoffrey Stocks, born 6 September 1964, Bradford, West Yorkshire, UK, is a physicist notable for discovering suprathreshold stochastic resonance (SSR) and its application to cochlear implant technology.
He received a BSc in Applied Physics and Electronics (1987) and a PhD in (1991), under Peter V. E. McClintock, at Lancaster University, UK, with a thesis entitled Experiments in Stochastic Nonlinear Dynamics.
His early research work was undertaken in the Lancaster Nonlinear Group and focused on the development of the theory of nonequilibrium dynamical systems and, in particular, on stochastic resonance. Stocks moved to the University of Warwick in 1993 where he joined the Fluid Dynamics Research Centre and undertook studies on transition to turbulence. In 1996 he was awarded a TMR EU Fellowship and worked with Riccardo Mannella at Pisa University before subsequently returning to Warwick as a University of Warwick Research Fellow. He was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2002, Reader in 2005, and full Professor in 2007. Stocks' research interests are in the general area of stochastic nonlinear systems and biomimetics. In particular, his research has focused on neural coding mechanisms for cochlear implants and the development of biomimetic signal processing techniques.
Stocks' scientific genealogy runs as follows:
- 1768, MD, University of Tübingen, Johann Friedrich Gmelin
- 1783, Medicinae Dr., University of Göttingen, Georg Friedrich Hildebrandt
- 1800, PhD, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Johann Salomo Christoph Schweigger
- 1827, Philosophiae Dr., University of Wittenberg, Wilhelm Eduard Weber
- 1863, Dr. rer. nat., University of Göttingen, Friedrich Wilhelm Georg Kohlrausch
- 1887, Dr. rer. nat., University of Würzburg, Walther Hermann Nernst
- 1922, Dr. Phil, University of Berlin, Franz Eugen Simon
- 1931, Dr. Phil, University of Berlin, Kurt Alfred Georg Mendelssohn
- 1952, DPhil, University of Oxford, Harold Max Rosenberg
- 1966, DPhil, University of Oxford, Peter Vaughan Elsmere McClintock
- 1991, PhD, University of Lancaster, Nigel Geoffrey Stocks
Books by Stocks
- Mark D. McDonnell, Nigel G. Stocks, Charles E. M. Pearce, and Derek Abbott, Stochastic Resonance, Cambridge University Press, 2008, ISBN 9780521882620.
- ^ Mark D. McDonnell, Nigel G. Stocks, Charles E. M. Pearce, and Derek Abbott, Stochastic Resonance, Cambridge University Press, 2008.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.