- Don't Go (Yazoo song)
"Don't Go" Single by Yazoo (Yaz) from the album Upstairs at Eric's A-side Don't Go B-side Winter Kills Released 5 July 1982 Format 12" Recorded 1982 Genre Synthpop, New Wave Length 4:08 Label Mute Records
Writer(s) Alison Moyet
Producer Eric Radcliffe
"Don't Go" is the second single taken from the British New Wave band Yazoo's debut album, Upstairs at Eric's. Released in the UK in July of 1982, the song peaked at #3 on the UK singles chart, becoming Yazoo's second top five hit. In the US, where the band was known as Yaz, the song was their second big hit on the American dance chart, where it spent two weeks at #1 in October 1982. Their first American dance chart hit was "Situation", which had also gone to #1 on this chart earlier the same year. The music video for the song features band members Alison Moyet and Vince Clarke in a sort of haunted mansion. The song is also featured in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories on the radio station Wave 103 and it will also appear in Dance Dance Revolution II. The song re-entered the UK Dance Chart on 13 December 2009
- 12" US single (Sire 29886-0)
- "Don't Go (Re-mix)" - 4:08
- "Don't Go (Re-re-mix)" - 4:20
- "Winter Kills (album version)" - 4:03
- "Winter Kills," the B-side to this single, is explicitly listed as "Not re-mixed" and "Not extended" on the album sleeve
- The US 12" single mis-prints the track lengths on the record, listing the "Re-mix" as 5:08 and the "Re-re-mix" as 3:20
The following artists produced a cover or sampled the song:
- 1990 - Latino Party sampled the music in their song "The Party"
- 1993 - Boobytrax (aka doop), using a sample from "Dance with the Devil" by Cozy Powell.
- 1997 - Danish Psytrance band Bypass Unit.
- 1997 - German Death metal band Atrocity, on their Werk 80 album.
- 2002 - André Visior released a Hard Trance version.
- 2005 - The Trance DJ Béla Gábor released the song under the pseudonym Soul Revenger.
- 2006 - Chris Pohl with project Terminal Choice.
- 2006 - The House music duo Jesse Garcia presents Electric Spain.
- 2006 - the Jazz duo Nouvelle Vague featuring Gerald Toto.
- 2006 - Spanish singer Soraya Arnelas.
- 2006 - The French Euro House project Starting Rock featuring Diva Avari.
- 2006 - Kill Beatz covered the song as "Don't Go 2006".
- 2006 - Terminal Choice covered this song on their album "New Born Enemies", as a single, and recorded a video.
- 2006 - Canadian Singer Shawn Desman sampled the melody of the song in his single "Let's Go".
- 2007 - Dutch band Bearforce1 covered the song with other disco hits in their first medley single "Bearforce1".
- 2009 - The Kid Sister song "Big N Bad" from the album Ultraviolet contains interpolations of "Don't Go".
- 2009 - Smoove & Turrell recorded a funk version of the song on the album "Antique Soul".
Redd Hot (all cuts) by Sharon Redd
Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single
October 23, 1982
"Nasty Girl" by Vanity 6
Vince Clarke · Alison Moyet Studio albums CompilationsOnly Yazoo - The Best of Yazoo · In Your Room Live albumsReconnected Live EPsNobody's Diary EP · Reconnected EP Singles Related articles ToursReconnected Tour
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.