- Portucel Soporcel
company_name = Portucel Soporcel
location = flagicon|Portugal Península da Mitrena, Freguesia do Sado,
pulp and paper
revenue = profit
Euro?? million ( 2006)
net_income = profit
Euro82,8 million ( 2006)
num_employees = ??? (
homepage = [http://www.portucelsoporcel.com/ Portucel]
foot_notes =The Portucel Soporcel Group is a Portuguese
pulp and paper company, which has resulted from the union of Portucel and Soporcel. It is one of the five largest European producers of uncoated woodfree paper.
The Portucel Soporcel Group has a productive capacity that exceeds 1 million tonnes of paper and 1.3 million tonnes of pulp, with 1,380 km² of forest and an annual turnover of over of 1,000 million euros.
The Group's production structure is based at three Mills, situated at
Setúbal, Figueira da Fozand Cacia. These large-scale production units are equipped with the most up-to-date technology and are a benchmark for quality within the sector.
The Portucel Soporcel Group stands out for its use of
eucalyptusas the prime raw material for the production of pulp and fine printing and writing paper of superior quality aimed at meeting the demanding European market.
The brand Navigator, the World’s premium office paper best seller, is produced by this group. Portucel Soporcel Group is the biggest forestry owner in Portugal. Due to this role, it is a well known wine, honey, seeds and specific tree (besides eucalyptus) producer. It has a well equipped private firemen department to prevent fires within its forests.
Portucel began operations at the Cacia mill in 1953 producing raw pine pulp, and became a pioneer worldwide in 1957 when it introduced sulphate bleached eucalyptus pulp, at the kraft process, into its production.
Seven years later, at the Setúbal mill, Inapa began its operations in a production unit integrated with Portucel, transforming pulp into paper that was sold throughout Europe.
Portucel bought Papéis Inapa in 2000, thus creating a strategic partnership of great importance in initiating the restructuring process of the pulp and the paper sector in Portugal. With the
takeoverof Soporcel in 2001, Portucel rebranded itself the Portucel Soporcel Group.
The Soporcel's factory in
Figueira da Foz, Portugal, was initially intended to be built in Portuguese Angola, by then an overseas province of Portugal. Due to the Carnation Revolutionin Lisbonon 24th April 1974, the project was delayed and changed. The factory would be installed some years later, in Portugal. Although it began operations in 1984 with the inauguration of the mill at Figueira da Foz, Soporcel had been constituted five years earlier. The first paper machine (PM I) began working in the year 1991 and currently has a capacity of 350,000 tonnes/year.
The installation of the second paper machine (PM II – 425,000 tonnes/year), representing the most advanced technology in the sector, reinforced the position held by the Figueira da Foz mill in the European segment of the uncoated woodfree paper market.
The success that the company has enjoyed from its beginnings is the result of the innovatory spirit in which it has addressed the market and the sale of its products. Soporcel was acquired by Portucel in 2001, creating the Portucel Soporcel Group.
* [http://www.portucelsoporcel.com/ Portucel Soporcel Group]
* [http://yourpaperblog.blogspot.com/ Blog about Paper]
Brands Web Sites
* [http://www.navigator-paper.com/ Navigator]
* [http://www.navigator-usa.com/ Navigator USA]
* [http://www.navigatorkids.com/ Navigator Kids]
* [http://www.navigator-ecological.com/ Navigator Eco-Logical]
* [http://www.discovery-paper.com/ Discovery]
* [http://www.discovery-premium.com Discovery USA]
* [http://www.explorer-paper.com Explorer]
* [http://www.explorer-recycled.com Explorer Recycled]
* [http://www.pioneer-paper.com/ Pioneer (Targeting Women)]
* [http://www.inacopia-paper.com Inacópia]
* [http://www.multioffice-paper.com Multioffice]
* [http://www.target-paper.com Target]
* [http://www.soporset.com/ Soporset]
* [http://www.soporset-usa.com/ Soporset USA]
* [http://www.inaset-paper.com/ Inaset]
* [http://www.iberset-paper.com Iberset]
* [http://www.target-paper.com Target Plus]
* [http://www.pioneer-graphic.com Pioneer Pre-Print]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.