- John Menzies
John Menzies plc Type Public (LSE: MNZS) Founded 1833 Headquarters Edinburgh, Scotland, UK Revenue GB£1,450.4 million (2006) Operating income GB£34 million Net income GB£27.2 million Employees 14,800 (2005) Divisions Menzies Aviation
EM News Distribution (50%)
John Menzies plc is a Scottish business established in 1833. It has two main divisions: Menzies Distribution and Menzies Aviation. Menzies Distribution is a major distributor of newspapers and magazines throughout the United Kingdom. Menzies Aviation is a provider of aviation services to many airlines.
John Menzies and the Menzies Distribution division have their head offices in Edinburgh. The Menzie's Aviation plc division has its head office in Feltham, London Borough of Hounslow. Previously the aviation division head office in the Aviation House at London Heathrow Airport in the London Borough of Hillingdon.
The John Menzies name is still strongly associated with its now-defunct retail operation, particularly in Scotland.
The company was founded by John Menzies of Edinburgh, 1808-1879, a Victorian entrepreneur who built up his small newsagent business (established when he was 25 years old) into a national chain. His grave is in Warriston Cemetery Edinburgh.
Former retail business
Until 1998, John Menzies also owned a chain of newsagent shops, many of which were based at railway stations. In Scotland, it also owned a significant number of larger stores, dominating the same market niche that W H Smith's High Street stores occupied in England and Wales.
In the late 1980s, John Menzies purchased 66 of the Martin Retail Group's largest stores in England, doubling their floor-space overnight. These stores (which had previously traded as Martin the Newsagent, Lavells Newsagents, Lewis Meeson, RS McColl, Sperrings, and House of Andrew) were quickly rebranded as Menzies' stores.
The retail operation was sold to W H Smith High Street (and some to WHSmith Europe Travel Retail) in 1998 to enable Menzies to concentrate on its distribution business.
The name Menzies is traditionally pronounced /ˈmɪŋɪs/ ming-iss, as the "z" is historically the letter ȝ (yogh). Even in Scotland (where the name "Menzies" originated), the name of the retail stores was increasingly pronounced as "John MEN-zeez".
John Menzies provide a humorous guide to the correct pronunciation.
Joint venture between Eason and Menzies
As of February 2007 John Menzies is in the process of merging its newspaper and magazine wholesale distribution businesses in Northern Ireland into a joint venture with Eason & Son to be called EM News Distribution.
- ^ a b "Annual Report 2009." John Menzies plc. 108. Retrieved on 18 February 2011. Principal business addresses John Menzies plc 108 Princes Street Edinburgh EH2 3AA" and "Menzies Distribution 2 Lochside Avenue Edinburgh Park Edinburgh EH12 9DJ" and "Menzies Aviation Aviation House 923 Southern Perimeter Road London Heathrow Airport Hounslow Middlesex TW6 3AE."
- ^ "Contact Us." Menzies Aviation. Retrieved on 18 February 2011. "Menzies Aviation plc, 4 New Square, Bedfont Lakes, Feltham, Middlesex, TW14 8HA, United Kingdom."
- ^ "Head Office Location." Menzie's Aviation. Retrieved on 18 February 2011.
- ^ "Corporate Office." Menzie's Aviation. Retrieved on 18 February 2011. "Menzies Aviation plc, Aviation House, 923 Southern Perimeter Road, London Heathrow Airport, Middlesex, TW6 3AE, UK."
- ^ John Menzies: Name pronunciation
- ^ "Eason and Menzies to form joint venture in Ireland". John Menzies Plc Online News (John Menzies Plc). 2007-01-03.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.