- Children's Medical Center (Dallas)
Children's Medical Center Geography Location Dallas, Texas, United States Services Beds 483 History Founded 1855 Links Website http://www.childrens.com Lists Hospitals in Texas
Children's Medical Center is the only academic healthcare system in Dallas-Fort Worth dedicated solely to the comprehensive care of children from birth to age 18. Its mission as a private, not-for-profit, pediatric hospital system is “to make life better for children.”
Children's has grown to include two hospitals – one in Dallas and one in Plano – and several other outpatient centers. The hospital system's connection to a nearby medical school in the region, the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, drives innovations and excellence in care.
Children's provides care ranging from neonatal critical care to sports medicine, from trauma to eating disorders. The system offers highly specialized, nationally recognized care for illnesses such as heart disease, cancer and blood disorders, and cystic fibrosis.
U.S. News & World Report and Parents named Children's and its specialty programs among the top ten in the nation. Many of its programs hold accreditations that no other hospital in Dallas-Fort Worth can claim. In 2009, Children's achieved nursing Magnet Recognition status by the American Nurses Credentialing Center for excellence in nursing practice.
Children's traces its origins to the summer of 1913, when a group of nurses organized an open-air clinic on the lawn of the old Parkland Hospital in Dallas. The nurses recognized that children received better care when it was focused only on them. The clinic grew into the Bradford Hospital for Babies, which merged with Children's Hospital of Texas and Richmond Freeman Memorial Clinic in 1948 to form what is now known as Children's Medical Center.
Children's fulfills its mission to make life better for children in part by working to educate officials and the public on matters of healthcare, education, safety, and security.
Children's is a founding member of the Coalition for North Texas Children, a nonpartisan educational alliance of national, state and local nonprofit organizations working together to solve the serious problems children face. These efforts extend into the areas of access to children's health insurance, child abuse, pediatric AIDS, childhood obesity, and community health and wellness.
Children's connects uninsured families with the resources available to receive insurance. Children's also leads the Dallas-area SAFE KIDS Coalition to raise awareness about childhood injury prevention.
Children's Medical Center Dallas serves as the hospital system's main campus. Located at 1935 Medical District Drive in the heart of Dallas, Children's Dallas is licensed for 411 beds and receives more than 360,000 patient visits annually. The hospital features 24 of the largest, most technologically advanced operating rooms available in pediatrics today.
The campus offers families and visitor several amenities, including the tranquil Haggerty Chapel, a cafeteria with multiple dining options, family resource libraries, Starbucks coffee shops, ATMs and a full-service gift shop. Services such as child life, guest relations, pastoral care and social work help families address the unique concerns that come with having a hospitalized child. The Dallas Ambulatory Care Pavilion, located across the street from the main hospital, provides young patients with easy access to an array of specialty outpatient services in one convenient location.
Children’s Medical Center at Legacy in Plano opened in 2008 providing care to more patients around North Texas and beyond. Children's at Legacy has the largest collection of pediatric outpatient subspecialty programs under one roof in the nation.
- Children's was the first pediatric hospital in the nation accredited in all three modes of transportation: ground ambulance, helicopter, and jet.
- Children's has the largest heart center for children in Dallas-Fort Worth.
- Children's developed the nation's first day surgery program for children.
- The Children's Sleep Center is the only pediatric-specific sleep center in Dallas accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
- Children's Dallas has Texas' largest intensive care unit just for children.
- Children's Dallas has the first pediatric-designated Level 1 trauma center in Texas.
- Children's has the oldest comprehensive cancer survivor program in Dallas-Fort Worth.
- The Children's Cystic Fibrosis Center is one of the largest centers for cystic fibrosis in Dallas-Fort Worth and is accredited as a “Center of Excellence” by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
- Children's is the first pediatric hospital to receive multiple disease-specific certifications from The Joint Commission.
- Children's Dallas is the principal clinical site for the Southwestern Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center and the recipient of a multi-million dollar, five-year grant to develop treatments and a cure.
- Children's has an active extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) program for children with cardiac and cardiopulmonary diseases.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.