- Peter Bone
name = Peter Bone
honorific-suffix = MP
constituency_MP2 = Wellingborough
majority2 = 687 (1.3%)
5 May 2005
birth_date = Birth date and age|1952|10|19|df=yes
nationality = British
spouse = Jennie
party = Conservative
children = Alexander, Helen, Thomas
Peter Bone was born in 1952 in
Billericayand was educated at Westcliff-on-SeaHigh School for Boys. In 1977 he was elected as a councillor to Southend-on-SeaBorough Council, where he served for eight years until 1986. He was elected as the Vice Chairman of the Southend West Conservative Association. He qualified as a chartered accountantand became the Finance Director of The EssexElectronics and Precision Engineering Group. In 1982, he became press secretaryto Paul Channon MP.
Peter plays cricket for Cambridge Methodists Cricket Club in Leeds, West Yorkshire. He bowls left arm around the wicket with varying degrees of success.
Peter Bone became the Chief Executive of The High Tech Electronics Company in 1983 until 1990.
He contested the parliamentary seat of Islwyn in the
South Walesindustrial valleys at the 1992 general election against the Leader of the Opposition Neil Kinnock. Bone came second, some 24,500 votes behind Kinnock. He subsequently fought the European Parliamentelection in 1994 for Wales Mid and West.
He was chosen for the seemingly safe Conservative seat of Pudsey following the retirement of the veteran MP
Giles Shawat the 1997 general election. But 1997 was a bad year for the Tories and Labour swept to power nationally, and Bone lost Pudsey to Paul Truswellby over 6,000 votes.
In the 2001 general election he fought the ultra marginal of Wellingborough, where the sitting Labour MP
Paul Stinchcombewas holding on with a majority of just 187, having defeated the veteran Tory MP Peter Fryin 1997. It was another close fight in Wellingborough, and Stinchcombe held on to his seat by 2,355. However, four years later, in the 2005 general election, Bone ousted Stinchcombe in Wellingborough with a majority of 687 votes. He made his maiden speechon 7 June 2005. Bone is regularly one of the ten most active MPs in Parliament, in terms of Questions asked and other contributions.
* [http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do?def=people.person.page&personID=43417 Peter Bone MP] biography at the site of the Conservative Party
* [http://politics.guardian.co.uk/person/0,9290,-6172,00.html Guardian Unlimited Politics - Ask Aristotle: Peter Bone MP]
* [http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/peter_bone/wellingborough TheyWorkForYou.com - Peter Bone MP]
* [http://www.wellingboroughconservatives.org/member_of_parliament/index.html Wellingborough Conservatives]
* [http://publicwhip.org.uk/mp.php?mpn=Peter_Bone&mpc=Wellingborough The Public Whip - Peter Bone MP] voting record
* [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/mpdb/html/619.stm BBC Politics page]
* [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/6458595.stm Asbos in March 2007]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.