- Edmund H. Garrett
Garrett was born in
Albany, New Yorkon October 19, 1853. While little is known of his initial art education, Garrett rose through the ranks to become a distinguished member of the Boston Art Cluband the [http://www.copleysociety.org Copley Society] -- and was an acquaintance and colleague of renown impressionist artist Childe Hassam. He studied at the Académie Julianin Parisunder Gustave Boulanger, Jules Lefebvre, John Paul Laurens, and Hector Leroux. After residing in Paris for approximately five years, he returned to America to establish a successful studio in Boston.
Garrett provided the chief influence for Childe Hassam's first study trip to Europe in July 1883. On June 30, 1883, Garrett and Hassam sailed to Europe aboard the " [http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/pcards/0/0/0/doc/pc000549.shtml SS Anchoria] ", then travelled for several months throughout Great Brittan,
The Netherlands, France, Italy, Switzerlandand Spainstudying paintings from the old masters and creating watercolors of the European countryside. In Late August, 1883, both Garrett and Hassam sailed aboard the [http://rmhh.co.uk/ships/pages/Alsatia-2.html SS Alsatia] to several Spanish ports before crossing the Atlantic back home.
After they both returned to Boston, Garrett resumed his illustration work for various publishers, which was very much in demand, keeping him from spending energy on his watercolors. During this time, Garrett worked at a studio located at [http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=12+west+street,+boston,+ma&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.683309,70.488281&ie=UTF8&ll=42.38539,-71.0737&spn=0.004295,0.008605&z=17&om=1 12 West Street] in Boston, which he shared with Hassam and fellow-artist Charles Henry Turner (not the zoologist).
In 1884, Garrett exhibited two watercolors at the Pennsylvania Academy ("A Street in
Granada" and "El Mirador de la Reina, Alhambra") in 1884. He also exhibited "A Street in Granada" at the "Third Annual Exhibition of the Paint and Clay Club," which was held at the Gallery of the Boston Art Club March, 1884.
During the last two decades of the nineteenth century, Edmund Garrett's paintings and etchings were widely exhibited throughout the United States and in France at the
During his lifetime, Garrett was a prolific illustrator of many books and publications, including various books of poetry by Tennyson, Keats, and Schiller; the Legends of
King Arthur; Austen's "Pride & Prejudice] "; Marie Louise de la Ramée's ( Ouida's) " A Dog of Flanders"; stories by Alexandre Dumas; various books of Elizabethan and Victorian songs; and other books by Longfellow, Sir Walter Scott, Shelley, Wordsworth, and Hawthorne, among others.
Today, Garrett's works adorn the walls of the
Art Institute of Chicago, Metropolitan Museum of Artin New York, and the New York Public Library, the Boston Public Library, and the Massachusetts State House. Other works appear in collections at the Public Library in Winchester, Mass; Calumet Club (Boston, Mass.), Brookside Library; Conant Memorial Church; and the Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco.
Garrett died in
Needham, Massachusettson April 2, 1929.
Partial List of Books Illustrated/Compiled by Edmund Garrett
* "The Village Blacksmith" by
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, 1880
* "Song of the Bell" by
Friedrich Schiller, 1882
* "Come into the Garden, Maud" by
Alfred Tennyson, 1883
* "Bingen on the Rhine" by Caroline E.S. Norton, 1883
* "Lady Clare" by
Alfred Tennyson, 1884
* "Eve of St. Agnes" by
John Keats, 1885
* "Favorite Poems and the High Tide on the Coast of Lincolnshire 1571" by
Jean Ingelow, 1886
* "Pilgrims of the Night" collected and Illustrated by Edmund H. Garrett, 1887
* "Ballads About Authors" by Harriet Spofford, 1887
* "The Closing Scene" by Thomas Buchanan Read, 1887
* "Christmas in the Olden Time" by
Sir Walter Scott, 1887
* "Ballads of Romance & History" by Susan Coolidge, et al., 1887
Enoch Arden" by Alfred Tennyson, 1888
* "Fairy Lilian & Other Poems" by
Alfred Tennyson, 1888
* "From Greenland's Icy Mountains" by Bishop Heber, 1889
* "Rab and His Friends" by John Brown, 1890
* "Annie & Willie's Prayer" by Sophie P. Snow, 1890
* "The Blind Musician" by
Vladimir Korolenko, 1890
* "Elizabethan Songs in Honour of Love And Beautie", Compiled and Illustrated by Edmund Henry Garrett, 1891
* "Roses of Romance from the Poems of
John Keats", Selected and Illustrated by Edmund H. Garrett, 1891
* "Flowers of Fancy" by
Percy Shelley, 1891
* "Ailes d'Alouette" by F.W. Bourdillon, 1891
* "The Novels of Jame Austen (Volumes 1 through 6)" by
Jane Austen, 1892
* "Bimbi, Stories for Children" by
Ouida( Maria Louise Ramé), 1892
* "Poems" by
William Wordsworth, edited by Matthew Arnold, 1892
* "Echoes from the Sabine Farm" by Eugene & Rowell Martin Field, 1893
* "Yanko the Musician & Other Stories" by
Henryk Sienkiewicz, 1893
* "Three Heroines of New England Romance" by Harriet P. Spofford, 1894
Jane Eyre: An Autobiography" by Charlotte Bronte, 1895
* "Victorian Songs: Lyrics of the Affections and Nature", Edited and Illustrated by Edmund H. Garrett, 1895
* "Carmen: A Memoir" by
Prosper Mérimée, 1896
* "Camilla: A Novel" by Richert Von Koch, 1896
* "Romances and Reality of the Puritan Coast" by Edmund H. Garrett, 1897
* "Two Little Wooden Shoes: A Story" by
Ouida( Maria Louise Ramé), 1897
* "Quo Vadis: A Narrative of the Time of Nero" by
Henryk Sienkiewicz, 1897
* "Hypatia or New Foes with Old Faces" by Charle Kingsley and Edmund H. Garrett, 1897
* "The She-Wolves Of Machecoul; A Romance Of The Last Vendee; to which is added The Corsican Brothers; in two volumes. The Romances of Alexandre Dumas: volumes forty-four, and forty-five" by
Alexandre Dumas, 1897
* "Twenty Years After; A Romance Of The Regency Of Anne Of Austria, in two volumes. The Romances of Alexandre Dumas: volumes eighteen, and nineteen" by
Alexandre Dumas, 1897
* "The Gray House of the Quarries" by Mary Harriott Norris, 1898
* "The Nurnberg Stove" by
Ouida( Maria Louise Ramé), 1898
* "An Account of Anne Bradstreet, The Puritan Poetess & Kindred Topics" edited by Colonel Luther Caldwell, 1898
* "Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam" by Khayyam Omar, 1898
* "By the Fireside; A Book of Good Stories for Young People" Illustrated by Edmund H. Garrett, 1898
* "Backlog Studies" by
Charles Dudley Warner, 1899
* "The Hunter Cats" by Helen Jackson, 1899
The Three Musketeers" by Alexandre Dumas, 1899
* "Notes of Travel" by
Nathaniel Hawthorne, 1900
* "Legends of
King Arthurand His Court" by Frances Nimmo Greene, 1901
* "The Pilgrim Shore of the Massachusetts Coast" by Edmund H. Garrett, 1902
* "Celebrated Crimes" by
Alexandre Dumas, 1902
* "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes & Other Poems" by F.W. Bourdillon, 1903
* "Bookplates Selected from the Works of Edmund H. Garrett, and a Notice of Them by Wililam Howe Downes", 1904
* "Vicomte de Bragelonne (Vol. III)" by
Alexandre Dumas, 1904
* "Stories from Famous Ballads" by Grace Greenwood (
Sara Jane Lippincott) and edited by Caroline Burnite, 1906
* "Snow-Bound: A Writers Idyl" by
John Greenleaf Whittier, 1906. (Reprinted in 2007)
* "Venetian Life" by
William Dean Howells, 1907
A Dog of Flanders& Other Stories" by Ouida( Maria Louise Ramé), 1910
* "Travelers Five Along Life's Highway: Jimmy, Gideon Wiggan, The Clown, Wexley Snathers, Bap. Sloan" by Annie Fellows Johnson, 1911
* "The Sword of Bussy, or the Word of a Gentleman" by Robert Neison Stephans and Herman Nickerson, 1912
* "The Island of Beautiful Things: A Romance of the South" by
Will Allen Dromgoole, 1912
* "John O'Partletts: A Tale of Strength & Courage" by Jean Edgerton Hovey, 1913
* "Moufflou and Other Stories" by
Ouida( Maria Louise Ramé), 1917
* "A Flower of Monterey (A Romance of the Californias)" by Katherine B. Hamill, 1921
List of His March 1884 Exhibited Watercolors [From "Pre-1877 Art Exhibition Catalogue Index", Smithsonian American Art Museum, P.O. Box 37012, MRC 970, Washington, D.C. 20013-7012 ]
* "A Street in Granada"
* "Boats at Venice"
* "Study of a Chateau Gateway"
* "March in New England"
* "Early Spring, Milton Meadows"
* "Street in Denia, Spain"
* "Rock of Dumbarton"
* [http://www.bostonartclub.com Boston Art Club: Official website]
* [http://www.askart.com/askart/g/edmund_henry_garrett/edmund_henry_garrett.aspx Article about Edmund Garrett on AskArt.com]
* [http://www.fineoldart.com/browse_by_essay.html?essay=277 Article about Edmund Garrett on FineOldArt.com]
* [http://www.artoftheprint.com/artistpages/garrett_edmund_garrett_nearmattakeesett.htm Article about Edmund Garrett on ArtofthePrint.com]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.