- Dharan (music director)
Dharan Born October 8, 1983 
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Genres Film score, Hip hop Occupations Film composer, music director Years active 2006–present
Dharan is an Indian music composer, who mainly produces film scores and soundtracks in the Tamil film industry. He rose to fame with Parijatham, featuring the hit single "Unnai Kandene", which marked his debut as a film score composer.
Dharan was born on 8 October 1983 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. He did his schooling at St. Johns, Don Bosco Matriculation Higher Secondary School and Anna Gem schools in Chennai. He starting working as an assistant to composer Harris Jayaraj in the films Kaakha Kaakha, Chellame and Anniyan. He is famous actress Devika's nephew.
Dharan used to participate in music programs in the college, director K. Bhagyaraj's daughter Saranya studied in. For her debut venture, Parijatham, directed by her father, Saranya recommended Dharan as the film composer, by which he happened to enter the Tamil film industry. The album became a chartbuster, with the song "Unnai Kandaene" being listed among the top ten songs of the year  and earning him a name in the industry. Sify in its review described Dharan's songs and background score as "a major highlight" of the film, which itself became a commercial successful as well.
His next release was the soundtrack album to the low-budget horror thriller Sivi that starred newcomers. The album received very positive reviews and response as well, while Dharan's background score was highly appreciated by critics and described as "haunting", and "top-class" that gives the film "its true color". Behindwoods, in particular, praised his work, citing that Dharan had "enjoyed his work and threatened [the audience] continuously with his music", further adding that he had understood his role "perfectly well" and "delivered the goods with a sharp flourish". The film, despite garnering favorable reviews, performed poorly at the box office. Only 2009, his next album, the soundtrack to the gangster film Laadam, released, which prominently featured Hip-hop music, cronned by popular Malaysian rappers Dr. Burn and Emcee Jezz. The film, directed by Prabu Solomon, also bombed at the box office, failing to propel his career.
In 2010, Dharan first release was Bharath's Thambikku Indha Ooru, which, too was highly unsuccessful at the box office, while his next release would be Siddu, collaborating again with K. Bhagyaraj. The soundtrack to the film was released in 2009 already, for which he made composer Yuvan Shankar Raja and director Venkat Prabhu to sing each a song, with the former's song "Poove Poove" emerging a chartbuster. He makes his Malayalam debut with The Thriller, starring Prithviraj Sukumaran and is currently working on the Salsa-based romantic-musical Podaa Podi, starring Silambarasan.
Dharan has worked on non-film projects as well. In 2009, he produced a single "Sing One More Time" as a tribute to Michael Jackson, who Dharan describes as his "biggest insipration in his childhood". The single, which also partly features lyrics by him, was rendered by ten singers and released as a video album. He had also composed the theme song for the 2010 Challenger Beach Volleyball Championship, held in Chennai, apart from composing jingles for television advertisements.
All the Tamil viewers of Maanada Mayilaada live show at Kalignar TV should have heard of the "Kuthu" in the beginning of the program in which, so called beautiful judges, Kala, Brindha, Kushakka and Nami dance with their hands raised and whirling in air.
Year Tamil Telugu Other languages Notes 2006 Parijatham 2007 Sivi 2008 Yaaradi Nee Mohini 2 songs (Second release) 2009 Laadam 16 Days Naan Aval Adhu Nenu Tanu Aame 1 song (Promo) Siddu 2010 Thambikku Indha Ooru Varasudochadu The Thriller (Malayalam) 2011 Podaa Podi Filming Ethiri En 3 Filming
- ^ a b http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/oct-10-02/dharan-08-10-10.html
- ^ a b c d http://movies.rediff.com/slide-show/2009/aug/31/slide-show-1-south-tamil-singers-pay-tribute-to-mj.htm
- ^ http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/28077.html
- ^ http://sify.com/movies/parijatham-is-a-hit-news-tamil-kkfvjMibjif.html
- ^ http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-articles/movies-06/sivi-music-review.html
- ^ http://in.movies.yahoo.com/news-detail/5869/Bheema-VS-Sivi.html
- ^ a b http://sify.com/movies/tamil/review.php?id=14530968&ctid=5&cid=2429
- ^ a b http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/review/9344.html
- ^ a b http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-articles/movies-06/sivi-review.html
- ^ http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/oct-09-04/shantanu-siddu-plus-2-k-bagyaraj-21-10-09.html
- ^ a b http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/music/Poda-Podi-is-a-romantic-musical-Dharan/articleshow/6251962.cms
- ^ http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/aug-09-05/dharan-29-08-09.html
- ^ http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/speednewsshow/6649351.cms
- Tamil people
- Living people
- Tamil musicians
- Tamil film score composers
- Kollywood playback singers
- 1983 births
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.