- Mount Compass, South Australia
Population: 695 (2006 Census) Postcode: 5210 Location: 50 km (31 mi) South of Adelaide LGA: Alexandrina Council State District: Electoral district of Finniss Federal Division: Division of Mayo Mean max temp Mean min temp Annual rainfall 19.6 °C
Mount Compass is a town in the Fleurieu Peninsula, on the A13 south of Adelaide, and North of Victor Harbor. It is a small community, traditionally supported by farming. Both market gardens and dairy have proved lucrative in the area. At the 2006 census, Mount Compass had a population of 695.
There is also a local area school that covers from years R-12 with the focus farm project that is run on the adjacent farm to the school.
Since 1973, Mount Compass has hosted the country's only Cow Race, the Compass Cup. Originally conceived as a way to bring together the surrounding communities by the late Marcy Stewart, it has become a regional institution that attracts thousands of visits to the town over the weekend.
Born in and Notable Residents of Mount Compass
- Ronald Ekers, Radio Astronomer
Mount Compass Golf Club
- ^ a b Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Mount Compass (L) (Urban Centre/Locality)". 2006 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/LocationSearch?collection=Census&period=2006&areacode=UCL417280&producttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- ^ "Mount Compass". Gazetteer of Australia online. Geoscience Australia, Australian Government. http://www.ga.gov.au/bin/gazd01?rec=167872.
- ^ Visit Alexandrina - Mount Compass - Tourist Information, Alexandrina Council, Accessed 25/9/07
- ^ Willunga - South Australia, SMH, Published 8 Feb 2004, Accessed 25/9/07
- ^ http://www.compasscup.com.au/ Compass Cup
- Climate statistics for Australia locations Kuipto 1971 - 1998, Bureau of Meteorology,Accessed 25/9/07
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.