- University of South Florida College of Public Health
name = University of South Florida College of Public Health
established = 1971
type = Public
dean = Donna J. Petersen, MHS, ScD
enrollment = 468 for 2006-2007
377 M.S. (MPH, MSPH, MHA)
faculty = 127
staff = 215
country = USA
campus = Urban
mascot=Rocky D. Bull
Greenand Gold color box|#336633color box|#cccc99
website = http://www.hsc.usf.edu/Opened in 1984, University of South Florida College of Public Health, offers Masters degrees in Public Health (MPH), Science in Public Health (MSPH), and Health Administration (MHA), along with a doctorate (PhD) in Public Health and several dual degrees in collaboration with other colleges- most notably the dual PhD/MPH program in Applied Anthropology. The MHA in Public Health Practice is an innovative program for health professionals which can be attained through weekend executive or distance learning format.
The College offers classes at the north
Tampa, Floridacampus and at satellite locations throughout Florida. Using the Internet, the Distance Learning Program gives students anywhere in Florida, at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Georgia and in Belizethe opportunity to complete select courses or earn the MPH degree in Public Health Practice.
University of South Florida College of Public Healthis the only public health college in Floridaaccredited by the Council on Education for Public Health. It has 5 main departments:
* "The Community and Family Health Department" offers degrees in Maternal and Child Health, Public Health Education, Behavioral Health, Socio-Health Sciences, and Community and Family Health.
* "The Environmental and Occupational Health Department" offers degrees in Environmental Health, Toxicology and Risk Assessment, Safety Management, Industrial Hygiene, and Occupational Health.
* "The Epidemiology and Biostatistics Department" offers degrees in Epidemiology and Biostatistics along with combined degrees in Epidemiology and Biostatis as well as Epidemiology and Global Health.
* "The Global Health Department" offers degrees in Global Communicable Disease, Global Health Practice, and a combined degree in Epidemiology and Global Health.
* " The Health Policy and Management" offers degrees in Health Policy and Management, Health Administration, Health Care Organization and Management, Public Health Administration, and Health Policies and Programs.
* The school also offers college wide degrees in Public Health Practices and Masters International Peace Corps Program.
The College's population-based research helps to promote health and prevent disease across the life span in Florida and the global community. The College's research centers include the following:
* Center for Biological Defense
* Global Center for Disaster Management and Humanitarian Action
* The Florida Prevention Research Center
* Harrell Center for the Study of Family Violence
* Center for Positive Health
* Center for Leadership in Public Health Practice
* Sunshine Education and Research Center
* Center for Health, HIV/AIDS Research and Training in India (CHART)
* Lawton and Rhea Chiles Center for Healthy Mothers and Babies
* OSHA Training Institute Education Center
Hinks & Elaine Shimberg Health Science Library
Founded in 1971, the Hinks & Elaine Shimberg Health Science Library serves the
University of South Florida College of Medicine, the University of South Florida College of Nursing, and the University of South Florida College of Public Health.
* [http://www.hsc.usf.edu/ University of South Florida Health]
* [http://www.cancer.gov/ National Cancer Institute]
* [http://www.nih.gov/ National Institutes of Health]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.