- Shamo (chicken)
Shamo or Ko-Shamo (軍鶏 or シャモ) is a breed of
chickenof Japanwhich was originated in Thailand. The name "Shamo" was a corruption of "Siam" during the early Edo periodbut has been selectively bred for several hundred years and is very different from the original stock. This breed is used for naked heeled cockboxing in Japan cockfight, where it is still legal. It is also bred all over the world for its show quality.
* oo-shamo (Large Shamo, 大軍鶏)
* chu-shamo (Medium Shamo, 中軍鶏)
* ko-shamo (Small Shamo, 小軍鶏)
* nanjin-shamo (Nanjin Shamo, 南京軍鶏)
* [http://www.japanosh.info/poultry.html Breeds of Shamo]
* [http://www.pet-nobu.com/hp/doubutu/1a/oosyamo.htm Oo Shamo] (in Japanese)
* [http://www.gene.affrc.go.jp/animal/chicken/chushamo-to.html Chu Shamo] (in Japanese)
* [http://ozashiki.cside.com/niwatori/koshamo.htm Ko Shamo] (in Japanese)
* [http://ltba.org - Louisiana Tape Boxing Association (LTBA)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.