- Jenny Holzer
name = Jenny Holzer
imagesize = 180px
birthname = Jenny Holzer
birthdate = 1950
location = Gallipolis, Ohio
nationality = American
Jenny Holzer (born 1950 in
Gallipolis, Ohio) is an American conceptual artist. She attended Ohio University(in Athens, Ohio), Rhode Island School of Design, and the Independent Study Program at the Whitney Museum of American Art. Holzer was originally an abstract artist, focusing on painting and printmaking; after moving to New York Cityin 1977, she began working with text as art. She was an active member of the artist's group Colab.
The main focus of her work is the use of words and ideas in
public space. Street posters are her favorite medium, and she also makes use of a variety of other media, including LEDsigns, plaques, benches, stickers, T-shirts, and the Internet. Her work has also been integrated into the work of Canadian contemporary dancetroupe Holy Body Tattoo.
*"Truisms" (1977–) [http://mfx.dasburo.com/art/truisms.html] is probably her most well-known work. Holzer has compiled a series of statements and
aphorisms ("truisms") and has publicised them in a variety of ways: listed on street posters, in telephone booths, and even, in 1982, on one of Times Square's gigantic LED billboards, or in 1999 on a BMW V12 LMRrace car for the 24 Hours of Le Mans
*"Inflammatory Essays" (1978–79), in which she brought texts influenced by Trotsky, Hitler, Mao, Lenin, and
Emma Goldmanonto the streets
*"Living Series" (early 1980s), using more monumental media such as bronze plaques and billboards
*"Survival Series" (1983–1985), with more militant aphorisms, including "Men Don't Protect You Anymore," a phrase reproduced on condoms and street billboards alike
*"Under a Rock"
*"Child Text", a piece on motherhood for the 1990
*"Green Table" (1992), a large granite picnic table with inscriptions, part of the
Stuart Collectionof public art on the campus of the University of California, San Diego
*"Please Change Beliefs" (1995) [http://adaweb.walkerart.org/project/holzer/cgi/pcb.cgi] , created for the
internet artgallery adaweb[http://adaweb.walkerart.org] .
*"Installation for the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao" (1997) Permanent Installation, located off the main room of the Guggenheim Bilbao, with tall LED columns of text in English (red, on the front side) and Basque (blue, on the back side).
*"Protect Me From What I Want", The 15th iteration of
BMWs famous Art Cars [http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/artcars/] . Painted on the BMW V12 LMR, the aforementioned refrain is written in metal foil, oultined with phosphorescent paint. In addition, the phrase "You are so complex, you don't respond to danger" is written on the cars sidepods. The car was withdrawn from the 1999 24 Hours of Le Mans, but saw active competition for the 2000 Petit Le Mans, finishing fifth overall.
*"For the City" (2005), nighttime projections of declassified government documents on the exterior of
New York University's Bobst Library, and poetry on the exteriors of Rockefeller Centerand the New York Public Libraryin Manhattan [http://www.creativetime.org/programs/archive/2005/holzer/index1.html]
*"For the Capitol" (2007), nighttime projections of quotes by Presidents
John F. Kennedyand Theodore Rooseveltabout the role of artand culturein American Society. Projected from the Kennedy Center for the Performing Artsonto the Potomac Riverand Roosevelt Island in Washington DC. [http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/12/AR2007091202441.html]
* Vectors Journal of Culture and Technology in a Dynamic Vernacular
* [http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/holzer/ Biography, interviews, essays, artwork images and video clips] from PBS series "" - Season 4 (2007).
*" [http://www.metropolismag.com/cda/story.php?artid=1894 Ground Zero’s Saving Grace] " Metropolis Magazine - Installation at
7 World Trade Center
* [http://www.guggenheimcollection.org/site/artist_work_lg_65_1s.html Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum installation]
* " [http://adaweb.walkerart.org/project/holzer/cgi/pcb.cgi Please Change Beliefs] " Visitors to the website are allowed to evaluate and modify a selection of Holzer's Truisms.
* [http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05201/540559.stm Blue light special of a different kind tells a good story] post-gazette.com - July 20, 2005
* [http://www.erasmuspc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=203&Itemid=81 Article with photos about Holzer's light projections in London]
* [http://www.erasmuspc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=252&Itemid=81 Work of art by Jenny Holzer in Goslar, Germany]
* [http://shuffleboil.com/2007/12/20/jenny-holzer/ November, 2007 interview with Holzer about her installation at the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art]
* [http://twitter.com/jennyholzer Jennifer Holzer on Twitter]
* [http://www.vdb.org/smackn.acgi$artistdetail?HOLZERJ Jenny Holzer] in the [http://www.vdb.org/ Video Data Bank]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.