- Sexual network
A sexual network is a
social networkthat is defined by the sexual relationships within a set of individuals.
tudies and discoveries
Like other forms of social networks, sexual networks can be formally studied using the mathematics of
Recent epidemiological studies (see below) have investigated sexual networks, and discovered that the statistical properties of sexual networks are crucial to the spread of
venereal disease(VD). Sub-graphs, both large and small, can be defined within the overall sexual network graph; for example, people who frequent particular bars or clubs, belong to a particular ethnic group or take part in a particular type of sexual activity, or are part of a particular outbreak of a VD. In particular, assortative mixingbetween people with large numbers of sexual partners seems to be an important factor in the spread of VD.
In a surprising result, mathematical models predict that the sexual network graph for the human race appears to have a single
giant componentthat indirectly links almost all people who have had more than one sexual partner, and a great many of those who have had only one sexual partner (if their one sexual partner was themselves part of the giant component). Most people who are not part of the giant component are either virgins, or couples who have never had sex with anyone except each other.
For serious epidemiological work, the time sequence of sexual contacts is important.
Small world effect
Transmission risks and rates
* Kretzschmar, Mirjam. "Sexual network structure and sexually transmitted disease prevention: a modeling perspective". "Sexually Transmitted Diseases" volume 27, number 10 (November 2000): pages 627– 35.
* F. Liljeros et al., "The web of human sexual contacts", ‘‘Nature", Vol. 411, No.6840, 2001 June
* P. De "et al." [http://sextrans.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/80/4/280 Sexual network analysis of a gonorrhea outbreak] "Sex Transm Infect" 2004;80:280-285
* Bearman PS, Moody J, Stovel K. " [http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/chains.htm Chains of affection] : The structure of adolescent romantic and sexual networks,” "American Journal of Sociology" , Vol. 110, No. 1, 2004.
* [http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/chains.htm Researchers map the sexual network of an entire high school]
* [http://attrition.org/hosted/sexchart/ the Sex Chart - an ASCII representation of everyone you have kissed]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.