Judas (Greek: Ιούδας) is the anglicized Greek rendering of the Hebrew name Yehudah (Hebrew: יְהוּדָה), also rendered in English as Judah.
- Judah (Biblical figure), a son of the patriarch Jacob and, according to the Bible, ancestor of the Davidic royal line of ancient Israel.
By Hellenitic times Judah (Heb. Yehudah) had become a common first name among Jews (whose collective name - "Yehudim" יהודים in Hebrew - is also derived from the same source) and, in the English form Judah, has remained so up to the present. Specifically, it was a common first name in the first century AD Jewish society inside which Christianity came into being.
- A name in the New Testament referring to one or more individuals, some of whom may be the same:
- Judas Iscariot, the apostle of Jesus Christ who betrayed him
- Judas Thomas Didymus, commonly referred to as Saint Thomas and Doubting Thomas
- Judas Thaddaeus, son of James, one of the twelve apostles
- Saint Jude, a brother, stepbrother, or half-brother, to Jesus
- Judas the Zealot, whose identity is not completely clear, probably either of:
- Saint Jude, who some traditions think is Judas Thomas Didymus
- Simon the Zealot, the apostle named Simon that was not Simon Peter
- Judas Barsabbas, an emissary of the Church of Jerusalem to the Church at Antioch.
- Judas of Galilee, also Judas of Gamala, Jewish revolt leader
- Judas, in whose house on the Street called Straight in Damascus Saul of Tarsus regained his sight
- Judas Cyriacus, man said to have assisted Helena of Constantinople find the True Cross
- Judas Maccabeus, a founder of the Hasmonean dynasty
- Judas Mesias, a ringname of professional wrestler Ricky Benderas (born Gilbert Cosme), used while competing in Total Nonstop Action wrestling
- Judah P. Benjamin - American Jewish politician, holder of Cabinet posts in the Confederate States of America
- Judas (ballad) from the 13th century
- Júdás, a 1918 Hungarian film
- Judas (film), a 2004 film
- Judas Priest, an English heavy metal band from Birmingham
- "Judas", a 1986 single by Helloween
- "Judas", a 1993 song by Depeche Mode from their eighth album, Songs of Faith and Devotion
- "Judas", a 2007 song by Kelly Clarkson from her third album, My December
- "Judas", a 2008 song by Cage the Elephant from their debut self titled album
- "Judas", a 2008 song by The Verve from their fourth album, Forth
- "Judas Kiss", a 2008 song by Metallica from their album Death Magnetic
- "Judas" (song), a 2011 single by Lady Gaga from her third album, Born This Way
- Judas (manga) a manga by Suu Minazuki
- The Gospel of Judas, ancient Gnostic Gospel
- Judas goat, a goat trained to lead livestock to a slaughterhouse
- A traitor, after Judas Iscariot
- A peephole in a doorway, usually with a movable cover
- A character in the TurboGrafx-16 game Dungeon Explorer
- A character in Tales of Destiny 2, who betrayed the team in the previous game
- Judah (disambiguation)
This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.