- Ella (singer)
Infobox musical artist
Name = Norzila Aminuddin
Img_capt = Ella Aminuddin.jpg
Background = solo_singer
Birth_name = Norzila binti Haji Aminuddin
Born = Birth date and age|1966|7|31
Gelugor, Penang, Malaysia
Klang Valley, Malaysia
Singer, Vocalist, Entrepreneur
Years_active = 1985 - Present
Label = EMI Malaysia
Norzila binti Haji Aminuddin or Ella (born
July 31, 1966) is a popular Malaysian rock musician. Ratu Rock is Malay for "Queen of Rock" and this is an apt title for this compilation of Malaysian female rockstar Ella's more well-known hit songs spanning the 1990s to today. Ella still holds at the time of writing the local record for the bestselling female artist for pushing more than 300,000 copies of her records during the peak of her career. She also become an international icon and one of the 'Richest Artist' in Malaysia.
Ella hails from
Gelugor, Penangand was raised in the Klang Valleyin Selangor. She lives with her parents, along with her other siblings. During her schooling days, she was often invited to sing at many ceremonies held in her alma mater. Ella completed her studies while she was in Form Five at the Tunku Ampuan Rahimah Girls School in Klang Valley. Before she was a master in the arts field, she used to sing in various places in the Klang Valley such as in night clubs and lounges. After singing in one of those clubs, Ella was proposed to one of the bands called "The Boys" who were also night club singers. After a discussion, Ella finally agreed to merge with their band and they were given the name ( Ella & The Boys )
Finally, Ella & The Boys was successful in winning the hearts of the viewers and fans, thus putting them in the same row as other popular bands such as Search and Wings as the best grouped singers in Malaysia. Unfortunately, the band Ella & The Boys only lasted for three years because Ella has made the decision to go solo in the music industry. After making that decision, she decided to record her first solo album, that is "Pengemis Cinta" which was a platinum album. This song made her one of the most popular female artistes in Malaysia. After launching a successful album, she was proposed by the EMI Malaysia Recording Label in 1992. Just after Ella agreed to the proposal, she appeared with her fourth solo album that is "ELLA 30110" that sold a lot in a short time. After that, Ella went to recording her fifth album in the
United Statesin 1994. This made her the first Malaysian artiste to record a full album in the United States at that. It was title "ELLA USA", and this album even surpassed the sales of her fourth album. It sold 350 000 units and thus, this made her Malaysia's highest selling album for a female artiste. Ella also has perform in Japan, Indonesia, Singapore, Brunei, China, Hong Kong, and United States. She has many fans in Indonesiaand at the same time, Ella is also known as Rock Diva Of Malay Archipelago and Asia.
She was able to garner the title "Jutawan" (or Millionaire) that was already obtained by other artistes such as
Yusof Haslam, Sharifah Aini, Tan Sri SM Salim, the late Sudirman Arshad, Sheila Majidand Jamal Abdillah. After the successful releases of "ELLA USA" and "ELLA 30110", Ella received recognition from the Malaysian Book of Recordsas "Malaysia's First Artiste With the Highest Number of Sold Albums" ("Artis Malaysia Pertama Mempunyai Penjualan Album Terbanyak") and "Malaysia's First Artiste to Record a Full Album in the United States" ("Artis Malaysia Pertama Merakamkan Album Penuh Di Amerika Syarikat").
In 1998, Ella was chosen to sing the song "Standing In The Eyes Of The World", the theme song of the
1998 Commonwealth Gamesin Malaysia. This song was then made into an album of the similar name. In 1999, Ella produced her ninth album, that is "EL" with the help of Slash (musician)and Guns N' Roses.
In 2000, Ella stopped producing new albums and remained solitary for a while due to the fact that she wanted to pay more attention and concentrate more in the fashion industry, which she likes. After a year of silence, she finally produced an album titled "Ilham Bicara". Despite receiving mixed reviews from the public, Ella is still listed in the list of artistes with the highest/best number of sold albums. In 2003, she produced her 20th album that is "Simbiosis". This album managed to attract the attention of radio listeners which caused this album the earn a platinum. Two years later, in 2005, Ella produce an album containing all of her songs from the rock era until the millennium period, that was titled " Ella A Journey Beyond". In the same year, she created another album with the title "Ratu Rock", that was Ella's special album in conjunction with Ella's 20 years' experience in the field of arts. This album, too received a platinum. In 2007, Ella released a solo album that was titled "Rama - Rama" (literally : "Butterfly") with a whole new breath. "Rama - Rama" attracted the publics attention and is one of the most popular songs of 2007. This song also gave a big impact by topping Era's charts for almost ten weeks.
After her success in creating a name in the arts field, she finally decided that she wanted to master commerce which was her dream all along. She managed to open and develop various companies because of her hard work. Some of the companies she founded include Ella's Production, Ella Inc's Sdn Bhd and "Syarikat Ombak Warna Sdn Bhd". Until today, she remains one of Malaysia's successful entrepreneurs. Ella used to manage many businesses such as importing and exporting items that were made by her own companies. Today, she creates health care and beauty products which uses her own name, that is "ELLA". These products are not only popular domestically, but are even noted in several neighbouring countries such as
Singapore, Indonesiaand Brunei.
* 1985 - The Battle Of The Bands 1 (Ella & The Boys)
* 1986 - The Battle Of The Bands 2 (Ella & The Boys)
* 1986 - Ella & The Boys 1
* 1987 - Ella & The Boys 2
* 1988 - Pengemis Cinta (Platinum)
* 1989 - Puteri Kota (Platinum)
* 1989 - Sembilu
* 1990 - Identiti (Platinum)
* 1990 - Unggul
* 1991 - Mendung Tidak Bererti Hujan
* 1991 - Kesal
* 1991 - Ella Mood (Malaysia's first video album)
* 1992 - 30110 - Over 300,000 units sold (100,000 units were sold in the first week alone)
* 1993 - Ella 'Sebuah Rockumentari' (Ella's second video album)
* 1994 - Ella USA (Over 300,000 units sold)
* 1995 - 8494 (Compilation)
* 1996 - Demi (Compilation)
* 1997 - Jalan Ke Sisi Mu
* 1998 -
Standing In The Eyes Of The World(The official 1998 Commonwealth Gamestheme song )
* 1999 - El
* 2000 - Baldu Biru (Compilation - Duet with Awie)
* 2000 - Diva Metal-Ella
* 2001 - Ilham Bicara
* 2003 - Simbiosis
* 2005 - A Journey Beyond (Compilation)
* 2005 - Ratu Rock (Compilation)
* 2006 - Urban Strike (The Queen of Rock's Recognition Album)
* 2007 - Rama Rama
* Jalan Ke Sisimu
* Cerah Kembali
* I.S.A (Ikut Suka Aku)
* Rindu Padamu
* Malam Ini
* Cinta Pertama
* Sembilu - G2 Only
* Layar Impian
* Kita Lah Bintang
* Kabus & Sirna
* Penjara Misteri
* 12 Purnama
* Bendera Damai
* Mat Kental
* Cinta Selembut Sutera
* Aku Kau Dia
* Esok Lusa Selamanya
* Ala Amerika
* Itulah Saya
* Pengemis Cinta
* Standing In The Eyes Of The World
* Dua Insan Bercinta - duet with Amy
* Hanya Pada Kamu
* Terima Kasih
* Ulek Mayang
* Luka Terbisa
* Kau Saja Yang Tahu
* Dunia Batinku - duet with the rock band Spider
* Rama Rama
* aku tak tahu
* Hilman, Kau Kekasihku
* Bayangan Maut (1990)
* Pemburu Bayang (1992)
* Hanya Kawan (1997)
* Winning the competition Battle of the Bands (BOTB), sponsored by
Radio Televisyen Malaysia
* First Malaysian artiste to release a video album, that is "Ella-Mood' (1991)
* Former ambassador of many popular brands such as
L.A Gear, Levi's and Canon
* Malaysia's highest selling album for a female vocalist, that is for the album "Ella USA", which sold 350 000 units.
* Malaysia's only female rock artiste that is still standing today.
* Ambassador of the Red Cross Society in Malaysia before
* Ella made an appearance on an American television station called
MTV. She is also the only Malaysian artiste that has ever been interviewed by MTV after Datuk Sharifah Aini.
* First Malaysian artiste to record a full album in the United States.
* Chosen as a Role Model by the "Yayasan Kebajikan Negara" to promote positive thinking among teenagers.
* Won the Most Popular Female Artiste Award in 1993 "(Anugerah Bintang Popular
* Ella once donated MYR 100 000 to the Red Cross Society (Malaysia)
* Received recognition from the Malaysian Book of Records as "Malaysia's First Artiste With the Highest Number of Best-Selling Albums" ("Artis Malaysia Pertama Mempunyai Penjualan Album Terbanyak"; 1998)
* Main character in three films called "Bayangan Maut" (1990), "Pemburu Bayang" (1992) and "Hanya Kawan" (1997).
* First Malaysian artiste to receive a platinum award five times.
* Host of the
MTV Asian Awardsin 2003.
* [http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=7146207881 Ella & The Boys Facebook Site]
* [http://www.ella.com.my Official website]
* [http://www.geocities.com/elladivarock/ www.geocities.com/elladivarock/]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.